The Classic Rap-Related Films Thread

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    In that case, Straight Outta Brooklyn is amazing

LOL !!

"Fresh" is amazing ....."Straight outta...." is the opposite of amazing

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Did anyone in here like Clockers? I thought it was good.
    Wonderin'

Loved it. The novel of the same name by Richard Price is also very good, as are the two other books in his trilogy of novels set in the fictional Dempsey, New Jersey... Freedomland the recent movie based on the second of those novels was awful, though.
    Samaritan is real good too, i donno if you noticed (total nerd nagl here but whatevers) but when Brother Muzone is sitting in his Motel in season 2 of the wire, they have him reading the hardcover copy of it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    In that case, Straight Outta Brooklyn is amazing

LOL !!

"Fresh" is amazing ....."Straight outta...." is the opposite of amazing

What did I just say, poptart? That it has all the shortcomings one would expect of self-financed film done by a 19 year old. [Archaic]Given those circumstances, I maintain that it is the most literally "amazing" film to be mentioned in this thread.[/Archaic]

Did anyone in here like Clockers? I thought it was good.
    Wonderin'

Loved it. The novel of the same name by Richard Price is also very good, as are the two other books in his trilogy of novels set in the fictional Dempsey, New Jersey... Freedomland the recent movie based on the second of those novels was awful, though.
    Samaritan is real good too, i donno if you noticed (total nerd nagl here but whatevers) but when Brother Muzone is sitting in his Motel in season 2 of the wire, they have him reading the hardcover copy of it.

Samaratin is cool, but after Clockers--his masterpiece--and then Freedomland, some of his tricks were starting to get hackneyed. I felt at points as if he was writing it while visualizing the inevitable movie. His earlier books, like The Wanderers and Bloodbrothers are also good, though completely different.

rap related movies:

1)Menace to Society
    2)Friday
    3)New Jack City
    4)Krush Groove
    5)Boyz in the Hood
    6)Beat Street
    7)Baby Boy
    8)Juice
    9)Fear of a Black Hat
    10)Paid in Full

rap related "B" movies:
    1)State Property
    2)Choices
    3)Bout it
    4)Baller Blockin
    5)Thicker than water
    6)State Property 2

rap related documentaries:

1)Rhyme & Reason
    2)The Show
    3)Letter to the president
    4)Freshest Kids
    5)tuapac resurrection
    6)beef #1
    7welcome to death row
    8)backstage
    9)smokefest #1
    10)Scratch

rap related concert dvds/videos:
    1)Boogie Down Productions live
    2)2 live crew live (1989 ?)
    3)Short dog's in the house
    4)brainfreeze (maybe not rap related)
    5)Tupac live at h.o.b

good movies that have nothing to do with rap:
    1)Fresh
    2)Dead Presidents
    3)Ghost Dog
    4)the entire Spike Lee collection

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

One of the best hip-hop comedies ever.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

not the greatest but it looks like an issue of Word up magazine come to life

and dudes knockin' CB4 must have suffered some sort of movie-related trauma cause I hardly think that film is worth the negative comments its getting

5)Thicker than water

Have you actually watched this?

It's the one where Fat Joe and Mack 10 are siblings separated at birth, right?

Is it as amazing as it sounds?

Disorderlies > Who's The Man

• one of my favorites:

What about this gem?

• It's the one where Fat Joe and Mack 10 are siblings separated at birth, right?
    Have mercy...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    damn it, edpowers just added like five shits to my buy list
    i got da last don/bout it two dvd set coming in the mail right now, chyeahhhh

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    am i the only one who thought choices 2 was better than choices 1? no project pat kinda sucked but the crunchy black scene more than made up for it

the e-40 documentary was pretty good (the one with the charlie hustle cover.) it has like a 5 minute scene of joint rolling instruction by tupac.

this however was complete garbage:

5)Thicker than water

Have you actually watched this?

It's the one where Fat Joe and Mack 10 are siblings separated at birth, right?

Yes.....and it's exactly what you'd expect.....bad acting...low budget..corny script....blah..blah..blah........but speaking in terms of Rapsloitation its better than Killa Season ...worse than Paper Soldiers (two movies i forgot to add to my list) .....i wouldn't recommend any of these films to anyone ..but comparing the movie to others in the genre its slightly above average

am i the only one who thought choices 2 was better than choices 1?

i haven't seen 2 yet....i felt like i shouldn't bother .....i gotta check this out now

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

rap related documentaries:

5)tuapac resurrection

shoulda been #1 to me. from a film making standpoint this thing is put together amazingly

sidenote: we are 1 week away from the 10 year anniversary of his passing. Does anyone else feel old?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Was 8 Mile a blockbuster genre classic??

Was 8 Mile a blockbuster genre classic??

It was Rocky the musical.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'm in agreement with Ross's statement louie Rankin really has the scene stealing lines of the movie,i also thought Method Man did his thing he definitely has a screen presence.
    I have a fond memory towards Belly it was the first and only film shoot i've ever been on.
    I was at the filming of sequence where Dmx makes his entrance to the nightclub(Jamaica arms located on the palisados rd)
    where he meets up with Louie Rankin, who points out the yout with the mohawk that he wants him to kill.
    If i wasn't camera shy you would've seen me, instead,
    i just stood behind the handcart on the opposite side of the road.

This is so bad... and even worse with director's commentary.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm in agreement with Ross's statment louie Rankin really has the scene stealing lines of the movie,i also thought Method Man did his thing he definitely has a screen presence.
    I have a fond memory towards Belly it was the first and only film shoot i've ever been on.
    I was at the filming of sequence where Dmx makes his entrance to the nightclub(Jamaica arms located on the palisados rd)
    where he meets up with Louie Rankin, who points out the yout with the mohawk that he wants him to kill.
    If i wasn't camera shy you would've seen me, instead,
    i just stood behind the handcart on the opposite side of the road.
    that night club scene was fucking awesome. rankin fucking ripped that scene where he gets merked too, haha. WHO GON TEST.

A really good movie.

Dru Down is the one that made this memorable as far as i'm concerned,BET must have stock in this movie they bring it on constantly.

• I'm in agreement with Ross's statment louie Rankin really has the scene stealing lines of the movie,i also thought Method Man did his thing he definitely has a screen presence.

Meth has had some great cinematic turns, TV too.

My vote for best Meth role:

• And another one...

GREAT MOVIE!!!

No.

• A really good movie soundtrack .

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How High
    White Chicks
    FRESH is an incredible flick. Gian Carlos Esposito needs more work.
    Love & Basketball - Debbie Morgan killin it as the mother
    Love Jones
    All those "urban dramatic quasi-bougie type" joints.
    Set It Off
    What's that movie where LL first shows his head?
    What's the breakdance movie w/ Lorenzo Llamas?
    Deep Cover
    Scarface can now be considered a Rap Related movie