Who Is Steve Aoki?

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited February 2016 in DJ Talk / Mixes
And why is this the latest trend among socialites and pop bitches?

I guess there are several reasons why a DJ would let someone famous in their mix. Is this request making BS to the next level? It kinda makes me qweezy....Sorry, not sure if the DJ Firecrotch thing has already been discussed. Is Steve Aoki just another Hipster DJ or does he have actual street cred?

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    his old man owns benihana, the upscale teppanyaki chain.

his sis is devon aoki, the model.

take it for what it is.......

• I did a gig with dude, and I can't front he wasn't that bad (especially for a celeb deejay) but yo Aser summed it up best.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    He runs Dim Mak records, which includes Bloc Party & Annie on its roster.

I guess that that for what it is, too.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    well, I guess that does say it all. I feel a little better now knowing he is more on the Ricky Schroder tip.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    isn't Lindsay Lohan a little old for him?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For a minute, I thought you were asking about Richard Aoki, who was down with the Black Panthers back in the day:

http://www.asianweek.com/2001_04_27/feature_richardaoki.html

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Kid Millionaire doing the damn thing and I heard he merged lables with Pharell?

• OK, so dude used to be in this hardcore band called This Machine Kills, I want to say and, to his credit, Dim Mak was a really nice label that put out an eclectic mix of music, but the focus seemed to be hardcore primarily. (Again, not all the releases, but several.) He'd always include a small xeroxed info sheet about an activist/radical/political figure.

Anyway, a few years ago, my friend related a story from a member of one of the bands his band toured with. Apparently after or before a show with This Machine Kills, one of the kids in the band, a teenager, said something to the effect of "that girl is hot" or "Brazilian girls are hot." The latter is a little more questionable because of the fetishism aspect of it, and it's sometimes awkward/difficult to let someone know you have a problem with something they said, but apparently Steve Aoki starts crying and saying "Why are you objectifying women?" As though he's going to appeal to this kid who doesn't even understand what he did wrong from an emotional angle . . . If this went down exactly like Sikander described it, dude had to look batshit.
    Fastforward four or so year and Steve Aoki is rubbing elbows with Vice Magazine bigwigs and apolitical career networkers who could care less about anything. Funny how life is.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Steve is a good dude. He gets a lot of shit and it's unwarranted. He used to not be a great DJ but in the past year his skills have improved immensly and I've DJed with him and attended several of his parties where he's rocked that shit seriously.

Also, although he grew up with money (which is pretty much why people hate on him) he's always been about music since college and has always been into breaking new bands and sounds with the Dim Mak imprint. When he could be resting on his laurels, he actually works really hard at pushing things forward with music, as well as improving his own craft.

It's so damn easy to hate the player, not the game.

So in summation, he's doing big things, is a friend of ours, and I wish him nothing but success and respect. Others really need to get on that level.

Others' dads really need to get on that level.

• i think people have issues with him as a dj cause he has reached celebrity dj status without paying (enough) dues...or so it seems. the dj world, like any other field, is by no means a meritocracy, however, i almost never hear someone openly criticize a dj who has been at it for a long time.

i almost never hear someone openly criticize a dj who has been at it for a long time.

"I do."

But seriously, I don't hold anything against "celebrity DJs." They've usually paid their dues in some other field, so what's wrong with bringing some of that $$$ into the club. If everyone has a good time, who cares.

And hasn't Aoki been DJing for several years? At what point have his dues been sufficiently paid?

• first rule of djing. put your purse down.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    when I first came out to L.A. 4 years ago- he was really the only one out here that catered strictly to the hipsters - so i'm not surpirised at his success. But I am shocked that he's gettin so much NY love? He's definitely sneakin in the backdoor...

• wonder when this will reach status. page 2? 3?

• AdelfiAdelfi 92 Posts
    OK, so dude used to be in this hardcore band called This Machine Kills, I want to say and, to his credit, Dim Mak was a really nice label that put out an eclectic mix of music, but the focus seemed to be hardcore primarily. (Again, not all the releases, but several.) He'd always include a small xeroxed info sheet about an activist/radical/political figure.

Fastforward four or so year and Steve Aoki is rubbing elbows with Vice Magazine bigwigs and apolitical career networkers who could care less about anything. Funny how life is.

That sums it up for me. I've known dude (through mutual friends) since "This Machine Kills" days at which time I can honestly say he was a nice guy. Doing his thing and definitely hustling like crazy for his band and label. At this point Steve is the definition of a "hipster DJ." I've DJ'ed with him a few times, in LA and at the Beauty Bar in NY for a Vice party. Sorry, but dude was hands down one of THEE worst at selection, mixing and especially attitude. Seems all he cares about these days is celebrity. It you're not famous or don't know the "right" people, he could care less.

I don't hate the guy, I just don't understand how someone can change so dramatically over a few years. Dude was a political hardcore kid who could care less about fame and trends. I wish him luck (although he seems to have plenty of that) but I can't say I respect the person he's become, despite gracing the cover of BPM -

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well being that he's based in Los Angeles any sort of "celebrity status" has just as much to do with his market than anything. Seriously though, I've been DJing for over 15 years, and the fact that the majority of my accolades and blowing up in the press and around the world etc has happened in the past 3 years. I've also lived in New York for the past 3 years, as opposed to Philly. 1+2=3.

But other than that I wouldn't say he's sneaking in the back door. He's walking in the front door, and he's walking with the endorsement of dudes like myself.

Steve does his thing.

Also, the whole thing about paying dues... yeah I hear you. But at the same time dude is dedicated to making himself a better DJ. What's wrong with that? The fact that he graces the cover of magazines and gets paid to do his thing with "the beautiful people" seems to really bring the salt out in people.

:::YOU MAD DOGGIE:::

Steve Aoki gets my endorsement.

