CURTIS MAYFIELD "CURTIS" APPRECIATION THREAD RR

Comments

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    You should. Because you are WAY THE FUCK out of your league with me, shorty.

I'll be looking out for your little asshurted self in other threads.
    Cant wait its been real entertaining. Now buy me a custum title!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    lets get back on course..
    are there any color posters for Curtis in this era?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    lets get back on course..
    are there any color posters for Curtis in this era?

There's the calender.

• yeah...i believe "roots" came with a poster and a calender?

Now buy me a custum title!

Just like a bitch. You can't even finish my dick and you want me to buy you shit?

PLAESE!

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Hey i cant help your musical impotance!

yeah...i believe "roots" came with a poster and a calender?

what? a poster. talk about sleeping!

i need this verified.

Hey i cant help your musical impotance!

You're so lame, it's cute.

Call me.

202-256-9865

• the gatefold would make a nice poster

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i need this verified.

People refer to the tear-off cover as a "poster"... an intact Roots is a pretty tough pull in my experience. The foldover is heavily perforated, so the cover tended to just fall off over time... usually only sealed copies still have it.

The first Curtis-less Impressions record--the one where Leroy Hutson took his place--actually does come with a poster.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Im not payin for a call to the states from the uk....im cheap. Cant we just keep cybersexin instead. Ok seriously though this thread is a joke im out ha ha.

Now you're REALLY getting me mad. DON"T FUCK WITH ME ABOUT CURTIS MAYFIELD POSTERS THAT I MIGHT NOT HAVE OR KNOW ABOUT!

That's serious. Crossing the line. NO!

Im not playin for a call to the states from the uk....im cheap. Cant we just keep cybersexin instead. Ok seriously though this thread is a joke im out ha ha.

You said that a while ago, but you keep cuming.

USA! USA!

USA! USA!

USA! USA!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

the gatefold would make a nice poster
    Let me get that Mbox.

Cosign on the gatefold. Me likey.

i need this verified.

People refer to the tear-off cover as a "poster"... an intact Roots is a pretty tough pull in my experience. The foldover is heavily perforated, so the cover tended to just fall off over time... usually only sealed copies still have it.

The first Curtis-less Impressions record--the one where Leroy Hutson took his place--actually does come with a poster.

wow. never seen it. & i've pulled about many copies of that record. is it a bigger version of the cover?

i need this verified.

wow. never seen it. & i've pulled about many copies of that record. is it a bigger version of the cover?

I'm trying to remember... I don't think so; I seem to recall it being an image of them standing in a graveyard.

• i got a sealed copy of "roots" in the 90s off ebay for cheap...of course now i can't find it. when i do i'll post a pic of the calender.

for now...more curtis goodness. is this his last lp with the impressions?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    is this his last lp with the impressions?

yep. i picked up an intact copy of Roots a few months back...it's nice.

I actually found that calender in collections all over DC. My experience is/was sort of the opposite of what Faux said. Always mauled records and the cover was usually OK. And even if the calender was torn off, it would still be in the stack somewhere.

• I never see Roots with the calendar. I've had one this year.

The poster with the Hutson-helmed Impressions LP is them standing in a grave yard. Sick shit.

That record isn't too easy a pull either, and can sell for a couple bucks.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    the gatefold would make a nice poster
    yeh. thats sorta why i asked. the photography on Curtis and Live are dope. even a nice large reproduction of the Curtis cover would be cool.
    i don't really like Roots that much and that calendar doesn't look too badass.

i don't really like Roots that much and that calendar doesn't look too badass.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    you could always Rasterbate it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    On the Curtis tip... I was out to dinner with my parents last night and asked them what they would choose (if they had to) "Superfly" or "Shaft." Like the true Chicago soldiers they are, they both chose "Superfly." No comment on what they preferred "Foxy Brown" or "Coffy." Then again, on the way home when "I Saw the Light" came on the radio, they talked about how they want on a date to see Todd Rundgren at the Arie Crown Theatre.

No comment on what they preferred "Foxy Brown" or "Coffy."

No contest--Foxy Brown's really not a very good record... Hutch's other soundtrack endeavor, The Mack, is so much better.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

No contest--Foxy Brown's really not a very good record... Hutch's other soundtrack endeavor, The Mack, is so much better.

I know, I know -- I was just stick with the female lead theme.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Agreed...but I luh' me some "Hospital Prelude to Love Theme"...

• The CD version has a bunch of demo tracks and a couple of "backing tracks" which are essentially instrumentals.

9. Power To The People (Demo)
    10. Underground (Demo)
    11. Ghetto Child (Demo)
    12. Readings In Astrology (Demo)
    13. Suffer (Demo)
    14. Miss Black America (Demo)
    15. The Makings Of You (Backing Tracks, Take 32)
    16. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go (Backing Tracks, Takes 1 & 2)
    17. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go (Edited Single Version)

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    16. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go (Backing Tracks, Takes 1 & 2)
    17. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go (Edited Single Version)

wow... I'd love to hear these. I absolutely love that track. Tough one to mix though.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

wow... I'd love to hear these.

You only think you would. They are underwhelming, and will only make you realize how perfect and how necessary the full (and full-length) version is. Both omit the fuzz intro and truncate the length, so the overall effect is like walking into a movie late and walking out early. Almost worth it, though, for the chatter between Curtis and the engineer:

Engineer: "Okay, Take 1 for--what's the title again?"
    Curtis: "'If There's A Hell Below, We're All Going To Go'."
    Engineer: "Okay, 'If There's A Hell Below'...boy, that's a hell of a statement..."