RAKIM - House of Blues. things that make you go...

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
9/17My gut is saying on the strength, but my wallet argues $25 and points toward my rap LPs.Has anybody seen Rakim recently? Thoughts?

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I would jump at any opportunity to see Rakim.
    Rap concerts aren't a dime a dozen in Jamaica.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'd catch it. I might.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    He's a legend. Go see him.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The 2 times I've seen him, the show was really boring, and kind of a waste of money. I say go for it though. It's Rakim why not? I'll bring my Electric Prunes LP for him to rock over. If he even has a DJ with him this time.

- spidey

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    doit.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    He just came out here a week or so ago....heard it was a good show.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    OH SHIT THATS THE LADY FROM V!!!!

• 1987 - Poughkeepsie Armory.
    Rakim performing "I Aint No Joke" ACAPELLA before the LP dropped.

Then before he finished his show, a fight broke out followed by several gunshots.
    While the rest of the crowd is in complete panic mode, Eric B just very calmly and methodically layed down his headphones and slowly walked off the stage.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    do it mang, i mean even if Ra isn't spittin his A game, you almost have to go just incase dude never tours again (who knows?)

plus pugslee and intel are opening.. those cats never disappoint. support chicago underground heads that actually get to perform at HOB!

the rill thing will be ATCQ's concert/video game thing going on this weekend..

• do it mang, i mean even if Ra isn't spittin his A game, you almost have to go just incase dude never tours again (who knows?)

my thoughts exactly.

more info?

• I saw Tribe last week in Seattle..

and to answer the posts original question, go check out The God - homie is right... he might never tour again.

If was stopping through town I'd go check him out myself.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

more info?

it's on the 15th at HOB. they're performing but somehow video games are involved. that's the suspect part (eventhough i rocks some xbox) it's the full crew, i think jarobi might even show up, at least he's been in the recent press pics..

• I caught the God here in San Diego last Wednesday. I got there late and only caught the last 4 songs. Heard him do I Ain't No Joke, Eric B is President, a verse from Mahagony (encore) and a verse from Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em (encore). He was on point with the rhymes, sounded good. Kid Capri was Rakim's DJ.

• more info?

ATCQ will be in Milwaukee this Saturday the 16th. I'm guessing the HoB is similar to the Milwaukee venue's description:

By fusing hip-hop with jazz, A Tribe Called Quest jump-started and perfected the hip-hop alternative to hardcore and gangsta rap. Without question the most intelligent, artistic rap group of the 90’s, the band abandoned the macho posturing rap had relied on in favor of abstract philosophy and message tracks, building on De La Soul’s jazz-rap revolution. Their jazz-flavored, R&B-fueled beats define hits like the #1 "Check the Rhime" and Top 5s "Bonita Applebum," "Oh My God" and "Stressed Out." Q-Tip and Phife Dawg fluidly trade off on rhymes with unerring excellence, providing the perfect marriage of intelligent, flowing raps and nuanced, groove-centered productions. Experience one of the most brilliant fusions of jazz atmosphere and hip-hop attitude with the smoothest delivery of any rap act ever heard.

Show up early to try out the latest and greatest video games! Test your gaming skills against local celebrities and athletes in the newest featured game, 2K Sports NBA 2K7. Or try your hand at one of the other 20 video games located in the Gaming Lounge. This will be a multi-media event!

Hmmm. Tickets are $26, plus $2 building fee, plus $7 convenience charge. $35 for the show...$70 if my GF wants to go. Not sure that I want to spend that.

• in retrospect... it would probably be nicer to be able to say "i saw them live" rather than "i almost went".

an extra record on the shelf ain't shit next to a good show.

• the rill thing will be ATCQ's concert/video game thing going on this weekend..

more info?

it's on the 15th at HOB. they're performing but somehow video games are involved. that's the suspect part (eventhough i rocks some xbox) it's the full crew, i think jarobi might even show up, at least he's been in the recent press pics..

Why can't Rakim and ATCQ play on the same night? Jeeeeez. They should battle.

I really want to go to both though. Video games?!?! Who are they marketing to?

• i saw the god a few weeks ago when the wu tour came thru philly. i had never seen him but there was no doubt i was goin since it was wu,reggie(wit epmd!),bcc, etc... the show was dope. it was just rakim bein rakim. sounds exactly like the records, no overexuberance, no bells/whistles. just him bein crazily on point with his lyrics. he walked back and forth on the stage occasionally, (frequently) takin a seat on a speaker while rhymin. shit it was worth the price of admission to hear 'the ghetto' live. kid capri was his dj and he was kinda but its rakim! go for it money. he was on like 50minutes.

enjoy...

• Rakim performed in L.A. last Friday and did an awesome set. Kid Capri was dope on the microwave. I didn't really care about the opening acts and went late but Styles P wasn't that bad and had a live band playing with him. Towards the end of Rakim's set, they had KRS come onstage and do "The Bridge Is Over." The crowd went banannas seeing The R and KRS onstage together. The R defintely moved the crowd and L.A. fans are a tough crowd.

• Rakim performed in L.A. last Friday and did an awesome set. Kid Capri was dope on the microwave. I didn't really care about the opening acts and went late but Styles P wasn't that bad and had a live band playing with him. Towards the end of Rakim's set, they had KRS come onstage and do "The Bridge Is Over." The crowd went banannas seeing The R and KRS onstage together. The R defintely moved the crowd and L.A. fans are a tough crowd.

tight.

WHAT'S MICROWAVE?

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    OH SHIT THATS THE LADY FROM V!!!!

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    9/17

My gut is saying on the strength, but my wallet argues $25 and points toward my rap LPs.

Has anybody seen Rakim recently? Thoughts?

Heads who saw Ra in Austin agreed it was the best show anyone had seen in a LONG time ... the crowd energy made it dope, see below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBcH_Wp4a2s