CURTIS MAYFIELD "CURTIS" APPRECIATION THREAD RR

crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
ok, so i've had this on wax for years...one of those 180 gram reissues or something. I used to play it out on gigs but for the past few years i've been so obsessed with 12"s that i've been ignoring my soul lps. then last week i found an OG copy in good shape at a thrift store in brooklyn so i've been listening to it again and i am just blown away at this record! even if it only had "Move On Up" or only "If there's a Hell Below We're All Gonna Go" it would be a classic lp...but the whole lp is just so amazing!the break on "Move on Up" is so rediculous...that whole track is so ahead of it's time...it's basically a disco track from 1970! who else was doing ten minute disco tracks in 1970?!and seriously...this record is pretty rare...i never see original copies of this in good shape. which is a shame because everybody needs this!

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Useless thread.

• curtis can never have too much love

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

the break on "Move on Up" is so rediculous...that whole track is so ahead of it's time...it's basically a disco track from 1970! who else was doing ten minute disco tracks in 1970?!

and seriously...this record is pretty rare...i never see original copies of this in good shape. which is a shame because everybody needs this!
    For real.
    I need a copy that's EX or better but for now, I won't part with my VG copy.

• Useless thread.

wait a sec...you started a REM thread!

• curtis can never have too much love

Amen to that.

• edit: accidental double post.

Useless thread.

wait a sec...you started a REM thread!

Get familiar.

Marco got me started on this "useful" kick.

We need more useful threads.

I'm trying.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Classique schitt. So hard to find in EX condition, too.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    REM are the 2nd most useless band ever...after U2! Curtis & this album is genius. :P

• i grew up with REM, love them still. but soulstrutters don't need to hear about that!

anyways, maybe my point is that all this obsession with unearthing raers can sometimes make you overlook the gems from the greats. and besides...what better way to show off my nice find than with a useles thread? the internet would suck without useless threads!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    the break on "Move on Up" is so rediculous...
    cooooo-sign.
    i went for a while after picking it up where i'd listen to that song almost daily. ...wish i had it on the ipod right now.

• the Jam do a really good cover version of "Move on Up".

so do the Destinations on AVI...12" and lp...disco version that really isn't that different than the original because it was such a disco track already.

"if there's a hell below" is a perfect dj set opener.

i grew up with REM, love them still. but soulstrutters don't need to hear about that!

anyways, maybe my point is that all this obsession with unearthing raers can sometimes make you overlook the gems from the greats. and besides...what better way to show off my nice find than with a useles thread? the internet would suck without useless threads!

people saying what soulstrutters "need to hear about" is fucking gay as fuck.

but while we're all lubed up and bent over...

knowing people on here like curtis is real fucking enlightening!

maybe i'm wondering who else on here likes this band that may or may not fit the general focus of music discussion on here? i know that's not appropriate. i'm so sorry.

REM are the 2nd most useless band ever...after U2!

name two bands from the same era that are useful.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Ok for me personally some1 like rage against the machine were a 90s band that were alot more 'useful' & for me personally oasis cos theyre from my home town & i could relate to their shit.

Supertramp are the best band evahhhhh!

• people saying what soulstrutters "need to hear about" is fucking gay as fuck.

hmm...and yet this is what you are doing with REM...pick your battles wisely.

my point is...I'VE BEEN SLEEPING ON THIS RECORD FOR YEARS NOW AND I HAVE DONE SO AT MY OWN PERIL BECAUSE IT'S LIFE AFFIRMING MUSIC!

REM used to do that for me but now i can't look past "shiny happy people". "night swimming" is still my secret squirrel joint though.

have a cup of coffee and smoke a joint or something fatback...you are too riled up today!

Supertramp are the best band evahhhhh!

You think you're fucking funny, kid? You're becuming my bitch today. How's that fat dick tasting? The next bite will cost you.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    rage against the machine

oh hell no

• How anyone would sleep on CURTIS is beyond me but yes, well appreciated

And Ex-NM copies are a bitch to turn up, easy $30 when in my shop.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Oooooh thats real salty...how much do i have 2 pay? I was serious about the tramp ha!

people saying what soulstrutters "need to hear about" is fucking gay as fuck.

hmm...and yet this is what you are doing with REM...pick your battles wisely.

my point is...I'VE BEEN SLEEPING ON THIS RECORD FOR YEARS NOW AND I HAVE DONE SO AT MY OWN PERIL BECAUSE IT'S LIFE AFFIRMING MUSIC!

REM used to do that for me but now i can't look past "shiny happy people". "night swimming" is still my secret squirrel joint though.

have a cup of coffee and smoke a joint or something fatback...you are too riled up today!

Hey Patrick. I don't claim to be adding any great thought with my fucking REM thread (or anything else, really). I listened to Murmur and Reckoning last night while sipping a bottle of white wine (waiting for you to call) and I started a thread.

My point is that our threads are basically the same. And fuckers need to step off the this thread is/is not useful shit. Why do you click on a thread with such a title and then bitch about it? That mystery will remain with me until the grave.

• How anyone would sleep on CURTIS is beyond me but yes, well appreciated

And Ex-NM copies are a bitch to turn up, easy $30 when in my shop.

$30 would be a steal! well...mine was $2 but still...

Curtis has so many gems in his catalog...the 12" for "How do You Like to be Loved" is a fave of mine.

• Hey Patrick. I don't claim to be adding any great thought with my fucking REM thread (or anything else, really). I listened to Murmur and Reckoning last night while sipping a bottle of white wine (waiting for you to call) and I started a thread.

haha...sorry i didn't get to call...i was smoking kind buds and drinking white wine and listening to Curtis!

i recently went on a road trip and the rental car only had a tape deck! so this meant busting out my high school and college era tapes...i definitely had some REM in there.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    one of the best albums ever, period.

Oooooh thats real salty...how much do i have 2 pay? I was serious about the tramp ha!

Yes. Salty, but savory. At this point it would be logical for you to finish free of charge. But, call me if you wanna take the long dick home, cause you're bloody well right...that should be paid for.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    How anyone would sleep on CURTIS is beyond me

rage against the machine

oh hell no

I listened to the RATM S/T a couple of weeks ago for the first time since...high school? That album is still on fire! Classic material right there.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Yes. Salty., but savory. At this point it would be logical for you to finish free of charge. But, call me if you wanna take the long dick home, cause you're bloody well right...that should be paid for.

Haaaa that was good. Ok ill leave this useless thread now as your tramp knowledge is quite impressive you shiney happy person you. XD

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I listened to the RATM S/T a couple of weeks ago for the first time since...high school? That album is still on fire! Classic material right there.

I'll have to disagree

rap-metal wicky wicky is not my thing

drunk frat boy sing-along stuff really, even though they are in training to enter 'the machine' basically...

Yes. Salty., but savory. At this point it would be logical for you to finish free of charge. But, call me if you wanna take the long dick home, cause you're bloody well right...that should be paid for.

Haaaa that was good. Ok ill leave this useless thread now as your tramp knowledge is quite impressive you shiney happy person you. XD

You should. Because you are WAY THE FUCK out of your league with me, shorty.

I'll be looking out for your little asshurted self in other threads.

• rage against the machine

oh hell no

Lol. i grew up on the first one, but a recent re-visiting left me dissapointed: doesn't capture the feel and energy of their live shows. Going out on a limb: i like the second one better.