What Expensive Records were worth your money?

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
For me, so far in my short record-collecting career, I need to buy more raers!!!What record was money well spent?

Comments

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    45: The US "Lets Do It Today (Procrastination)"

it was my #1 fave funk track (still is i think) and having the original was worth stupid cash for me.

• olskoololskool 77 Posts

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    If this is your taste then these are basically good tracks all through. Not classics for no reason.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

and

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    45: The US "Lets Do It Today (Procrastination)"

it was my #1 fave funk track (still is i think) and having the original was worth stupid cash for me.

incredible track.

• My favorite high $$$ LP.

And my favorite high $$$ 45.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1st record I spent $100 on, worth every penny.

Recently got this and is also worth the dough. Would put it up there as one of the greatest Soul songs I've heard.

This is the only other big money record I've got in the last couple years that I paid for. While it's not the first record I would think of when pulling stuff from the stacks, I think it's pretty damn good from beginning to end.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I can listen to this album from start to finish and it never gets old.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    GHETTO BROTHERS

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

• This is the only record I've ever spent more than $40 on (not counting stuff I bought to resell). I just made some nice money on another record and decided to splurge (although I think $118 was a decent price for this).

• Woah. I've never seen or read about that one. Can you say a few words about it? I like his album "Supernatural".

• 1st record I spent $100 on, worth every penny.

Being on Invictus, why does "Osmium" fetch so much? Seems there would be a few out there. It is a fantastic album for sure.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Gene -

Birdsong Supernatural is tight, similar to his other stuff... a bit harder to find on a Philly indie label. I really like one of the tunes, something about moonlight or whatever.

Osmium is rare. Whether or not a label is big has nothing to do with it, there are rare records on A&M and Columbia and shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    GHETTO BROTHERS

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

Woah. I've never seen or read about that one. Can you say a few words about it? I like his album "Supernatural".

Yeah this has been released on Bam-Boo in 1975. All other Birdsong Lps are nice but I think 'Dance Of Survival' is his best work. I can listen to this from beginning to end again and again. It's hard to describe the sound of this album, maybe 'spiritual and spaced out' , LOL. Here is the title track so you see what I mean:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=63AC829133C0CD41

Here is the tracklisting:

1. Dance Of Survival
    2. Possessed (Take The Evil Spirits Away)
    3. Something Ain't Right (Gotta Go Home)
    4. What's Your Sign?
    5. Night Of The Full Moon
    6. Your Smile Gave Birth To My Idea
    7. Astral Walk (Instrumental)

This LP has already been reissued if you don't want to spend too much money!

• Another one of my expensive favorites.

And the greatest funk LP of all time! (at least in my book)

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    PUDDIN

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    these are the only 2 LPs I can think of that I've spent $100 or more on, and both were definitely worth it.

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    I bought Osmium about 8 years ago for $75, which was twice as much as I'd ever spent on a record before. Definitely spent more on a record since, but never regretted it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think the better question might be which expensive records were NOT worth the money (speaking from personal experience vs. commenting on the state of overpriced albums in general).

There's a few fusion-y jazz albums - one-trackers - that I wish I had been more judiciuos in leaping at (*cough cough* Halpern). But I've never regretted putting down some chingo bling for a soul album.

A few pieces that I think were well worth $100+

Pi R Square: Fantasy
    Freedom: Sunshine
    Darondo: Didn't I
    Mike James Kirkland: Hang On In There
    Ruby Andrews: Black Ruby
    Sarah Webster Fabio: Juju Songs
    et. al.

Going back to my first point, I'd love to know what would be an album that Reynaldo wishes he hadn't balled so heavy on .

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I regret spending $5 on Eric Mercury's "Electric Black Man".

• beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
    I DONT WANT YOUR LOVING...barbara howard (cincinnati 45)

• slushslush 691 Posts
    fuck that ill ride for eric mercury

today i am thinking about spending 40 dollars on Ruthann Friedman and it will be worth it (40 is definitely my upper limit)

What's expensive? $35-50 eagles $50-75 eagles $75-100 eagles?
    What's the median number?
    Ballers are doing $500 eagles, I would think. Or way more.
    JP, what as a dealer makes you say

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    (record value)/(monthly income) >= 20 % >>>>>> expensive record

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    A few pieces that I think were well worth $100+

Pi R Square: Fantasy

really?

I totally regret trading a hundred plus dollar 45 for that one years back.

it's really good, but...

copies everywhere means it's now worth about $20.

do friends and records mix?

sometimes I wonder.

---

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What's expensive? $35-50 eagles $50-75 eagles $75-100 eagles?
    What's the median number?
    Ballers are doing $500 eagles, I would think. Or way more.
    JP, what as a dealer makes you say

When I can get $500 or better I am pretty stoked.

I think most customers are not comfortable spending more than $100 on one record.

Even some who appear as "ballers" online, in person, are a bit shy to pull the trigger...

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    sam suffy---worth every penny---even for the hippos that drive my girl crazy
    mulatu---just a unique record beginning to end---nothing else like it either

When I can get $500 or better I am pretty stoked.