What Expensive Records were worth your money?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Even some who appear as "ballers" online, in person, are a bit shy to pull the trigger...

HOT

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I can listen to this album from start to finish and it never gets old.

Me too.

Also my copies of Weldon Irvine - Liberated Brother and Dee Felice Trio never get tired.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    A few pieces that I think were well worth $100+

Pi R Square: Fantasy

really?

I totally regret trading a hundred plus dollar 45 for that one years back.

it's really good, but...

copies everywhere means it's now worth about $20.

do friends and records mix?

sometimes I wonder.

---

Copped Pi-R-Square at TSL for $20 in may.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    ahhh, when quantity goes wrong

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts

This is the only other big money record I've got in the last couple years that I paid for. While it's not the first record I would think of when pulling stuff from the stacks, I think it's pretty damn good from beginning to end.

how much did you pay for the string beat record?

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

i love having people to talk about music with but when selling and trading shit can get weird, there have been times i feel like an ass for selling things to friends for ebay prices and then they come up on the same record in a dollar bin

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts

selling/trading things to friends for ebay/collector prices and then they come up on the same record in a dollar bin

in the same day. had it happen once from me as a trader, and once when copping----what a weird coincidence. I felt, I dunno, ashamed? Like I was trying to rip off my homie or something with a dollar bin record even though it was a total fluke

ahhh, when quantity goes wrong

Was there a time when Larry T was going for more than $1-200? It seems to hold a pretty solid price even though it seems so readily available, which I guess is a testament to how great it is.

• Options

K in Canada.

Was there a time when Larry T was going for more than $1-200? It seems to hold a pretty solid price even though it seems so readily available, which I guess is a testament to how great it is.

http://popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?p...d=adate&thumbs=

• private fetish

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Not big bucks, but here are two that come to mind:

and

thanks to Good Records NYC

I didn't pay anywhere close to "market value" for this, but for the musical content and artwork it's worth having IMO:

hahaha! damn.

I think it's a record that will continue to be in demand for a long time though.

indeed; it's a beautiful record.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    labi siffre-remember my song

bought this for "i got the" which i think is a mind melting track.but upon listening to it more and more me and the old lady agree that the song "another year" will be the the last song at our wedding.

also

leo's sunship-we need each other

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    24K Black
    DR Hooker
    Webster Lewis
    Del Jones
    Realheadz knoweth the deal
    Suns/daughterslite
    Hambone Neckjaw
    Musty Fragrance Ensemble
    PR Opportunity
    Flippy Spinhauser III
    Funk Records

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

is that "he's coming" lurking underneath?

i never regretted paying "market rate" on stark reality
    i was cool with paying $100 for a sealed Del Jones a long time ago. (passed it on to the heatrock auction)
    i would spend $150 on latee's brainstorm in a second

the 3 times ive been to Good records i get a $50 to $75 joint that Johhnny Pringles recommends and it is always worth it.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Hambone Neckjaw
    Musty Fragrance Ensemble
    PR Opportunity
    Flippy Spinhauser III
    Funk Records

definitely all worth the money.
    Musty Fragrance Ensemble was a burlington group, right?

• Options
    It's NAte's band.

K.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

i have NEVER dropped that much dough on one record. but i felt like splurging after selling a handful of records that were each of equal value.

• Options
    you can't get everything on the cheap.

K.

• The Frank Cunimondo Trio - Sagittarius

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    you can't get everything on the cheap.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1st record I spent $100 on, worth every penny.

Being on Invictus, why does "Osmium" fetch so much? Seems there would be a few out there. It is a fantastic album for sure.

Someone is probably much better qualified to answer this question than me, but the impression I got was that this record just basically never sold when it first came out. Parliamentfunkadelic was just too out there. Hence the rarity.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

This is the only other big money record I've got in the last couple years that I paid for. While it's not the first record I would think of when pulling stuff from the stacks, I think it's pretty damn good from beginning to end.

how much did you pay for the string beat record?

Not at home right now so can't be specific, but I believe I got it for around $85 on ebay, plus shipping + handling from Europe to the U.S.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

is that "he's coming" lurking underneath?

yup, from the same estate sale. good eye.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

I paid a fair bit for this (by my standards, anyway), but I love the track and I was grateful for the chance to finally get it. Thanks Pete.

I'd drop a stack (valuable trades AND cash) to get the Original Heads 12" I've been after for a minute (those that know what I need it for will understand my plight) - and I'd empty the joint piggy bank for that 'Back To The Lab' album.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

Even some who appear as "ballers" online, in person, are a bit shy to pull the trigger...

that is very true.

for instance, i wouldn't consider myself a baller, but the most i've ever spent on one record in person was $80 twice (nathan davis-if and meters-s/t)...but the most i've spent not in person for one record was $250 (torossi-feelings) something about all that paypal money makes you more willings to spend. when you have to actually go down to the bank and pick up the cash it makes you more reluctant to throw money around.

oh and i don't regret spending that money on all three, some of my favorite records in my collection. i think you only regret buying records when they are bad or you get ripped off with condition from ebay or something.

• Options

K in Canada.