STEELY DAN: OFFICIAL CRYBABY PUSSIES

13»

Comments

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    Do you think they really had a typewriter with them in The Residential Suites at Longworth?

Nonetheless, a few gems:

"...there is one petite solid you could do for us at this time...."

"Your bro may be creating an extremely retrograde reality matrix for himself...."

It's those purposely patronising attempts at dude-speak that are my favourite parts. That, and the fact that it's addressed to Luke Wilson, as though a) to imply that he might spends too much of his life making excuses for his brother, and b) that there'd be little point addressing Owen directly because he's too dumb anyway, so can you talk some sense into him? It's one of the most beautifully crafted disses I've read in years; a "stereo demonstration record" of disses, if you will.

Err... but if they are trying to insult Owen Wilson then they completely miss the mark with all of that dude-speak and patronization. In reality he is a very talented writer and an intelligent guy (anyone see that letter he wrote to David Denby in the New Yorker a while back?).

I'd reserve judgment on how talented a writer he is until I saw him write something without Wes Anderson.

How about seeing something Wes Anderson wrote without Owen Wilson?

Still doesn't prove anything. Life Aquatic sucked but he wrote that with Baumbach who happens to be a talented film writer (Squid and the Whale was great).

• Still doesn't prove anything. Life Aquatic sucked but he wrote that with Baumbach who happens to be a talented film writer (Squid and the Whale was great).

So......Squid and the Whale is great and Life Aquatic sucks? Not feelin that analysis. Squid and the Whale was solid "talky" fare...Life Aquatic was its own world.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Life Aquatic sucked

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    OMFG ISIS WAS SO HOTT!!!!!

Pretty much any chick that carries a sceptre and
    a raven on her wrist is gonna get my attention...
    but she was legitimately fine, to boot!

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    Life Aquatic was an excuse to wear funny costumes.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Life Aquatic was an excuse to wear funny costumes.

What about for average Americans to find out about Samba Soul Brother #1?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Do you think they really had a typewriter with them in The Residential Suites at Longworth?

Nonetheless, a few gems:

"...there is one petite solid you could do for us at this time...."

"Your bro may be creating an extremely retrograde reality matrix for himself...."

It's those purposely patronising attempts at dude-speak that are my favourite parts. That, and the fact that it's addressed to Luke Wilson, as though a) to imply that he might spend too much of his life making excuses for his brother, and b) that there'd be little point addressing Owen directly because he's too dumb anyway, so can you talk some sense into him? It's one of the most beautifully crafted disses I've read in years; a "stereo demonstration record" of disses, if you will.

Err... but if they are trying to insult Owen Wilson then they completely miss the mark with all of that dude-speak and patronization. In reality he is a very talented writer and an intelligent guy (anyone see that letter he wrote to David Denby in the New Yorker a while back?).

I meant "patronising" as in a send-up of themselves as two old geezers being patronising by trying to talk the way they think the young'un's talk.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    average Canadian's

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    By the way, I can't believe people are actually taking this Dan letter seriously. As if you'd publish a genuine, bonafide threat of violence toward a public figure on your own website. Actually, wait a minute...no, but anyway, Becker and Fagen had the sarcasm-as-high-art game on lock for almost the whole of the 1970's and change, and this kind of pisstake is right up their street. Some of you guys need to listen to some Steely Dan records.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

i didnt read any of this cuz i dont care about steely dan

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    average Canadian's

Well, since the film wasn't made by Canadians or made for... I put Americans.

But if it makes you sleep well at night, ok.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    average Canadian's

Well, since the film wasn't made by Canadians or made for... I put Americans.

But if it makes you sleep well at night, ok.

Nah, I said that because that was the first time I heard Seu, and I'm from the north.

Saw him live last month.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Still doesn't prove anything. Life Aquatic sucked but he wrote that with Baumbach who happens to be a talented film writer (Squid and the Whale was great).

So......Squid and the Whale is great and Life Aquatic sucks? Not feelin that analysis. Squid and the Whale was solid "talky" fare...Life Aquatic was its own world.

Owen Wilson's "acting" is what sucked about Life Aquatic. Dude's a one trick pony. But overall the movie was a mess. Squid and the Whale was pretty tight.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Yeah the show was called ARK II. You're confusing it with the charactor "Mentor" from the SHAZAM show.

cool! man i swear i musta saw that show 5 times then they yanked it.

better than salma hayek! man i totally forgot about this show until i saw that bottom flick.

anyways, what's going on here again? i thought it was about steely dan but then theres all this shit about life aquatic and tennenbaums. eh, i dont care. wussup with some more saturday morning live action joints plaese!

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    All I know is they've always been a bunch of arsholes, Donald Fagen especially.

I bet if you spoke to most of the session musicians they've ever hired they've agreed.

