GERMANY APPRECIATION THREAD

Comments

• I love German Records..especially the different versions of American songs that are quite dope! The labels like Brain and Amiga! My homies: Dejoe, Hype, Scope, Katmandu, Florian Keller, Olski, Frank "Cafu", Jazzanova, Demian and Frank at Groove Attack, and Christian Abel at SoulTrade. Love those German women too! By the way, Kon and I are playing at the Atomic Cafe with Florian Keller on Sept. 9th, and at the Soultrade Bohannon party on Sept. 16th.

Amir

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I like german WOMEN! Hawkeye, Is Gulzara still bartending at Palo Palo in Hannover? What beautiful girl. She was native Russian (Tar Tar). She showed me around your town. Saw the big fancy garden and some of the architecture. Uber-rad female she was. Can't forget about Soulpower DJs, Baba and Pari over there too.

Dont know Gulzara because I live in Hamburg now but I know other bartending girls over there

You were at the Herrenhaeuser Gaerten, thats pretty nice, maybe one of the few nice places in my hometown. I love Hannover but I have to be honest, it is a ugly city, but most of germanys citys are ugly.

Yeah the Soulpower guys try to build something up, Pari is the manager of Marva Whitney and they recorded her newest 45 and here LP in Japan. I dont know them personaly but thats impressive.

Peace

• Big ups to the Germans! Appreciated.

My only beef is that some of the Germans that come over here come out in some crazy outfits. German Tourist Fashion =

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Because no one lives in a country that is without guilt, they only have a better image because they manipulate the media and the school books in a better way.

Peace
    Hawkeye

This is absolutely true.

Germans have done a masterful job, either by design or coincidence, by using the books of Karl May to help young people move past the Holocaust.

I was always curious as to why whenever a friend from Germany came here to the U.S. they all wanted to experience the "Wild West" and see Indian Reservations.

Then it was explained to me that every school aged child is required to read Karl May books, a great writer who's specialty is the "Cowboy & Indian" genre.

It was a great way for young Germans to realize that while Nazi Germany was a shameful part of their recent past, even countries like America had these types of shameful episodes in it's history.

All of my German friends deny this was the intent of this cirriculum, but they all agree it makes sense and did indeed make them realize that every culture has it's black spots in history.

My Grandfather came to the U.S. from the Black Forest area of Germany. My German friends joke with me that he probably hid behind trees and hit folks over the head with his club. I don't know why that is funny but apparently it is.

I'm just glad my folks didn't give me the common nickname for Richard, "Dick" as I've also been told that "Dick Haupt" would loosely translate to Dick Head.

There is some fodder for all you hatters.

Rich

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

One of my favorite record stores is Flipside in Dusseldorf. Carsten is that dude.

Yeah! Carsten is cool! Very cool. He used to post on Soulstrut. I've never been to Flipside, but we traded records and talked on the phone! He's QUITE that dude!

Thanks Delay. When are you coming back to Stuttgart? It would be no problem to get a gig for you at that bar we've been to. Those people are extra nice and they are always looking for good DJs (although they don't pay you much).

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    after reading the whole thread

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

My Grandfather came to the U.S. from the Black Forest area of Germany. My German friends joke with me that he probably hid behind trees and hit folks over the head with his club. I don't know why that is funny but apparently it is.

I don't know where that image is coming from. I grew up next to the Black Forest. It's a beautiful place. Not dark or mystical at all. Many tourists go there.
    MPS is from the Black Forest. Look at the label. A tree.
    Plus, Frank was born in a small town right inside the Black Forest. Right, Frank? You're from Villingen (home of MPS)???

Black Forest:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    after reading the whole thread

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    what i really wanted to say was, i still appreciate the internet

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I always get home from Germany with a fat wad of records and good stories. That equals a good place in my book.

- J

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Just to clarify, I wasn't trying shame or guilt Germans. Personally, I look forward to visiting the country, which is where my pops was born. I also love German vinyl, particular the sort of breezy Brazilian fusion they do so well. Actually, when I think of Germany, I think of mps before anything else. My point was only that it shouldn't be surprising that when many think of Germany they think of its wartime attrocities. There are many still living who suffered terribly because of Germany and these wounds may understandibly overshadow other German accomplishments.

