how do you open your dj set?

crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
edited February 2016 in DJ Talk / Mixes
so i was just thinking about how whenever you start a dj night, you are setting a mood and vibe, not only testing out the crowd and the equipment out but setting a foundation to build on for the rest of the night. what songs do you like to start out with?a couple of mine are Bambaata "Jazzy Sensation" and Harlequin 4's or Strafe "Set it Off".
TAGGED:

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Lately I have been leading off Saturday nights with 'Hot Fun in the Summertime' or 'Summer' by War(only if we start early enough--that one can be a bit too mellow). Then maybe some Maze before getting into the more insistent dance and hip hop. The 45rpm red vinyl 12" of 'Strawberry Letter 23' is a nice early number too!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    coldplay

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    Lately I have been leading off Saturday nights with 'Hot Fun in the Summertime' or 'Summer' by War(only if we start early enough--that one can be a bit too mellow). Then maybe some Maze before getting into the more insistent dance and hip hop. The 45rpm red vinyl 12" of 'Strawberry Letter 23' is a nice early number too!

i too love busting out the seasonal jams. Shirley Lites "Heat you up", Vicky Sue Robinson "hot summer nights"...even the crazy 12" mix of Power Station "some like it hot". and of course bananarama "cruel summer".

and dude...the third song i played the other night was the "strawberry letter 23" 12"! which led into Barry White's "it's ecstasy when you lay down next to me".

very funny with the coldplay johnny

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    At a hip-hop club I start off with AC/DC, The Smiths and Nirvana. Then I scream on the crowd and tell them they don't know shit if they are not feelin' the music.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    At a hip-hop club I start off with AC/DC, The Smiths and Nirvana. Then I scream on the crowd and tell them they don't know shit if they are not feelin' the music.

Comedy! Microwave d.j. lol

I like to start off with some Betty Wright "clean up woman" or "tonight is the night".

and of course bananarama "cruel summer".

I LOVE that song, 'specially the 12" version....loud as hell!

• once i played the dub of Tom Tom Club - Man With The 4-Way Hips it was a good way for the real dancers to identify themselves while keeping a chill early vibe

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    During the summer, i try to start off with The Zombies "summertime" and with other nights it just veers like this wednesday i started off with Ultimate Spinach "Ballad of the Hip death goddess".

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    pyrotechnics and the talking heads crosseyed and painless...

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Depends on what music it's gonna be, if i play soulmusic i often open with steppers or more midtempo stuff and then accelerate, if i play more electronic dance music and such i often open with something catchy yet a bit more mellow..

Some "openers" that have been favourites this year from different kinds of gigs:

LR Superstars "i just can't say it"
    Asso "don't stop"
    Randy Brown "are you lonely?"
    Lime "angel eyes" (Inst dub)
    David Ruffin "slow dance"
    Loui$ "pink footpath"
    Nexus "stand up" (inst.)

/L

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    almost always open with "moment of truth" by earth, wind and fire.
    peace, stein. . .

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I use Help is on the Way a lot becuase I know it so well--it's perfect for getting the levels right and slowly building up the volume. But it really depends on the gig and what was played before me.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Saturdays opening 3 were -

Truth - 'Excedrin Headache #24'
    Randy Maverick - 'Pure love'
    Maggie Thrett - 'Soupy'

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ice Cube - What Can I Do (West Coast version)

• beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
    a cold glass of coca-cola and IRON LEG by mickey & soul msgres. usually works nice.

• Roger & The Gypsies - Pass the Hatchet

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tonight's The Night - RedMan

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts

This is not fake at all! Premier is maad fake! Beats for X-tina and Coca Cola??

listen & download @ http://www.cokedjculture.com

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Friday night a friend from college suggested I start w/"Beastie Boys known to let the beat... mmm...drrropp!.." and then drop something. and although I didn't bring Licensed to Ill with me, the other DJ did and let me borrow it.
    So I did that (forgot about the mega bass drop) and then hit the crowd with "Get It Together f/Q-Tip"
    worked pretty well.

(I played Jazzy Sensation & Set It Off later )

• couple of my fave 'warmers'...

Silvia Striplin-Can't Turn Me Away
    Chocolate Milk- Actions Speak Louder Than Words
    Billy Garner-Super Duper Love
    Janet, Jay Dilla and Q-Tip- Joni Mitchell jernt
    Stevie- Hey Love (more of a closer these days)
    Choklate- Waitin'
    E-40- Hope I don't Go Back (whole damn yay blend)
    The Coup- My Car Is Better Than Your Shoes

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Lately, I've been feelin' DJ Quik & Suga Free "Do I Love Her?"

But a quick cut and paste from one of my favorite threads reveals this priceless gem from the one edpowers:

fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

then transform scratch into whatever song you choose to play..

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

But a quick cut and paste from one of my favorite threads reveals this priceless gem from the one edpowers:

fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

When I read the title of this thread this exact post came to mind.

CLASSIC!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    usually by asking someone to go tell the bartender to cut the jukebox....

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    coldplay

HELL'S YEAH!!

that reminds me. has anyone seen someone putting cash into a jukebox while you are DJing?

that reminds me. has anyone seen someone putting cash into a jukebox while you are DJing?

The first time I did Wonderland after they got that CD Jukebox upstairs....someone was loading it up with a bill while I was setting up....I think they were pissed when I started!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

yes, happens all the time at this one little bar shingaling and I DJ....there is a wall between the bar and the space where we are set up...we can come in, set up and get rolling without half the bar even seeing us, so I guess they still think the jukebox is still going while we are playing. I wonder if they get peeved that their Johnny Cash song never comes up...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

When I read the title of this thread this exact post came to mind.

Ditto. This post = classic.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

This is not fake at all! Premier is maad fake! Beats for X-tina and Coca Cola??

listen & download @ http://www.cokedjculture.com

Best fake account ever.