STEELY DAN: OFFICIAL CRYBABY PUSSIES

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
Bad enough they've polluted the musical landscape with their overproduced pseudointellectual "coked out LA studio session man" stereo system test "jazz rock," sued Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz without mercy, come out with solo work even worse than their official group albums, made looking like a Berkeley college professor an acceptable onstage image, have compounded the problem by touring with bearded "r'n'b lite" icon Michael McDonald, and worst of all, fooled the majority of this board into thinking they actually recorded good music.Now, millions of dollars and several Grammy-winning terds later they can't think of anything better to do with their time than write a contrived "hey man, like, dude, this isn't cool" open letter to Luke Wilson to complain about his brother Owen not giving them a slice of the YOU, ME & DUPREE pie.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Yeah, somebody needs to brush the sand outta their vagina.

• Yeah, somebody needs to brush the sand outta their vagina.

I don't think it's Steely Dan though....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Funny, I'm listening to Steely Dan right now.

Think I'll listen to this afterwards:

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Think I'll listen to this afterwards:

I MEAN REALLY

• Bad enough they've polluted the musical landscape with their overproduced pseudointellectual "coked out LA studio session man" stereo system test "jazz rock," sued Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz without mercy, come out with solo work even worse than their official group albums, made looking like a Berkeley college professor an acceptable onstage image, have compounded the problem by touring with bearded "r'n'b lite" icon Michael McDonald, and worst of all, fooled the majority of this board into thinking they actually recorded good music.

Now, millions of dollars and several Grammy-winning terds later they can't think of anything better to do with their time than write a contrived "hey man, like, dude, this isn't cool" open letter to Luke Wilson to complain about his brother Owen not giving them a slice of the YOU, ME & DUPREE pie.

http://www.steelydan.com/heyluke.html

Hey man - like Don and Walt, the guys from Steely Dan, who won those Grammies that time, could you like, lighten up. That's soooo not California transcendental meditation of you. What would your Malibu guru say about this? I mean, dudes, you're harshing my mellow.

Pathetic hippies. Owen Wilson is a 1000 times more entertaining than you and he's probably a lot more fun to hang out with.

By the way Don & Walt, did you ever send William Burroughs a royalty check for swiping his words for your band name? Hm. Didn't think so. Interesting how the rules don't apply to you.

Go suck it, you clowns.

Who knew you were such a fan of the Wilson Brosses?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    In a related story, one of the session guitarists for Steely Dan was in a band with my mom and he and his family stayed with us once while they were doing some recording. Long story short, he expected to be treated like royalty and was a total pain in the ass so my mom straight kicked him out of the house. It was pretty awesome... go Red Ferrari!

I was going to write "no 'you mad doggie' icons allowed in this thread" notice at the end of that post but I didn't want to spoil anyone's fun.

• Bad enough they've polluted the musical landscape with their overproduced pseudointellectual "coked out LA studio session man" stereo system test "jazz rock," sued Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz without mercy, come out with solo work even worse than their official group albums, made looking like a Berkeley college professor an acceptable onstage image, have compounded the problem by touring with bearded "r'n'b lite" icon Michael McDonald, and worst of all, fooled the majority of this board into thinking they actually recorded good music.

Now, millions of dollars and several Grammy-winning terds later they can't think of anything better to do with their time than write a contrived "hey man, like, dude, this isn't cool" open letter to Luke Wilson to complain about his brother Owen not giving them a slice of the YOU, ME & DUPREE pie.

Hey man - like Don and Walt, the guys from Steely Dan, who won those Grammies that time, could you like, lighten up. That's soooo not California transcendental meditation of you. What would your Malibu guru say about this? I mean, dudes, you're harshing my mellow.

Pathetic hippies. Owen Wilson is a 1000 times more entertaining than you and he's probably a lot more fun to hang out with.

By the way Don & Walt, did you ever send William Burroughs a royalty check for swiping his words for your band name? Hm. Didn't think so. Interesting how the rules don't apply to you.

Go suck it, you clowns.

Who knew you were such a fan of the Wilson Brosses?

That in itself suggests that Marco's rant (like the Steely Dan thing) might be a colossal put-on (or one would hope.....)

• Who knew you were such a fan of the Wilson Brosses?

That in itself suggests that Marco's rant (like the Steely Dan thing) might be a colossal put-on (or one would hope.....)

