Best and Worst radio edits

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I think I like some of the early ODB radio versions better than the dirty versions. Shame on a Nuuuh!Gangstarr - Gotta get Over Remix is the worst. completely ruins the song. is there an unedited version floating around? if not, i might have to make a re edit w/ the instrumental and regular versions cutting in. I also really hate the one for Common Sense & Y Not "Can I Bust"

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I think the clean version of "My Minds Playin' Tricks on Me," is far superior; too much swearing messes up their cadence.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think the clean version of "My Minds Playin' Tricks on Me," is far superior; too much swearing messes up their cadence.

Plus, it has the cool "yo, this is for the radio?" bit at the beginning.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I like the Back Like That radio edit better than the version on Fishscale. "get'cha man back like that" just comes off better than "get a nigga back like that"...

That's the first thing that came to mind. I was just listening to a promo copy of the X-ecutioners Built From Scratch though... and I realize that I hate hearing reversed words in cuts and scratches. Just throws off the whole rhythm and cadence of the cuts.

Censored DJ cuts =

• all the shit from the chronic! I like the radio edits better. And that lil kim joint No Time. And that cash money joint Project Chick sounded better too.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    All the Wu things off 36 chambers- the kung fu sound effects, that compressed ass electric guitar stab thing on 'protect ya neck'..

It seems like they were the first to simply play the word backwards, which beat the previous choices of a bleep or silence.

Also: I may prefer the clean version of Slim Thug's "like a boss", mostly cause I'm white and 'who's the boss n*gga?' over and over again just doesn't suit me.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Pretty much any Wu related single in the '90s were ill.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    that compressed ass electric guitar stab thing on 'protect ya neck'..

yeah that actually made the song better i agree.

Also Young Lay, Ray Luv & Mac Mall's All About my Fedi was doper on the radio edit. some gratutitous, stupid-sounding swearing in the OG.

all the shit from the chronic!

really? I could never get used to the Gin and Juice edit...

Luckily, Gin & Juice wasn't on the Chronic.

Luckily, Gin & Juice wasn't on the Chronic.

right I meant Let me Ride.

anyway Chronic 2000 was WAY better.

i actually bought a radio edit of camron's new joint b/c y'all said it wasn't all that and the radio jawn was $1.99 (!). yeah, I won't be copping the original...decent album but the radio edit holds up just fine.

• [

anyway Chronic 2000 was WAY better.

/

wow now there's a post I could turn into a five pager

c'mon guys let's do it: Chronic v. 2000!!!

Just kidding. dumb argument.

Chronic >>>>>> Chronic 2000

• I like the Gold Digger radio edit better cause i don't say the "N"

• awallawall 673 Posts
    I like the Gold Digger radio edit better cause i don't say the "N"
    but do you say "white girl"?

i always liked the radio edit of the remix of "da art of storytelling" off aquemini, slick rick's verses comes off a little more tasteful.

radio version of schooly d "saturday night" is cool even if the cheeba cheeba verse is excluded. although he does get away with the other f word

and to keep things current i was really dissappointed when i heard the album version of "what you know about that" without the "EY OHH!"s

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I like the radio edit that is on the Payback 45--with the shout-outs.

I can't fuck with the censorship edits.

They don't fuck, they sleep together.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Forget Compton..........

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I really don't like Bustas Gimme some more edit - he just punches in the clean words and it sounds so awkward. Best edit evar is that Beatminerz 12" with Flipmode Squad - the noises are twice as loud as the beat AND the lyrics combined. "And all my SSSSSHHHHHCWPOW!!!!!! getting grimey with us..."

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    first off - isn't it chronic 2001? i actually dig that more than the old one these days. you can only listen to chronic or doggystyle for so many years before it starts sounding a little old. 2001 is much more relevant to the times right now. but that's another thread.

as for radio edits:

I can't stand them most of the time (and since when are fools shook about hearing cuzsswords and the n word in songs? sheesh. this IS rap music). Some more recent radio edits off the top:

Geto Boys - Yes Yes Yall - horrible horrible edit with silence in place of at least 1/3 of the song. I don't know why they even bothered with this one, you cannot understand anybody's verse or even lines for most of the song due ot how much they cut out. Dumb. Would have loved a dirty acapella of this one.

Busta Rhymes - I Love My Chick - man that's just a little too:

for me. Yes I would rather hear his lady called a Bitch, damnit. I think vulgarity is a staple of hip hop.

I thought all of the old dre and snoop radio edits were annoying because i was too used to the album versions.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    One of my least favorites is the clean version of Biggie's "The What." There's just so many things bleeped out, the song sounds ridiculous:

"I used to get feels on a [edit]
    Now I throw shields on the [edit]
    To stop me from that HIV [edit]"

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    and ten crack commandments, horrible radio edit.

One of my least favorites is the clean version of Biggie's "The What." There's just so many things bleeped out, the song sounds ridiculous:

I love this schitt. All the little "heys!" are fresh on that. But I can see how it may interfere with some people's enjoyment of it.

2001 is much more relevant to the times right now.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Disagree strongly.

My favorite line in that whole song is:

"Made a left at the Popeye's and bailed out quick."

On the radio edit, his cadence is off on that line.

I like the radio edit on Cocoa Brovaz "Super Brooklyn" because they just add in additional Mario sounds.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    best

lil kim - big momma thing

great beat & jay-z verse but the og is too vulgar for my taste.

worst

oochie wally (no nas version)

the curses are replaced with dog barks, annoying ones.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I never liked that "better yet" chorus on the "Cash Money Is a Army" edit.

But I do like the edited "U & Dat" better than the album version.

But one of the worst editing jobs ever has to be what they did to Keak's verse from "Tell Me When to Go". I bet the censor barely knew what he was editing, if at all.

• djcommiedjcommie 31 Posts

i dunno if anyone's heard Ghostface's "My Guitar" or the radio edit, but there's one verse that's pretty awesome.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Not radio-edit related, but radio related: I always thought it was cool how TROY had one version, and it was clean..kinda like they knew they had a classic and they crafted it so it could play without restriction.

Also: Jiggaman's "Dead Presidents" and Lord Finesse's "strictly for the ladies" both of which had new clean verses. Any others like that? that's all I got off top..

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    BDP-Love's Gonna Getcha

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Not radio-edit related, but radio related: I always thought it was cool how TROY had one version, and it was clean..kinda like they knew they had a classic and they crafted it so it could play without restriction.
    I think CL kind of held himself on a higher moral plane regarding vocabulary in general. not to many curses on the whole lp. the thing is, i can't resite any cl smooth verse unless the song is playing. that's a symptom of aintreallysayinshitatosis.