Digging in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

MurakamiFiendMurakamiFiend 9 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I just moved to the area, and am wondering what the local spots are. Any leads would be much appreciated!

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I'm fucking with you BTW

But one has to be either dilligent or lucky to come up on heaters round here

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Does a shop called Mr. Freeze still exist?

You know, thats highly disputed among even those of us in the know... the main store's been closed for years but I keep hearing rumours (and even radio announcements?!?!) about his 'outlet' shop... which isn't listed in the phone book or online

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

You know, thats highly disputed among even those of us in the know... the main store's been closed for years but I keep hearing rumours (and even radio announcements?!?!) about his 'outlet' shop... which isn't listed in the phone book or online

Fuck that crook muthafucka!!! Dude was mad jakey back in the day, offering up bullshit record deals. My crew and I won a statewide rap contest back in '89, which included a record contract. My attorney ended up redlining just about the whole document. Instead, Freeze offered it up to Hip Hop Society.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, I think we've had this discussion before:

1) Hip Hop Society test pressings litter NC's landscape, and

2) Freeze ripped off my dad bigtime on a huge 12" collection

I've never bought a damn thing off dude

• I'm fucking with you BTW

But one has to be either dilligent or lucky to come up on heaters round here

Point definitely taken . . . I've been through about eight different editions of the Yellow Pages. It seems places are open for two weeks and then close. I'll cross my fingers, pound the pavement, and hope either diligence or luck comes through eventually (meanwhile keeping an eye peeled for the enigmatic Mr. Freeze).

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    you can't dig in the record stores there. You will actually have to go out and find spots. NC has crazy shite everywhere, just gotta know where to look.

Here is what I learned:

salvation armys and Goodwills are your friend
    small towns are your friend
    west is better than east and south is better than west
    fleas

There are a few record spots to hit every month or so, but they are littered throughout the state.

• you can't dig in the record stores there. You will actually have to go out and find spots. NC has crazy shite everywhere, just gotta know where to look.

Here is what I learned:

salvation armys and Goodwills are your friend
    small towns are your friend
    west is better than east and south is better than west
    fleas

There are a few record spots to hit every month or so, but they are littered throughout the state.

Thanks for the tips!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i know there's record stores in charlotte too but a lot of them probably suck. little towns sometimes have old "antique" shops that use stacks of records to set old lamps and shit on. never know what you'll find in nc. i'm gonna make an attempt next month myself.

• GlockoseGlockose 49 Posts
    It's been a few years and a lot of sleep since I was diggin there so I need a little help.

There was a chain of Book stores that had records. I did OK.
    The store in C.Hill had a little food place around the corner that had a GREAT stash of records cant remember the name sorry. It was a same lunch place that had a record store in the back. I really kick a** there.

And I always did good in Greensbough

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Yeah you can find good - even great - records here if you're persistent, but the supply is very hot and cold, mostly cold. Luckily when you do find something good, it's usually dirt cheap. Gotta admit I've been getting a lot more stuff off eBay over the past few months compared to digging in the field though.

• It's been a few years and a lot of sleep since I was diggin there so I need a little help.

There was a chain of Book stores that had records. I did OK.
    The store in C.Hill had a little food place around the corner that had a GREAT stash of records cant remember the name sorry. It was a same lunch place that had a record store in the back. I really kick a** there.

And I always did good in Greensbough

Nice Price Books, maybe? Stumbled across it today. Good lookin out.

Will check out Greensborough.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I just moved to the area, and am wondering what the local spots are. Any leads would be much appreciated!

Less than two weeks and I'll be there too. I'm returning after a +5 year hiatus. Please, no 's!

you guys don't understand, there is a very delicate balance here that enables marco and i to get good records... competition would create a disturbance in the force

you guys don't understand, there is a very delicate balance here that enables marco and i to get good records... competition would create a disturbance in the force

Exactly. The only way for this to be remedied is if...

1) We have a big Soulstrut NC record swap get-together with beer where DigDug and I have a chance to cop some of the records you swiped from under our noses

and

2) Ya'll support these club nights and tip the DJ heavily:

http://www.myspace.com/federalsoul
    http://www.myspace.com/thehoneymachine
    http://www.myspace.com/solidsoundsystem
    http://www.myspace.com/mescalinaclub
    http://www.myspace.com/masalabeatclub

I'd post a smiley face but this is serious biz.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I knew this girl who went by the name of Baby D down in Cary, NC. She used to hook me up with records from the shop she worked in. Wish I could remember its name.