I must point out that the reparations comment is a little misleading. While my grandmother does collect compensation for her work as slave labourer in Auschwitz, the cheque has never been issued with an apology or an admission of culpability. Also, no sum of money, particularly the meagre one she collects from the embassy, is hardlty "reparation" for her murdered family, extended family, and village.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Although I understand why Americans (especially those of Jewish decent) would immediately associate the Germans with WW2, I think it's unfair.
    It was a world war after all. I haven't read the Japan thread, but I'd been surprised if anyone chimes in with an attack, on the atrocities they committed. Or the Italians.
    Many nations played a part in it. The US could have done more, sooner, to stop the War, and the Holocaust, but did not.
    Then they dropped 2 atomic bombs on Japan killing hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children.
    Not to mention the economic benefits of the war and resulting chaos it left the European economy in, that all US citizens enjoy, to this day.

I???m in no way trying to justify, or forgive, anything the Germans did during the earlier part of the century. But if my Grandad, who fought against and spent several years imprisoned by the German, can see passed it, I would hope others could to.

And one thing to add to your list of German inventions, is the US space progam.
    "In July 1945 Wernher von Braun and his 120 German rocket scientists (all who were formally employees of the Nazis) soon found themselves in El Paso, Texas helping to start a nonexistent space program in the United States. In May 1946 the Germans successfully launched its first V-2 at White Sands Proving Ground"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    all i gotta say is FRITZ LANG and KRAFTWERK.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I never been to Germany, but my lady is German & she is cool & has good taste in records, so I guess that's a positive?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I found overall that the Germans are warm and open people.

The few German people I've come across have been just that. Some of the most courteous and considerate people.

Germany's been oppressed as a nation for years, and it's not coincidental that the last world cup was supposedly one of the first time in years that Germans were waving their own flags.

so to that, I say ICH LIEBE DEUTCHELAND!

also not coincidentally my ex gf lived in Germany for 7 years, thus the positive impression of the country.

• my friends always say im "the most ungerman german" they know lol

i really dont like the country much, especially the bad economic situation bubblin up right now, so im in the process of leaving...

btw, we got cute chicks but girls overseas are way more fun imho

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I don't know where that image is coming from. I grew up next to the Black Forest. It's a beautiful place. Not dark or mystical at all. Many tourists go there.
    Plus, Frank was born in a small town right inside the Black Forest. Right, Frank? You're from Villingen (home of MPS)???

How do you know?
    I've actualy grown up in a tiny village close to Villingen, it was really small (at the time around 400 inhabitants). My grandpa was the local blacksmith, my mother baked our own bread and milk an butter came from the next door neighbour.

I really enjoyed growing up in such an idyllic surrounding and to this day am very thankful for it.

Since then I've spent about 7 years in Berlin, 4 years in NYC and for one year now I've been living in West Africa where I plan on staying for the next 3 to 8 years.

In my experience, I always felt better being a stranger and never really had any feelings of homesickness. My wife's career will eventualy, although only for a 3-year stay bring us back to Berlin in the further future and I'm really not too crazy about that. I would not be upset if you'd tell me, I'd never see my "fatherland" again. No hard feelings but I just feel that I've spent enough time there.

Not that I hate Germany, I don't love it either. Countries are just that:
    countries. I can understand emotional attachment to a certain person, maybe even to a pet but to love a country??? Well, if you're so full of love that you don't know where to throw it. Or maybe if you don't have any friends, your family's dead or they all hate you and you're so ugly that even dogs run away in terror, okay, then I could understand the need to feel LOVE for your own COUNTRY. If it would be me, I'd probably prefer falling in love with a foreign country though, to avoid feeling maybe a little bit incestuous.

And as we all know, incest is

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have always thought that Frank has a great outlook on things. He's a real asset to this community.

Hey Frank!

Anyway, I am Jewish and I see what it is when people get all crazy about Germans. Shit, my wifey won't allow us to buy a Benz or a BMW. I'm stuck with Japanese cars. I don't really buy into that shit though. I mean, I think there's worse people in America on the bigot tip. But I did hear that, because the swaztika is outlawed in Germany, mad racists/anti-semites/skinheads rock the American Confederate flag.

Anyway, I'm going to Germany in 2 weeks and I'm very excited. I'll be in Berlin and in Munichen. I want to see as much as I can.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

How do you know?

I'm watching you right now!!!

