Record player in your office. bold or stupid?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Im serioulsy thinking about bringing a record player into work to put in my new office. I dont share it with anyone, so no problems with bothering others with noise. Is this acceptable offcie behaviour? Anyone else every bring thier records to work to listen to in their office? Record store clerks excluded of course.

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    If I had room in my office and a stereo system to hook it into I would definitely do it. Why not? People listen to music on their computers and radios in their offices all the time. Just be ready to talk about it every time somebody new walks in to your office. "Whoa they still make those?"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Depending on where you work, turning your office into a lounge can be a really bad look.

Unless you are an acedemic or working a really lax environment, I would not suggest it.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I rocked a portable w/headphones in my office for a while, but then my company moved to an all cubicle building, so I stopped because of the needle noise. I miss it for new arrivals listening and BPMing.

It's definitely a bold move so I'd be careful. I guess it depends on your office environment.

• down_beatdown_beat 57 Posts
    Me and a mate used to have one under the desk when we worked together at a wine shop. I did no work. But I don't think it was the turntable's fault.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Lax office environment. Ive just also found out that I wont have any neighbors on either side of me....I think Im gonna do it. Ive been here long enough that it shouldnt get me fired. Maybe be my only chance, why not take it. Pics when project is complete.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Why don't you just run it by your boss first if you're worried about getting fired?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I rocked a portable w/headphones in my office for a while,

every time somebody new walks in to your office = "Whoa they still make those?"

sooo true. And of course there're always be the middleaged funny guy that'll gesture the air scratch and ask the dreaded "hey on that thing can you do the chivva chivva chivva."

And I really don't think it's good for productvity as you have to flip the thing every 12 to 20 minutes thereby breaking any work-related momentum you may have had. Once I won a lot of 10 45s and had them delivered to work. 45s & work definitely don't mix.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I rocked a portable w/headphones in my office for a while,

every time somebody new walks in to your office = "Whoa they still make those?"

sooo true. And of course there're always be the middleaged funny guy that'll gesture the air scratch and ask the dreaded "hey on that thing can you do the chivva chivva chivva."

And I really don't think it's good for productvity as you have to flip the thing every 12 to 20 minutes thereby breaking any work-related momentum you may have had. Once I won a lot of 10 45s and had them delivered to work. 45s & work definitely don't mix.

If you can find a spot where the record player will be out of the way and you don't have records all over the work environment, it should be fine. I had a Vestax on a low shelf behind my desk for two years and I can count on one hand the number of people that actually noticed.

Discretion.
    JRoot

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I have a soungburger I keep in my office hooked into my computer with imic. sometimes folls think I'm just fucking around listening to records with all the flipping, so when things are hectic, I just rock itunes on shuffle.....

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i bring in my ipod and speakers everyday.
    gets the job done.

• I got one of those 4 in 1 units at my cube. It's got a radio, 3 cd changer, tape deck and the record player on the top! and you can close the lid on it to hide the needle noise. BUT remember not to leave the thing on for a whole fucking weekend cause when you come back on monday you only be able to play 45's.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I'd rather just burn some vinyl to MP3 and email it to myself. Vinyl stays safely at home and no need to worry what the boss thinks. Course my boss got me my own office partly so he wouldn't have to listen to my music anymore. Haha!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I keep one in one of my bottom drawers. Whenever I get a 45, I bring it out and put it in a location that most people can't find.

Nobody really notice that I have a portable and I ain't mad!

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    It really depends on your office. If you have a cubicle, then no. A nice private office, then yes.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    When I was working in offices (dotcom boom) people had all kinds of stupid shit at their desk/cubicles/etc. What a hoax all that stupid self-expression was. Star Wars lego figures, Rennie Faire chain mail gloves. I should've spent every day pulling a wake and bake on the 405/10 Freeway while driving to work. Would've just blended in with those freaks. No wonder that shit imploded so fast. People riding around the office on scooters and shooting nerf guns. Fucking amatuer hour. Don't get me started on the chick who basically worked at a shrine to DMB and USC, two things I don't really care for. Looked like a goddam dorm room with all that trash.

Ain't nothing wrong with a record player, though. Except flipping that shit, like some people have mentioned. I usually fall back on the convenience of MP3s, even at home. Keep it discreet, though, or it will look like the cry for attention that all my former dotcommers seemed to long for.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    This is an awesome idea and I would love to be able to do that when I finish my degree and join the workforce.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    This is neither bold or stupid .....it is Corny & Nerdtastic

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It depends on the work environment. I have a record player at work and get a lot of my listening done there, but I don't make it a habit to be a DJ... constantly flipping around. I'll play a record or two a day as non-chalantly as a trip to the water cooler or a bathroom visit. Needle noise is a problem if you have neighbors (80s hip hop records can get loud.) If you are worried about keeping a job, I say don't risk it.