STEELY DAN: OFFICIAL CRYBABY PUSSIES

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Dood needs to bring back the beard and 'stache. I don't like the looks of that "sanitized" Michael McDonald.

Ha!

I was just informed that the pic you posted really *isn't* MM.

They all look the same to me.

• Dood needs to bring back the beard and 'stache. I don't like the looks of that "sanitized" Michael McDonald.

Ha!

I was just informed that the pic you posted really *isn't* MM.

They all look the same to me.

Yup. Them. (shudder)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Eh, whatever. I have a hunch that if Don, Walt, and the aforementioned coked-out session men were all Parisian, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Again.

In a side note: Can anyone verify the reports of chriscarnahan2 cruising Nordstrom Rack fronting like he's Luke Wilson?

GIRL, YOU'RE LOOKING A STRONG NM

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Steely Dan are alright, Marco. You should hear them do their Pretzel Logic LP live. You might even begin to worship them.

I mean....Do It Again. Are you truly telling me you're hating on that?! I know people who can remember what cologne they were wearing the first time they heard that song.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I think Steely Dan is so overrated. They made a couple of decent tunes I would say but just because they were able to hire the best sessionmen around doesn't make them great or anything. Also that solo album Donald Fagen did...the Nightfly...are you kiddin me? Overproduced ass pop is what it is!
    I can't really listen to Donald Fagen singing for more than 5 minutes.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    although i haven't checked their 'new' stuff, Steely Dan is righteous. I have no idea who Owen Wilson is, but he got his ass handed to him right there that letter is fucking awesome. Sure they come off as being full of themselves but given their track record they get a pass. did i mention that letter is fucking

• I think Steely Dan is so overrated. They made a couple of decent tunes I would say but just because they were able to hire the best sessionmen around doesn't make them great or anything. Also that solo album Donald Fagen did...the Nightfly...are you kiddin me? Overproduced ass pop is what it is!

Pretty tough talk from a guy in wooden shoes....

...and I don't see how one can get angry over that letter.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I think Steely Dan is so overrated. They made a couple of decent tunes I would say but just because they were able to hire the best sessionmen around doesn't make them great or anything. Also that solo album Donald Fagen did...the Nightfly...are you kiddin me? Overproduced ass pop is what it is!

Pretty tough talk from a guy in wooden shoes....

I should have put things a little differently I suppose.....it's hot here and this jazzstation was playing these Donald Fagen tracks again for the zillionth time again today at work so excuse me if I came across a bit rude.

The cloghopper with tulip up his ass.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    mean....Do It Again. Are you truly telling me you're hating on that?! I know people who can remember what cologne they were wearing the first time they heard that song.

I'll admit that I can remember what dentist office I was in the first time I heard that song.

mean....Do It Again. Are you truly telling me you're hating on that?! I know people who can remember what cologne they were wearing the first time they heard that song.

I'll admit that I can remember what dentist office I was in the first time I heard that song.

As good of a comeback it may be, that was just down right uncalled for...

Dudes just got a lil baked and wanted Owen to show up at one of their shows. Is that so wrong?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Do you think they really had a typewriter with them in The Residential Suites at Longworth?

Nonetheless, a few gems:

"...there is one petite solid you could do for us at this time...."

"Your bro may be creating an extremely retrograde reality matrix for himself...."

It's those purposely patronising attempts at dude-speak that are my favourite parts. That, and the fact that it's addressed to Luke Wilson, as though a) to imply that he might spends too much of his life making excuses for his brother, and b) that there'd be little point addressing Owen directly because he's too dumb anyway, so can you talk some sense into him? It's one of the most beautifully crafted disses I've read in years; a "stereo demonstration record" of disses, if you will.

Err... but if they are trying to insult Owen Wilson then they completely miss the mark with all of that dude-speak and patronization. In reality he is a very talented writer and an intelligent guy (anyone see that letter he wrote to David Denby in the New Yorker a while back?).

Merely writing a letter to the New Yorker does not make one intelligent. I thought he came off looking ridiculous in that one...Denby is a critic. Guess what? Your friend Ben Stiller makes some awful films. Take off your Dude Glasses, and try watching one.

By the way, Owen, how was I:Spy?

Steely Dan sucks, and this is a douche move. Fuck them folls, too.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah, fuck all that noise. 

The lawyer scare wasn't good enough? And you can't write to the guy himself?

This must be a joke, cause the whole thing stinks of bullshit. From them addressing it to Luke instead of straight at Owen to their "Hey,we're superstars, but staying in some dump in Corpus Christi".

Did they already blow that 1 mill they got from suing Sony on coke?

-

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Bad enough they've polluted the musical landscape with their overproduced pseudointellectual "coked out LA studio session man" stereo system test "jazz rock," sued Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz without mercy, come out with solo work even worse than their official group albums, made looking like a Berkeley college professor an acceptable onstage image, have compounded the problem by touring with bearded "r'n'b lite" icon Michael McDonald, and worst of all, fooled the majority of this board into thinking they actually recorded good music.