PS: Can't remember. Maybe you told me or I read an online bio. Maybe Dreskieboogie told me?!

It's kinda crazy that your friends (Soul Explosion) play gigs in Stuttgart these days. I'm from Stuttgart. But I moved away. I have never been to a Soul Explosion night. Neither in Berlin, nor in Stuttgart. Right place, wrong time...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hi Cosmo, thanx!

I generaly don't really like the idea of discussing the Holocaust in a forum like this. It's all too clear where it will end, comparing it with other nations genocides and atrocities. And I think that this is a very wrong thing. The Holocaust doesn't compare to anything, it was industrialised genocide on a unimaginable scale. Also the fact, that this was happening right under people's noses... everybody must have seen something, heard something: a train full of prisoners, the neighbours being arrested and led away, those camps weren't actualy easy to overlook and there was a lot of local german workers employed in them. Noone can tell me that the majority of people had no idea what was going on. Everybody claimed this after Germany had lost the war and had to answer the questions of the rest of the world but they just fucking lied! If you have a closer look at what happened with key players after the war, the picture gets even more unsettling.

To all germans who complain about the constant mentioning of the Hololocaust and think enough time has passed to again feel patriotic and proud of their country: Feel about your country any way you please, BUT:

The Holocaust will always be an issue. Not an issue of guilt since noone can really blame you for what your grandparents have done, helped to do or just kept quiet. No, but it is a historic responsibility of the german people to memorise this part of their history and educate their own and the world about what happened. And NO, there hasn't already been done enough, there can never be done enough. Even if every single german kid learns the basic facts about the Holocaust, who just as an example teaches them about how the catholic church conducted themselves during Nazi Germany? Who teaches about how the catholic church for centuries layed down the foundation of antisemitism that made this whole thing possible in the first place? There ist still a lot of work to be done and the ignorance of other nations towards their own history can never be an excuse for us Germans to "finaly get over the Holocaust".

The whole idea of these threads that say "my country can kick your country's ass" is just be an embarassment.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Pretty much game over right here.

Hi Cosmo, thanx!

I generaly don't really like the idea of discussing the Holocaust in a forum like this. It's all too clear where it will end, comparing it with other nations genocides and atrocities. And I think that this is a very wrong thing. The Holocaust doesn't compare to anything, it was industrialised genocide on a unimaginable scale. Also the fact, that this was happening right under people's noses... everybody must have seen something, heard something: a train full of prisoners, the neighbours being arrested and led away, those camps weren't actualy easy to overlook and there was a lot of local german workers empluyed in them. Noone can tell me that the majority of people had no idea what was going on. Everybody claimed this after Germany had lost the war and had to answer the questions of the rest of the world but they just fucking lied! If you have a closer look at what happened with key players after the war, the picture gets even more unsettling.

To all germans who complain about the constant mentioning of the Hololocaust and think enough time has passed to again feel patriotic and proud of their country: Feel about your country any way you please, BUT:

The Holocaust will always be an issue. Not an issue of guilt since noone can really blame you for what your grandparents have done, helped to do or just kept quiet. No, but it is a historic responsibility of the german people to memorise this part of their history and educate their own and the world about what happened. And NO, there hasn't already been done enough, there can never be done enough. Even if every single german kid learns the basic facts about the Holocaust, who just as an example teaches them about how the catholic church conducted themselves during Nazi Germany? Who teaches about how the catholic church for centuries layed down the foundation of antisemitism that made this whole thing possible in the first place? There ist still a lot of work to be done and the ignorance of other nations towards their own history can never be an excuse for us Germans to "finaly get over the Holocaust".

The whole idea of these threads that say "my country can kick your country's ass" is just be an embarassment.

And yes, I agree completely. The whole world should.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Germans don't want to hear about the holocaust and WW2 anymore. They just want to forget and it seems to me that it has always been like that. Even though it's still the dominant issue at history classes and it is still covered a lot in media and literature.

I've never met a German who was "involved". Nobody in my family was a member of the Nazi party or shared their beliefs, nobody in my family knew about the concentration camps. My grandmother and her sisters and cousins used to talk a lot about the war but there was always only one topic: how THEY suffered from the war.

Germans are straight forward and reliable but not particular warm. Like Kraftwerk and MPS. Germans love rules, they need them to feel safe. If you cross a road when the red traffic light is on, people will call you out. Every German has a little policeman in his head.

