The Classic Rap-Related Films Thread

13»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

All those "urban dramatic quasi-bougie type" joints.

Are you cosigning these?

Oh yeah, one more thing: Hav Plenty

• one of my favorites:

found this at a flea market once for a dollar. loved it.

one dude from that movie is in "Malibu's Most Wanted"...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

This is so bad... and even worse with director's commentary.
    james toback has this made nothing but trash, except for "fingers" which is pretty damn good.

• one of the most amateurish, craptacular movies of all time....from my hometown of winnipeg!! if dir. noam gonick ever gets funding for another film i will be impressed.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Oh yeah, one more thing: Hav Plenty

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    randomly came across a documentary that followed a rapper from the bronx [i believe] that was type raw. done on a small budget and i remember he was in the studio with g rap. can't remember the name...

anyone seen it?

• 5)Thicker than water

Have you actually watched this?

It's the one where Fat Joe and Mack 10 are siblings separated at birth, right?

Yes.....and it's exactly what you'd expect.....bad acting...low budget..corny script....blah..blah..blah........but speaking in terms of Rapsloitation its better than Killa Season ...worse than Paper Soldiers (two movies i forgot to add to my list) .....i wouldn't recommend any of these films to anyone ..but comparing the movie to others in the genre its slightly above average

Killa Season might be the worst movie I've ever seen. Only thing interesting was the high school ball footage of Cam and Mase. Thicker Than Water was really bad but it had some unintentionally funny moments.

• instant-classics

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Never forget

Not only do they have to deal with Ice T and an evil Leprechaun the rap trio have to try to keep true to their music with a message motto and not sell out to the gangsta ethos.

james toback has this made nothing but trash, except for "fingers" which is pretty damn good.

Couldn't agree more... Fingers is excellent, but it was clearly the only good film dude had in him.

• http://imdb.com/title/tt0106934/

Does anyone else remember seeing this? I remember Lyte being the girlfriend, I think... I watched this one morning, after I got up early around 4am, when I was in highschool. I turned on my tv and it was just starting up on some some movie channel. He worked as a ticket collector on the subway and would rap into the microphone for customers. Not bad, but it's probably been close to 15 years since I saw it last.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00022P...&v=glance&n=130

Has anyone seen this? Any thoughts? I was thinking of copping it, but am sitting on the fence... I want as accurate a story as possible. While I understand no documentary is going to be 100%, I'm also picky about what I buy and don't want some half-assed info.

• randomly came across a documentary that followed a rapper from the bronx [i believe] that was type raw. done on a small budget and i remember he was in the studio with g rap. can't remember the name...

anyone seen it?

does it happen to be called "Off The Hook" or something of that fashion? its a low-budget movie but i thought it was dope. i got the dvd. i think lord finesse did the score?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Couldn't agree more... Fingers is excellent, but it was clearly the only good film dude had in him.
    Whats the 'story' on this film? Whats it aiming for?

Whats the 'story' on this film? Whats it aiming for?

According to Toback's commentary, "this film is the barometer for exactly how you feel about hip-hop culture"... if true, I guess I don't really like "hip-hop culture"

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00022P...&v=glance&n=130

Has anyone seen this? Any thoughts? I was thinking of copping it, but am sitting on the fence... I want as accurate a story as possible. While I understand no documentary is going to be 100%, I'm also picky about what I buy and don't want some half-assed info.

You wont go wrong if you buy this documentary.
    I own it i found it really informative.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    the dirty states doc is pretty great. might be the best thing mentioned in this thread so far.

• i've seen that documentary on the rapper. i believe it was on IFC or sundance channel or something. it was pretty good.

i'm the only person i've ever met that even remotely liked black&white, and i dont even really know why i did.

ghost dog hate = NAGL

• Dope! Thanks for the info guys. I've seen the trailer and reviews seem pretty glowing. I'm interested to see what they speak about in regards to the NOLA bounce stuff and Miami scene.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0113247/

Has anyone seen 'La Haine'? I saw it years ago on CBC (I think it was CBC at least) and was pretty impressed. I didn't know what to expect and was a bit surprised. Godo stuff.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    randomly came across a documentary that followed a rapper from the bronx [i believe] that was type raw. done on a small budget and i remember he was in the studio with g rap. can't remember the name...

anyone seen it?

does it happen to be called "Off The Hook" or something of that fashion? its a low-budget movie but i thought it was dope. i got the dvd. i think lord finesse did the score?

yeah, i think that's it. the three word title sounds right...think it was on ifc.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Are you cosigning these?

Some of them.

Ink Well- no
    Brothers - no
    Brown Sygar - no
    But theyre most of em are Hip Hop generation influenced joints.

Are you cosigning these?

Some of them.

Ink Well- no
    Brothers - no
    Brown Sygar - no
    But theyre most of em are Hip Hop generation influenced joints.

What about...

...Something New?

• BUMP.