I remember Bernard Purdie saying that'd make them do 100 takes and then choose the 2nd or 3rd. It didn't sound like an enjoyable experience to make that AJA record.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I remember Bernard Purdie saying that'd make them do 100 takes and then choose the 2nd or 3rd.

Yeah Purdie needs 100 takes, fuck outta here.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Yeah the show was called ARK II. You're confusing it with the charactor "Mentor" from the SHAZAM show.

cool! man i swear i musta saw that show 5 times then they I[/b] yanked it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    By the way, I can't believe people are actually taking this Dan letter seriously. As if you'd publish a genuine, bonafide threat of violence toward a public figure on your own website. Actually, wait a minute...no, but anyway, Becker and Fagen had the sarcasm-as-high-art game on lock for almost the whole of the 1970's and change, and this kind of pisstake is right up their street. Some of you guys need to listen to some Steely Dan records.

No one should be taking this letter for anything other than what it is: deluded masturbatory posturing from a pair of yacht-rock douchebags. I'm not going to re-state what I said in the previous thread, but suffice it to say: it was rife with hate and filthy language.

Sarcasm-as-high-art? Pfft. I'll take Ambrose Bierce, thank you very much. Devil's Dictionary on that ass.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Dood needs to bring back the beard and 'stache. I don't like the looks of that "sanitized" Michael McDonald.

Ha!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Owen Wilson has released a statement:

I have never heard the song 'Cousin Dupree' and I don't even know who this gentleman, Mr. Steely Dan, is. I hope this helps to clear things up and I can get back to concentrating on my new movie, 'HEY 19.'

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

cool! man i swear i musta saw that show 5 times then they I[/b] yanked it.

oh my god how dare you! i was a kid when this show was one.

i did, however, "yank it" 5 times after i saw this picture yesterday.

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
    Bad enough they've polluted the musical landscape with their overproduced pseudointellectual "coked out LA studio session man" stereo system test "jazz rock," sued Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz without mercy, come out with solo work even worse than their official group albums, made looking like a Berkeley college professor an acceptable onstage image, have compounded the problem by touring with bearded "r'n'b lite" icon Michael McDonald, and worst of all, fooled the majority of this board into thinking they actually recorded good music.

Now, millions of dollars and several Grammy-winning terds later they can't think of anything better to do with their time than write a contrived "hey man, like, dude, this isn't cool" open letter to Luke Wilson to complain about his brother Owen not giving them a slice of the YOU, ME & DUPREE pie.

http://www.steelydan.com/heyluke.html

Hey man - like Don and Walt, the guys from Steely Dan, who won those Grammies that time, could you like, lighten up. That's soooo not California transcendental meditation of you. What would your Malibu guru say about this? I mean, dudes, you're harshing my mellow.

Pathetic hippies. Owen Wilson is a 1000 times more entertaining than you and he's probably a lot more fun to hang out with.

By the way Don & Walt, did you ever send William Burroughs a royalty check for swiping his words for your band name? Hm. Didn't think so. Interesting how the rules don't apply to you.

Go suck it, you clowns.

their sarcasm seems to be totally lost on you. and your conceptualization of them as california hippies is about as far off the mark as is possible. i suppose i might hate them too under such misunderstanding.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

And when you dis Michael McDonald, you dis yourself.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Steely Dan have been sampled in some songs that I like, and as I have gotten older some of their songs have become palatable to me. So I keep thinking that I will pick up one of their records for fifty cents or for free because they're not exactly hard to come by. But every time I am about to do it there is a part of me, the part that is still a sixteen year old hardcore punk, that won't let me do it. Steely Dan are the opposite of punk.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I like AJA and a lot of Steely Dan's music but I have always got the impression they were wankers.

I think Morrisey is an arsehole, but I love The Smiths.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    if they are trying to insult Owen Wilson then they completely miss the mark with all of that dude-speak and patronization.

I think Becker and Fagen deserve an ass-whipping more for insulting Zal Yanovsky. He was the lead guitarist with the Lovin' Spoonful, and released a great oddball solo album - to me, more than just a semi-obscure sixties reference. To me, anyway.

• if they are trying to insult Owen Wilson then they completely miss the mark with all of that dude-speak and patronization.

I think Becker and Fagen deserve an ass-whipping more for insulting Zal Yanovsky. He was the lead guitarist with the Lovin' Spoonful, and released a great oddball solo album - to me, more than just a semi-obscure sixties reference. To me, anyway.

That Zal record is indeed snoozed on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    cool! man i swear i musta saw that show 5 times then they yanked it.

wussup with some more saturday morning live action joints plaese!

I have a VHS of a handful of episodes of ARK II. Classic 70's scifi show.

Isis is that shit." Winter winds that blow so high, lift me now so i can fly!!!" Somethin' like that.

Electra Woman & Dyna Girl

Jason of Star Command

BigFoot and Wildboy