The Classic Rap-Related Films Thread

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
looking for joints I may have missed...plaese add on....

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A newer addition to the pantheon:

Often imitated:

It's acquired a new and sad significance in 2006 for all of the footage of neighborhoods that don't really exist anymore.

A visual classic:

Too bad about the plot...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    A visual classic:

I was just going to ask about this one. Never saw it. Cringe-inducing or still worth checking out?

• A visual classic:

I was just going to ask about this one. Never saw it. Cringe-inducing or still worth checking out?

Both, it is nice looking, but the writing is really bad. It does have my favorite line in the history of cinema, as uttered by T-Boz, "African is far!"

Unspeakably bad.

A visual classic:

Both, it is nice looking, but the writing is really bad. It does have my favorite line in the history of cinema, as uttered by T-Boz, "African is far!"

Pretty much. You can pick it up at just about any point in the movie and your viewing experience won't really suffer.

• Fear of A Black Hat

• Unspeakably real[/b].

• A visual classic:

Pretty much. You can pick it up at just about any point in the movie and your viewing experience won't really suffer.

Y'all are tripping to mention Belly and overlook the best scenes and lines of the movie, namely everything Louie Rankin-related.

"Unu waan ramp wit me? Me shot pu**y'ole people fi FUN!"

Beyond that, just watch it on mute and play an early Nas record.

• I cram to understand how this is rap related.

• Don't know if it's appropriate, but add Fresh to the list.

Unspeakably real[/b].

Most rappers are not actually the characters that they portray--wow, what a subtle and revelatory critique!

This movie is trash.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Baby Boy is supposed to be pretty good yeah?

I cram to understand how this is rap related.

Don't let it stress you out, homey. How about urban drama-related?

And another one...

Don't know if it's appropriate, but add Fresh to the list.

That's a good movie, but I'd have to come down on the side of it not being rap-related--I know from recently watching the DVD version with commentary, that the writer/director was consciously trying to tell a story about a Black kid that wasn't a rapsploitation film.

The actor who plays the title character went on to play D'Andre McCullough in The Corner, the only other thing I've seen him in--he desrves to get more work.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

And another one...

GREAT MOVIE!!!

Baby Boy is supposed to be pretty good yeah?

I liked it--maybe even Singleton's best film, although I haven't seen Boyz since I was a teenager, so I can't really call it.

• The actor who plays the title character went on to play D'Andre McCullough in The Corner, the only other thing I've seen him in--he desrves to get more work.
    Yeah, Sean Nelson is a good actor that definitely gets overlooked.

OK, I'll make the pronouncement that this thread is also now accepting Urban Dramas.

• Juice was on cable last night. EPMD cameos forgot about those. Menace was great for all the rap cameos (Saafir was immortalized), but anyone else ever notice how cornball the dialogue was compared to Boyz? I always sorta lumped the two together but in retrospect Boyz was a far more serious film. The Hughes bros suck basically IMHO.

OK, I'll make the pronouncement that this thread is also now accepting Urban Dramas.

In that case, Straight Outta Brooklyn is amazing--flawed in some of the ways that you would expect a self-financed film by a 19 year old to be, but really raw and affecting.

And stars Larry Gilyard, who went on to play D'Angelo Barksdale on The Wire ten years later, another really slept-on talent.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Different barksdale and off topic, but i came across this the other day
    http://www.myspace.com/woodharris

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

CB4 is just a poor man's version of this film. And FOABH isn't that incredible either.

And another one...

GREAT MOVIE!!!

I took a semi-date to see this one. She later told me that if we were to ever be serious, I would have to start watching "normal movies".

And another one...

GREAT MOVIE!!!

I took a semi-date to see this one. She later told me that if we were to ever be serious, I would have to start watching "normal movies".

LOL, this was on HBO while I was getting ready for work some day last week and I couldn't believe how S.L.O.W this movie is. I remember it being good, but not at a snail's pace.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Did anyone in here like Clockers? I thought it was good.
    Wonderin'

Did anyone in here like Clockers? I thought it was good.
    Wonderin'

Loved it. The novel of the same name by Richard Price is also very good, as are the two other books in his trilogy of novels set in the fictional Dempsey, New Jersey... Freedomland the recent movie based on the second of those novels was awful, though.