I knew this girl who went by the name of Baby D down in Cary, NC. She used to hook me up with records from the shop she worked in. Wish I could remember its name.

Damn, I'm having a hard time remembering the name of a record store that I used to frequent in Cary. I believe it closed down in 2001. I remember them having multiples of unplayed, unraer-but-quality 45's like Pigmeat, Paul H. & Cool-Aid Chemists, and so on. When they were having their going out of business clearance, I bought extras of that stuff for pretty cheap. I think the owner said they were putting their records in storage, and moving to Virginia.

As far as the digger balance, I may be too busy working to dig like I did when I was in college. Marco, I think I've supported your DJ nights as early as 01/02 at Henry's Bistro. If you continue to bring records to sell at your gigs, I'll continue to stop by . Actually, my wife and I are subletting a loft in downtown Durham until we find a home to purchase. When that happens, my records will be on a moving truck coming from the West Coast. NC strutter meet ups are a must. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I'm from Durham-Chapel Hill and always come up upon visiting. Just be resourceful, records are everywhere and nowhere at once, patience / persistence as dudes said..

I'm trying to pry a collection out of an older dude's palms when I get back...

Yall hit up the Sunrise biscuit kitchen for me.....

Yall hit up the Sunrise biscuit kitchen for me.....

[arteries]I did when I went back for a conference in June! One country-ham biscuit and one honey biscuit. This is something I can not be doing on the regular.[/arteries]

i'm very excited to go back to NC as a full-on omnivore. i lived there as a vegetarian for a long time (i know i know i give it the now myself) but now it's time to really get down with some good old fashioned north carolina barbecue. i can't fuckin wait. not trying to threadjack, sorry, but are there any BBQ spots i should look for in the south (charlotte area) while i'm looking for records?

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    i'm very excited to go back to NC as a full-on omnivore. i lived there as a vegetarian for a long time (i know i know i give it the now myself) but now it's time to really get down with some good old fashioned north carolina barbecue. i can't fuckin wait. not trying to threadjack, sorry, but are there any BBQ spots i should look for in the south (charlotte area) while i'm looking for records?

you need to get down east... that's where the bbq's at... in the west they have that red, long cut shit (lexington style or something like that?), not the vinegar-based, chopped shit... there's some spots in the triangle, but i swear they aren't fucking with b's in greenville or pete's in ayden

actually, i'll take that back... allen & sons in durham (on old 86, i think?) is fucking with anything else out there, and it's a lot closer to charlotte

man it's been forever since I've been out there. i lived in charlotte for years but i am having a hard time remembering how far away shit is. raleigh/durham/c-hill if i remember was a couple hours from charlotte, g-boro only about 45 mins to an hour, g-ville more like 4 or 5 hours. that about right? i WILL eat some good BBQ and i WILL find at least 2 dope records out there. promise.

• you guys don't understand, there is a very delicate balance here that enables marco and i to get good records... competition would create a disturbance in the force

Exactly. The only way for this to be remedied is if...

Along with phono 13, I'd estimate the probability that I'll upset the digger balance as low. But I'd second (or third)the NC strutter get togethers. And I'll hit the Federal the next time you're spinning--it's just around the corner from me and I'd mentally bookmarked it as something I wanted to check out when we were planning our move out here.

• Actually, my wife and I are subletting a loft in downtown Durham until we find a home to purchase.

Where at? We're at 610 W Morgan for the next few months at least.

Actually, my wife and I are subletting a loft in downtown Durham until we find a home to purchase.

Where at? We're at 610 W Morgan for the next few months at least.

We are on Main St. I think we're close to the ballpark. The loft is a converted department store. We'll have to meet up at Federal sometime. Last time I was in town, I went and checked out Marco's night, had some beers, bought some 45s, and had a good ol' time.

• mooneymooney 48 Posts
    Phono, welcome back my man. Please say hello to wifey for me, and be sure to drop me a line. I sold out and now I have a day job in downtown Durham, so let's link up for lunch sometime when your in the hood.

DigDug & Mooney & Phono & Murakami & any other NC folks:

It's Cowbwoy's birthday so we're crazy with 60s-70s based vinyl-only gigs next week with two out of town guests:

HONEY MACHINE
    WEDNESDAY @ TALULLA'S, CHAPEL HILL
    DJ Marco

FEDERAL SOUL
    THURSDAY @ FEDERAL, DURHAM
    Eric Colin (ModChicago)
    DJ Marco
    Midnite Cowbwoy

COWBWOY'S B-DAY
    FRIDAY @ ALIBI, RALEIGH
    Eric Colin (ModChicago)
    Phil Templar (NYC)