And with that I'm out this thread.

he's definitely puttin in work. just check out cobrasnake.com

• Also, the whole thing about paying dues... yeah I hear you. But at the same time dude is dedicated to making himself a better DJ. What's wrong with that?

nothing, but if you start out as a celeb dj before paying dues, i think its difficult to earn the respect of your (djing) peers after-the-fact.

i'm sure the acting message boards are salty everytime an athlete or musician gets a starring role in a film...even though people like Penny Hardaway are obviously natural-born-thespians.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I hear you, Keith. I also think people put way too much energy into what OTHER people are doing, dig?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Anyway, a few years ago, my friend related a story from a member of one of the bands his band toured with. Apparently after or before a show with This Machine Kills, one of the kids in the band, a teenager, said something to the effect of "that girl is hot" or "Brazilian girls are hot." The latter is a little more questionable because of the fetishism aspect of it, and it's sometimes awkward/difficult to let someone know you have a problem with something they said, but apparently Steve Aoki starts crying and saying "Why are you objectifying women?" As though he's going to appeal to this kid who doesn't even understand what he did wrong from an emotional angle . . . If this went down exactly like Sikander described it, dude had to look batshit.

not to mention he's good friends with a cradle-robbing creepster.

• AdelfiAdelfi 92 Posts
    Steve Aoki is the last DJ on the planet that I would ever be "salty" or jealous of.

Have you actually heard him mix? The terms "TRAINWRECK" and "SNEAKERS IN A DRYER" come to mind.

Please don't confuse my observation of his change in attitude and transformation from political hardcore nice guy to "DJ" to the stars as any form of jealousy whatsoever.

The thought of having my picture taken as I attempt to "teach" firecrotch how to "mix" with my laptop is quite possibly my worst nightmare.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I dont have an opinion on dude and yall are sounding mighty asshurt over some guys hustle, but can we all please STOP USEING THE TERM FIRECROTCH, this only serves to validate whiney rich kids like brandon Davis and Paris H... Fuck i cant even type her name without gritting my teeth.

please, people, enough of this, there is a greater power to battle, your help is needed immediatly at the Katrina thread, the lizards are coming!!!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Steve Aoki is the last DJ on the planet that I would ever be "salty" or jealous of.

Have you actually heard him mix? The terms "TRAINWRECK" and "SNEAKERS IN A DRYER" come to mind.

Please don't confuse my observation of his change in attitude and transformation from political hardcore nice guy to "DJ" to the stars as any form of jealousy whatsoever.

The thought of having my picture taken as I attempt to "teach" firecrotch how to "mix" with my laptop is quite possibly my worst nightmare.

Nobody said YOU were salty or jealous of him. But there are lots of people who are because of his stature. That is just a fact. And I don't know about his past as a "political hardcore niceguy."

However I do know him as being a good guy, to me at least, when we have hung up and worked together, and therefore I stand up for him. As or his DJing, like I said, he went from being not good from when I first met him to being pretty good. But then again, what do I know about DJing?

And as for the photos with celebrities, this reminds me of the backlash when the photos of Wolf teaching Usher how to spin came out. Who cares? Why would you care? Seriously? I honestly would like to know why you would care.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    If dude sucks as a DJ he sucks as a DJ... Don't throw that argument, "well you have to respect his hustle"... That shit is weak because if he wasn't gracing the covers of so and so magazine or having celeb friends most, if not every DJ on here would be clowning him and he truthfully wouldn't be making any noise. And no i am not asshurt. If people wanna shell out the dough to listen to him, more power to him, I just can't say from my experience listening to him that skillwise he is even average.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    If dude sucks as a DJ he sucks as a DJ... Don't throw that argument, "well you have to respect his hustle"... That shit is weak because if he wasn't gracing the covers of so and so magazine or having celeb friends most, if not every DJ on here would be clowning him and he truthfully wouldn't be making any noise. And no i am not asshurt. If people wanna shell out the dough to listen to him, more power to him, I just can't say from my experience listening to him that skillwise he is even average.

Hey dude, you obviously didn't read what I said:

As or his DJing, like I said, he went from being not good from when I first met him to being pretty good. But then again, what do I know about DJing?

And doesn't

And no i am not asshurt. If people wanna shell out the dough to listen to him, more power to him

pretty much mean the same thing as:

Don't throw that argument, "well you have to respect his hustle"

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

I'd like to teach "firecrotch" how to mix!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Hey dude, you obviously didn't read what I said:

As or his DJing, like I said, he went from being not good from when I first met him to being pretty good. But then again, what do I know about DJing?

And doesn't

And no i am not asshurt. If people wanna shell out the dough to listen to him, more power to him

pretty much mean the same thing as:

Don't throw that argument, "well you have to respect his hustle"

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Cosmo, that wasn't directed towards you I was just summing up overall, my opinion having seen dude live and responding to a bunch of posts in this thread. Really though, if he weren't who he is, he wouldn't be allowed to DJ at those eventsand I am just calling a spade a spade as far as his skill as a DJ is concerned. But whatever, these days its not about "skill" its about who you bring to the party and he brings em to the party. Thats more what I meant about people shelling out dough to be at a scene and out here... it is a scene (It may not be in NYC) and he is in the thick of it.

• Face it folks, kids who come from money and work their asses off will always rise to the top a lot faster than kids who don't come from money and work just as hard. That's what is really the issue here.

But what I am really asshurt about is this term 'firecrotch'. As a card-carrying ginger-kid, I find this totally offensive. My crotch is not on fire, heck, it's a nice 98.2 degrees right now. And if it was on fire, I'd be screaming incessantly.

We don't call brunettes 'coalcrotch' do we?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'd like to teach "firecrotch" how to mix!

No, no I don't know what you ming.