45 storage for cheap

ladydayladyday 623 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I was never into 45s before but I'm starting to collect them now. I think it's the soulstrut effect. What's good for storage? I'm not a dj so I don't need some carpeted heavy duty case, more like found objects from around the house or a common vintage boxy thing.I'm sure this has been discussed before, but not in the last 3 months.

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Bags Unlimited sells cardboard boxes for like $5 each I think...a lot of record stores sell them too. If you're looking for even cheaper than that check places like Big Lots, they used to have little plastic crates that were the perfect size for like 49 cents.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I was never into 45s before but I'm starting to collect them now. I think it's the soulstrut effect. What's good for storage? I'm not a dj so I don't need some carpeted heavy duty case, more like found objects from around the house or a common vintage boxy thing.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but not in the last 3 months.

sierra nevada (or lots of other beer) 12 pack boxes are good. you want the thick corrugated boxes, not the flimsy ones. like the corona boxes which aren't as sturdy.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    ask in your local graf shop. the montana 6 pack boxes are perfect.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I have been waiting for a good answer (cheap or not) to this question forever.

• I'm not really going out of my way to collect these 45 cases, but they keep accumulating. Bought a couple at the flea market this week for a couple bucks a piece (note shameless flossing of The Trinikas)

IKEA was selling these for a while for a few dollars (not sure if they still have them). They hold a lot of 45s and are easy to flip through but not sturdy at all, so transporting them is not an option. But great for home use.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Just stack them on a broom handle through the hole and keep them in the corner.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    sierra nevada (or lots of other beer) 12 pack boxes are good. you want the thick corrugated boxes, not the flimsy ones. like the corona boxes which aren't as sturdy.

First time I came to DJ at the bar carrying my fo-fives in a Blue Moon box the doorman stopped me...

Corona boxes used to be heavier and not have that flip-top lid, they're no longer an option

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    the boxes that hold printer paper work like a charm. You gotta know somebody who works in an office. Ask them to grab you some.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

If that can give ideas to some...

That's how 45s are stored at home. I would have liked to make this storage in wood by myself but no time, no money... I'm fed up with cardbroad and I'll manage sooner or later to give a better look to my living-room. Because of this storage it has definitely

BUT... What's intersting here is that The crates under my turntables are long, I can store so much 45s in here! Above the turntables are some 45s for sale / trade and smaller crates (where I put my favourite selections).

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i have been using a box cutter to wine boxes and been having great, free, results. Mine are just for home but if you plan on taking them in and out, cutting them a little higher would give a little added protection and support.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Man I have so many damn 45s at this point. I have been rocking the bags Unlimited carboard boxes for years now. I'm seriously ready to throw down on some sort of nice shelving system or nice non-carboard containers but I have remained without any potential solutions.

Hasn't someone come up with some sort or shelving or non-carboard solution?

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

I'm not really going out of my way to collect these 45 cases, but they keep accumulating. Bought a couple at the flea market this week for a couple bucks a piece (note shameless flossing of The Trinikas)

These are dope. I am definitely checking for them but I need something in the meantime.

I will probably go the cardboard route for now and get my decoupage on so my living room doesn't look like a liquor store.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    IKEA has started doing wooden 'Trissa' storage boxes in LP, CD (single row) and 45 size. the 45 size one is actually a bit larger than seven inches, and doesn't specifically say '45' unlike the LP and CD ones, but they fit and are stackable. no lid though... are GBP 4.49 each over here...