CURTIS MAYFIELD "CURTIS" APPRECIATION THREAD RR

13»

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    16. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go (Backing Tracks, Takes 1 & 2)
    17. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go (Edited Single Version)

wow... I'd love to hear these.

You only think you would. They are underwhelming, and will only make you realize how perfect and how necessary the full (and full-length) version is. Both omit the fuzz intro and truncate the length, so the overall effect is like walking into a movie late and walking out early. Almost worth it, though, for the chatter between Curtis and the engineer:

Engineer: "Okay, Take 1 for--what's the title again?"
    Curtis: "'If There's A Hell Below, We're All Going To Go'."
    Engineer: "Okay, 'If There's A Hell Below'...boy, that's a hell of a statement..."

Haha... thanks for the warning. That makes sense when I think about it. The full version with the long intro is most definitely

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

This is also a very cool record. In his own words, Mr. Mayfield puts many of his greatest works into context. Like the premise behind "Underground" (Hi Dave!), the result of imagining what civilization would be like if we were all forced beneath the surface, to live in complete darkness, without the ability to see race or class, which obstruct our views of one another.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    16. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go (Backing Tracks, Takes 1 & 2)
    17. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go (Edited Single Version)

wow... I'd love to hear these.

You only think you would. They are underwhelming, and will only make you realize how perfect and how necessary the full (and full-length) version is. Both omit the fuzz intro and truncate the length, so the overall effect is like walking into a movie late and walking out early. Almost worth it, though, for the chatter between Curtis and the engineer:

Engineer: "Okay, Take 1 for--what's the title again?"
    Curtis: "'If There's A Hell Below, We're All Going To Go'."
    Engineer: "Okay, 'If There's A Hell Below'...boy, that's a hell of a statement..."

Haha... thanks for the warning. That makes sense when I think about it. The full version with the long intro is most definitely

Or, you could just buy the thikkk single for 50??; that Curtom styrene is unreal.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    No comment on what they preferred "Foxy Brown" or "Coffy."

No contest--Foxy Brown's really not a very good record... Hutch's other soundtrack endeavor, The Mack, is so much better.

Agreed...but I luh' me some "Hospital Prelude to Love Theme"...

"Give me some of that good ol' love... aahhhhhhh...."

yo... to all my niggaz uncivilized and civilized
    we cook the shake, move the weight across the tri-state
    them jooks niggaz bring the shook up out the crook type
    special deliver, sendin' shots through ya Ac-Vigor

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

In case you can't read this small image, this is a Curtis LP on the short-lived Boardwalk label, titled Love Is The Place. It's just okay...not bad for the early '80s but not up there with Curtis/Live! either...but there is one hidden classic that just tears me up everytime I hear it..."Just Ease My Mind," which is a rare example of Curtis doing country music. He KILLS it. I've never read any interviews where he admitted to listening to country music, but this track should have been on that "black country" box set that Warners released eight years ago. Great album if you find it cheap, but "Just Ease My Mind" is the track you'll keep playing it for.

• I slept on ???Curtis??? I had a few of his other joints but never had that album until I found it for cheap a few weeks ago (vinyl is great but the cover is fucked) and its without a doubt the best record I have bought in YEARS.
    Cant believe I was spending all my time and cash finding obscure/raer shit and didn???t have this in my collecting. Makes me want to put half my shit on eBay because it real aint shit compared to ???Curtis???.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Curtis is my favorite soul artist hands down. And I consider alot of his catalog to be some of the best music ever recorded.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Curtis is my favorite soul artist hands down. And I consider alot of his catalog to be some of the best music ever recorded.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I slept on ???Curtis??? I had a few of his other joints but never had that album until I found it for cheap a few weeks ago (vinyl is great but the cover is fucked) and its without a doubt the best record I have bought in YEARS.
    Cant believe I was spending all my time and cash finding obscure/raer shit and didn???t have this in my collecting. Makes me want to put half my shit on eBay because it real aint shit compared to ???Curtis???.

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far...

But I will say that one of the best $1 come-ups I've ever had was the Curtis LP. Even in 1987 (when I bought it), that album wasn't easy to find.

As a fellow Chicagoan, I always did wonder what beach the cover photos were taken at (assuming the pix were shot in Chicago...Oak St. Beach?).

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

• i wasn't gonna post here, but i'm feeling pretty passionate today about this so can i testify. I think 'the Makings of You' is my favorite Curtis song, period. I also think it's one of the all time great love songs. so poetic. I'm playing guitar for my homey's wedding ceremony this weekend, and as part of my warm-up set (when people are arriving, sitting down) i'm playing 'the Makings of you'. by the time the wedding starts these folks are gonna be feeling the love something serious. I'm gonna wax romantic as hell. gonna be beautiful.

But it made me wonder, i'm not sure if the version of 'Makings' on Curtis s/t is my favorite. but i can't decide. I think i might be leaning towards the Live version as definitive, largely due to the audience presence. What version is your favorite?

Curtis s/t
    Curtis/Live
    Gladys Knight- Claudine
    or another one i'm sleeping on?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Gladys Knight- Claudine

or another one i'm sleeping on?

I'm not aware of any others, but have always wondered.