Clean versions!?

JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I got a Geto Boys 12" today with "I Ain't Bein Broke" & a clean versionof "My Minds Playin..." on the flip.It's amazing how uncomfitable they sound when not saying "fuck" etc. ... Show & Ag's clean vers of "I Like My..." is great aswell; "Ho's smile to me on the escalater"!Bla bla.. I'm bored and hope someone cares...

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The Wu-Tang Clan were great in their clean edits, with "Brooklyn Zoo" being one of THE best ones, along with "Shame On A Nuh", "Bring The Pain", "Release Yo Delf" (a thud sound replaces the word "dick"), "Daytona 500". The RZA had a way with cleaning it up with sound effects.

Same can be said for how DJ Premier did it, man was a genius in that respect.

I liked it when artists DID make an effort to clean it up, a lot of times the clean version was better lyrically than the dirty one (a perfect example is the radio mix of "My Mind Playing Tricks On Me"). These days, it leaves nothing to the imagination. That might be the point, but if these guys are making money, it doesn't hurt to write another set of lyrics. Get creative, gunfunnit.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    uncomfitable

Huh??? If your saying the clean version of Mind Playin' is better I agree.

I think it kinda shows how wack a lot of current MC's are. If they were really good they could do a clean version, instead you get the stupid "half the damb song is bleeped out" version. Watching MTV and listening to the radio can be a joke when this stuff comes on. All the words are bleeped and any logo is blurred out.

The clean version of Dope Man by NWA is cool too, but I wouldn't call that one better, just cool.

The Wu-Tang Clan were great in their clean edits, with "Brooklyn Zoo" being one of THE best ones, along with "Shame On A Nuh", "Bring The Pain", "Release Yo Delf" (a thud sound replaces the word "dick"), "Daytona 500". The RZA had a way with cleaning it up with sound effects.

Man I'd forgot about that!!!! BDP was good at that too. Plus, the cuss words weren't everyother word so the sound effects came across as cool.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I liked it when artists DID make an effort to clean it up, a lot of times the clean version was better lyrically than the dirty one (a perfect example is the radio mix of "My Mind Playing Tricks On Me"). These days, it leaves nothing to the imagination. That might be the point, but if these guys are making money, it doesn't hurt to write another set of lyrics. Get creative, gunfunnit.

The clean version of six feet deep is better than I expected.

Man I'd forgot about that!!!! BDP was good at that too. Plus, the cuss words weren't everyother word so the sound effects came across as cool.

I was listening to a new mix CD by DJ Mafioso out of Atlanta, and he put on "Don't Curse". In the middle of all the hardcore stuff that was coming out, here was a song that was a sarcastic attempt at trying to do a clean song, with Grand Puba's infamous "kcuf". With that song, it dropped hints of what was dirty, and that's what made it funny.

Another clean version that doesn't get much attention is the Geto Boys' "Do It Like A G.O.". It was a different vocal track with a clean set of lyrics, so instead of the line, "naw, Dee. Man, fuck them ho's", it says "naw, Dee. Man, pop the trunk."

There was also a clean version of Eazy-E's first album, I remember buying the tape before I found the record, and wondered why it was so clean.

The clean version of six feet deep is better than I expected.

Yes, another great example.

The Wu did two different clean edits of "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin Ta F--- Wit", the version that's on the clean album (which is called "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin"), and the one that came out on 12". It's not just the lyrics in some spots, but Inspectah Deck has a completely different vocal track, and the mix between the two are very different (not unlike what he would later two with "Bring The Pain", where the version on The Great White Hype[/b] soundtrack featured more surprises than the regular Tical[/b] version).

• uncomfitable

I think it kinda shows how wack a lot of current MC's are. If they were really good they could do a clean version, instead you get the stupid "half the damb song is bleeped out" version. Watching MTV and listening to the radio can be a joke when this stuff comes on. All the words are bleeped and any logo is blurred out.

The clean version of Dope Man by NWA is cool too, but I wouldn't call that one better, just cool.

I never knew about or heard the Dopeman clean version

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    2 Live Crew's "as clean as they wanna be" is pretty hilarious.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Much Agreed....

I never picked that one up, but there are songs on it that aren't on the dirty version, correct?

uncomfitable

It's ont he 12" I have of Dopeman. Not sure if it's on all of them or not. Just like Mind Playin.....NWA went in and did new vocals so the curse words were out. It shows they don't have to cuss to be good.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I think snoop in his prime was the master of this.

he would totally clean the song up, but it would still be gangster as hell. and it made the real version that much more special.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    I don't know if MMPT is better clean, I think they sound a bit frustrated when they can't say fuck

That 2Live sounds nice. Are the woman all dressed up on the sleeve then? lol

The clean version is on the NWA E.P. or single whatever you want to call it but it has 3 different songs + 2 Radio Edits of 8-Ball and Dopeman. It goes for like 30 on ebay.

Damb I have 2 of those. Never bother to figure out what the deal was. Did this come out before the Straigth Out Of Compton LP???

• uncomfitable

The clean version is on the NWA E.P. or single whatever you want to call it but it has 3 different songs + 2 Radio Edits of 8-Ball and Dopeman. It goes for like 30 on ebay.

no shit? I have that..but I thought it was the dirty version. I use the version off of Ruthless Greatest Hits because its mint. I do love that EP/single though..i wore a dub of it out when I was a kid.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Definitely the clean versions of "Gangsta Gangsta" and "Straight Outta Compton" were worth listening to, if only to laugh at how less hardcore it sounds to say

"I'm the type of brotha that's built to last, yah have some in the present, some in the past"

than

"I'm the type of nigga that's built to last, fuck with me I'll put my foot in yo ass"

I thought it was cool that they did complete re-takes of them, tho, instead of bleepin' it out.

And co-sign on "Mind Playin' Tricks On Me," they came through with some better lyrics on that, like "5th Ward" being better than "motherfuckin'"

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I think snoop in his prime was the master of this.

he would totally clean the song up, but it would still be gangster as hell. and it made the real version that much more special.

I agree, and to take it a step further, I prefer the cleaned up songs off of the Chronic and Doggystyle. It was almost more inventive to keep it clean than saying suck nuts every other line.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I always preferred the clean radio/video version of "Dead Homiez" over the explicit one. It just seemed more sincere.

Herm

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Cosign to many mentioned. Some ones I thought of to add to the pot:

-Fakin The Funk clean is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better mix and song than OG

-Casual's video mix of "That's How It Is" took the Meters hi YAH from Cissy Strut and put it in the cuss parts. That shit was money!!!!!

-I think that Daytona track actually substituted sounds that were cogent to the lyrics that Ghostface was putting down (I might be wrong?) Anyway, dude put in work on that one...

-Don't Curse is a great posse cut!!!!!!

Peace
    T.N.

uncomfitable

no shit? I have that..but I thought it was the dirty version. I use the version off of Ruthless Greatest Hits because its mint. I do love that EP/single though..i wore a dub of it out when I was a kid.

The 12" single and the EP have this same cover. The EP has the dirty version. I have both. The 12" has dirty and clean plus another song. I'll check tonight.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    any logo is blurred out.
    why is this? Don't these companies want free advertising?

• Options

Did you ever hear that Screwball song "F.A.Y.B.A.N." (fuck all y'all bitch ass niggas)? The clean version was INSANE, full of Primo cuts throughout. Blew away the dirty one.

This is the one pictured above:

Nice! That's the 12" with the clean version of Dope Man and 8- Ball. The other one (same cover) is pretty much a full LP, it just has some other artists songs on it like Arabian Prince.

• Options
    Rawhide.I don't even think I've heard the one without the horse froths and birds.