Stereotypes? For sure but with a lot of truth attached. It's also very German to not like Germany and carry a unhealthy portion of German self-hate and I have no problem to say that I am very German in that way. I feel unconfortable when I see all this German flags during the World cup.

I belief that there is "something" in the German mentality that made the holocaust possible. I've learned all the "facts" about it at school but I think you have to get a bit older and more grown-up to really understand these crimes. I am way more horrified and schocked when I read about it today or see it on TV than when I was in my 20ties.

I am tired of the kraut-bashing that happens here from time to time but it's kindergarten compared to history, so I couldn't care less.

PS: Hawkeye is a very good friend of mine.

• hey cosmo,
    what dates are going to be berlin and munich cause kon and i will be in europe for the next three weeks starting on sept.7th. we will be playing at the atomic cafe in munich and at club bohannon in berlin..let me know the deal.

amir

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yo Amir Berlin is Saturday teh 16th and Munich is Thursday the 21st. I'll get some more info in a second.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Amir,

I played that Soulboat party at Bohannon. That's a fun time. That area (Mitte?) is like the soho of Berlin. Be sure to holler at the flea markets if you arent too hung over.

Cosmo,

last time i was there, I saw Nope and Espo up all over the place. Broadway hand stands out like a champ. Philly in this bitch!

• Yo, shit we are playing in Berlin on the 16th too at the bohannnon club. In munich we play on the 9th tho. Hey delay, next time you're in berlin check out my man dejoe for records and graff..he's the man/legend in berlin graff. By the way, I love Augustine beer..the best german beer!!!!!

Amir

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Bohannon ain't really where it's at...
    Pardon the shameless self-promotion but I'm not dj-ing there anymore so I'm not really promoting myself.
    I only rake in the money to finance my west african record explorations...
    http://www.soulexplosion.de
    The fact that James Trouble recently called it "the best funk night on the planet, easily" shouldn't keep you from checking it out...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Hi Cosmo, thanx!

I generaly don't really like the idea of discussing the Holocaust in a forum like this. It's all too clear where it will end, comparing it with other nations genocides and atrocities. And I think that this is a very wrong thing. The Holocaust doesn't compare to anything, it was industrialised genocide on a unimaginable scale. Also the fact, that this was happening right under people's noses... everybody must have seen something, heard something: a train full of prisoners, the neighbours being arrested and led away, those camps weren't actualy easy to overlook and there was a lot of local german workers employed in them. Noone can tell me that the majority of people had no idea what was going on. Everybody claimed this after Germany had lost the war and had to answer the questions of the rest of the world but they just fucking lied! If you have a closer look at what happened with key players after the war, the picture gets even more unsettling.

I know what your trying to say here. But let me just say. I am not German (I'm Canadian). I'm only of German decent. There are millions of people around the world from the same type of background. My family came to Canada around 1880. All I can say is German heritage was strong in my family up til WWII and then died after that. All the able males in our family went to fight the nazi's and when they returned home, german heritage and culture was almost totally trashed. All I want to point out is, there is thousands of years of history for the Germanic people. Most of that time, people of german decent should be proud of. History and the wrongs of the holocaust should be taught, not just to Germans, but to everyone. And not just these wrongs, but history of all wrongs. It's the only way to learn to not make the same mistakes of the past.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

http://www.soulexplosion.de
    The fact that James Trouble recently called it "the best funk night on the planet, easily" shouldn't keep you from checking it out...

sorry to hear that, Frank! Hopefully, I can go to a Soulexplosion night in October. I'm just totally surprised that those Funk nights in Stuttgart work for you. I tried to play Funk, but Stuttgart people hated it... (I'm a little dude, but still, people didn't even stay for a beer on my nights!)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I like Germany, like that store in Munich, Bird's Nest...dude that was there was real nice and let me shop after hours and even called some dealer buddies and they came and brought records for me to look at...

It was pretty cool also to have a beer and some schnitzel in a restaurant that had been in operation for about a thousand years, aint gonna find that round these parts...

my main question about Germany is what is that fucking awful white-fish in clear jelly shit??? It was served at breakfast and it was probably the worst thing I have ever eaten...and I have had rotten shark in Iceland, and that was better than this crap.