Now, millions of dollars and several Grammy-winning terds later they can't think of anything better to do with their time than write a contrived "hey man, like, dude, this isn't cool" open letter to Luke Wilson to complain about his brother Owen not giving them a slice of the YOU, ME & DUPREE pie.

http://www.steelydan.com/heyluke.html

Hey man - like Don and Walt, the guys from Steely Dan, who won those Grammies that time, could you like, lighten up. That's soooo not California transcendental meditation of you. What would your Malibu guru say about this? I mean, dudes, you're harshing my mellow.

Pathetic hippies. Owen Wilson is a 1000 times more entertaining than you and he's probably a lot more fun to hang out with.

By the way Don & Walt, did you ever send William Burroughs a royalty check for swiping his words for your band name? Hm. Didn't think so. Interesting how the rules don't apply to you.

Go suck it, you clowns.

hey marco, i didnt read any of this cuz i dont care about steely dan but is your avatar from like an old saturday morning tv show? where these crazy mofos drove around in a space winnebago on mars or some shit? ive been trying to remember the name of that show since like forever. i thought it was called the mentor or something like that. do you know what im talking about?

Merely writing a letter to the New Yorker does not make one intelligent.
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Where in my post did I imply this?

I thought he came off looking ridiculous in that one...Denby is a critic. Guess what? Your friend Ben Stiller makes some awful films. Take off your Dude Glasses, and try watching one.
    I think that you missed the point.

Well...Maybe you implied it by pointing out that his letter to the New Yorker was an example of his remarkable intelligence and talent as a writer. Which I thought was an example of precisely the opposite. I thought it was an example of him being an asshurt, albeit loyal, friend who wouldn't have gotten his letter published without his famous name attached.

If I missed the sarcasm, my bad.

Maybe I missed the point, or maybe you didn't explain yourself so well.

• Maybe I missed the point

This is clearly the case, as I seem to recall you typing "STEELY DAN sucks."

Maybe I missed the point

This is clearly the case, as I seem to recall you typing "STEELY DAN sucks."

Hey, Man...What's your beef? Drink your Big, Black Cow, and get outta here!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I bet they did all that blow off the asses and titties of strippers so hot it would make your eyes melt out of your skull.

This thread could use a whole lot of

I'm sure they did. Former trailer park gurls need luv too...

Oh btw,

grem should be strictly used for bitches who write up a threating letter addressed thru somebody's brother... Talking about having to be worried about the possibly of one of their "workers" beating his ass.

Yeah, I'm definitely mad

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

How about co-writing Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, & Royal Tannenbaums?

You know, I included that in my response, but didn't want to seem too smarmy. But, yes, point out Rushmore before the NYer letter.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

You know, I included that in my response, but didn't want to seem too smarmy. But, yes, point out Rushmore before the NYer letter.

Not necessarily defending Wilson, not necessarily defending the Dan boys, just sayin'. You can't accidentally be a part of writing those three movies.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Back seat of mom's station wagon somewhere in the vicinity of Broad and Olney.

Not necessarily defending Wilson, not necessarily defending the Dan boys, just sayin'. You can't accidentally be a part of writing those three movies.

Seen. Rushmore is pretty much

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    hey marco, i didnt read any of this cuz i dont care about steely dan

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER

but is your avatar from like an old saturday morning tv show? where these crazy mofos drove around in a space winnebago on mars or some shit? ive been trying to remember the name of that show since like forever. i thought it was called the mentor or something like that. do you know what im talking about?

Yeah the show was called ARK II. You're confusing it with the charactor "Mentor" from the SHAZAM show.

SHAZAM ran right before or after ARK II, and was part of the SHAZAM/ISIS POWER HOUR or something.

BTW Isis was Salma Hayek before Salma Hayek was Salma Hayek.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    Do you think they really had a typewriter with them in The Residential Suites at Longworth?

Nonetheless, a few gems:

"...there is one petite solid you could do for us at this time...."

"Your bro may be creating an extremely retrograde reality matrix for himself...."

It's those purposely patronising attempts at dude-speak that are my favourite parts. That, and the fact that it's addressed to Luke Wilson, as though a) to imply that he might spends too much of his life making excuses for his brother, and b) that there'd be little point addressing Owen directly because he's too dumb anyway, so can you talk some sense into him? It's one of the most beautifully crafted disses I've read in years; a "stereo demonstration record" of disses, if you will.

Err... but if they are trying to insult Owen Wilson then they completely miss the mark with all of that dude-speak and patronization. In reality he is a very talented writer and an intelligent guy (anyone see that letter he wrote to David Denby in the New Yorker a while back?).

I'd reserve judgment on how talented a writer he is until I saw him write something without Wes Anderson.

-

-

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Where in my post did I imply this?

I thought he came off looking ridiculous in that one...Denby is a critic. Guess what? Your friend Ben Stiller makes some awful films. Take off your Dude Glasses, and try watching one.
    I think that you missed the point.

Well...Maybe you implied it by pointing out that his letter to the New Yorker was an example of his remarkable intelligence and talent as a writer. Which I thought was an example of precisely the opposite. I thought it was an example of him being an asshurt, albeit loyal, friend who wouldn't have gotten his letter published without his famous name attached.

If I missed the sarcasm, my bad.

Maybe I missed the point, or maybe you didn't explain yourself so well.

[faux]You need to work on your reading comprehension.[/faux]

Wait. Did I miss it again?