I think he's on record as being anti-THE DAN and anti-PROG ROCK.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Wow. These guys come off as salty pricks. Lord Tariq I can understand but this shit = head up their own asses pretentious pusballs. Also, as a fan of Steely Dan music, I can't even remember what album Cousin Dupree is on.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, somebody needs to brush the sand outta their vagina.

I don't think it's Steely Dan though....

Oh, it's the Dan alright. More specifically, Walter Becker. The "Zal Yanovsky of the 21st Century" gag is great. Obviously they know they don't really have a case as far as YM&D is concerned, but they're not going to let that stop them from dissing Owen Wilson, who's a bit of a yutz, after all. I think it's hot that they don't take themselves as seriously as the people who hate them do, never mind the people who love them, of which I am proud to count myself as one.

And when you dis Michael McDonald, you dis yourself.

EDIT: Funky16, I now realise that you weren't questioning the validity of the Dan's letter. My bad.

I can't even remember what album Cousin Dupree is on.

Two Against Nature.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    fooled the majority of this board into thinking they actually recorded good music.

I'm glad someone said it. Let's add Weather Report to that list too.

That I understand, though I don't know who would classify Steelay Dan as "prog rock" which makes as much sense as calling them hippies...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Bad enough they've polluted the musical landscape with their overproduced pseudointellectual "coked out LA studio session man" stereo system test "jazz rock," sued Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz without mercy, come out with solo work even worse than their official group albums, made looking like a Berkeley college professor an acceptable onstage image, have compounded the problem by touring with bearded "r'n'b lite" icon Michael McDonald, and worst of all, fooled the majority of this board into thinking they actually recorded good music.

Go suck it, you clowns.

I'm surprised that Tom Scharpling granted the sample clearance for this post.

I think he's on record as being anti-THE DAN

I'm surprised that Tom Scharpling granted the sample clearance for this post.

DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT
    DAMN RIGHT

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I thought their letter of complaint was muy tongue-in-cheek.

That I understand, though I don't know who would classify Steelay Dan as "prog rock" which makes as much sense as calling them hippies...

Naw, I don't think anyone called them that. I just remember threads about prog rock that brought out similar vitriolic responses from yr boy Jacques du Crunk.

Naw, I don't think anyone called them that. I just remember threads about prog rock that brought out similar vitriolic responses from yr boy Jacques du Crunk.

Now I am understanding!

• And when you dis Michael McDonald, you dis yourself.

• LMAO @ stereo-demonstration-rock.

One of their producers came and lectured to us at school, and was spouting off pretentious recording engineer nonsense like how playing tracks back from certain harddrives sound different to his perfect ears. At one point I yelled "YEAH BUT STEELY DAN STILL SUCKS ASS" which everyone in the room seemed to agree with.

That letter reeks of organic sprout farts

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Do you think they really had a typewriter with them in The Residential Suites at Longworth?

Nonetheless, a few gems:

"...there is one petite solid you could do for us at this time...."

"Your bro may be creating an extremely retrograde reality matrix for himself...."

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

As he rises to her apology...

Anybody else would surely know

I wonder if they ever heard that Bizzie Boys song?

• Dood needs to bring back the beard and 'stache. I don't like the looks of that "sanitized" Michael McDonald.

Dood needs to bring back the beard and 'stache. I don't like the looks of that "sanitized" Michael McDonald.

Ha!

• Dood needs to bring back the beard and 'stache. I don't like the looks of that "castrated" Michael McDonald.

Do you think they really had a typewriter with them in The Residential Suites at Longworth?

Nonetheless, a few gems:

"...there is one petite solid you could do for us at this time...."

"Your bro may be creating an extremely retrograde reality matrix for himself...."

It's those purposely patronising attempts at dude-speak that are my favourite parts. That, and the fact that it's addressed to Luke Wilson, as though a) to imply that he might spends too much of his life making excuses for his brother, and b) that there'd be little point addressing Owen directly because he's too dumb anyway, so can you talk some sense into him? It's one of the most beautifully crafted disses I've read in years; a "stereo demonstration record" of disses, if you will.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    After reading the letter I have to say that I got a whole lot more repsect for Steely Dan because they are willing to settle this matter man to man. Luke get your ass down to that show and make that apology. It could save your career.

• Dood needs to bring back the beard and 'stache. I don't like the looks of that "sanitized" Michael McDonald.

Ha!

I was just informed that the pic you posted really *isn't* MM.