new E-40 video

Comments

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    it's funny, 40 is finally getting some national shine at a time when he's making some of the worst music of his career.[/b]

you know what's funny is a bunch of folks who never were checking for 40 early on jumping on the bandwagon ever so quickly to jump right back off and start dissing the man.

Shit it ain't my favorite song but let the man live and respect it for what it is. Dude put out "Tell Me When To Go" and didn't really feast off it so.... he is trying to sell records. The fuck do you people want.

I am sure there is some dangermouse-ghostface collabo to get into if this isn't your thing

Johhny c'mon now, you know Rootless and I grew up in SF and have been listening to 40 since high school. I know you like to pick on him and all, but wrong dude to make an example of here. I get your point, but find someone who fits your profile. Damn.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    it's funny, 40 is finally getting some national shine at a time when he's making some of the worst music of his career.[/b]

you know what's funny is a bunch of folks who never were checking for 40 early on jumping on the bandwagon ever so quickly to jump right back off and start dissing the man.

Shit it ain't my favorite song but let the man live and respect it for what it is. Dude put out "Tell Me When To Go" and didn't really feast off it so.... he is trying to sell records. The fuck do you people want.

I am sure there is some dangermouse-ghostface collabo to get into if this isn't your thing

Johhny c'mon now, you know Rootless and I grew up in SF and have been listening to 40 since high school. I know you like to pick on him and all, but wrong dude to make an example of here. I get your point, but find someone who fits your profile. Damn.

Maybe rootless grew up in SF. Maybe he listened to E-40 in high school. But according to many of his posts, including the way he trashed San Quinn's album the other day, dude should just stop talking about current rap ASAP.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    pinner

Brigidope is killin' everything in this thread with skraight truthisisms.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Anna I don't think Rootless needs you to come to his defense and honestly I wasn't even talking strictly to or about him - but if the shoe fits as they say... as you can see I wrote "a bunch of folks". If you or he thinks I am being too harsh then perhaps you two should pow-wow and figure out how he can write less follish shit when he posts! lol.

I am not trying to pretend that I had eight copies of Mr. Flamboyant from the day it came out either... I am not scurred to say that I was a houser ass kid back then but like everyone in the Bay I enjoyed me some 40 too. I am happy for 40 doing well, I think he is making great music right now, and even though this song (as I said) is not my favorite

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    and that Dolphins hat in the video is SICK !! please to find for me 7 3/8

sayin', 40's new era game is on point. you see that bruins hat? I'v enever seen one of those. 7 3/8 for me as well, plaese.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

let me guess now, said hatteurs will next be telling me that the snap yo fingers song and video ain't tight? if that song is wack too then i think i like wack rap. i'm hyped for 40 to be on 3 videos on mtv/bet in the past couple months, and making it in the top ten over and over. if you're hatin' on that then you're just a hater. the man has been putting in work for so many years and he's barely gotten any major recognition. if they made a big deal out of some of the tracks on charlie hustle or even on grit n grind or breaking news yall would probably be hating the same way, even though those albums have some of his dopest songs in recent years.

further, when i first heard all of ghetto report card, i immiediately recognized that U & Dat belonged on the radio. The song is perfect for the radio. And it talks about monkeys and donkeys, fuck people, have you no loyalty to the humorous aspects of mainstream appeal??

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    pinner

Brigidope is killin' everything in this thread with skraight truthisisms.

MOTHERFUCKIN' SAYIN'!

HE'S BOB BANNISTER RE-INCARNATED!

ARCADIAN:

Didn't you do a thread about not liking "hyphy" a month ago?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Hatechecks, plaese to direct your comments about folks "who never were checking for 40 early on " to ANYONE but me. Thank you.

Maybe rootless grew up in SF. Maybe he listened to E-40 in high school. But according to many of his posts, including the way he trashed San Quinn's album the other day, dude should just stop talking about current rap ASAP.

Archaic, you are the only one on this board that's really feeling the San Quinn tape. Get over it.

Archaic, you are the only one on this board[/b] that's really feeling the San Quinn tape.

Right, I told your sister/guardian/co-host that I was not talking specifically about you, but hey... if the shoe fits... it's a moronic comment no matter how you slice it.

Right, I told your sister/guardian/co-host that I was not talking specifically about you, but hey... if the shoe fits... it's a moronic comment no matter how you slice it.

I can always count on Anna to intercept the family hate before I get around to it. She gets up earlier than me.

For your sake I'll try not to dis E-40 in the future. I clearly have no respect for the man.

And after all hyphy is - like Dipset - so much more than music. It's a movement.

my point was this - sure E-40 has made much more incredible records than this one. But none of those records would stand one chance of catching on outside of the Bay Area. We all love those records but 40 was going to have to make what some might call "the worst music of his career" in order to break out beyond the Bay. I for one am not mad at him at all and enjoy his "commercial" music just as much as his "underground" stuff.

my point was this - sure E-40 has made much more incredible records than this one. But none of those records would stand one chance of catching on outside of the Bay Area. We all love those records but 40 was going to have to make what some might call "the worst music of his career" in order to break out beyond the Bay. I for one am not mad at him at all and enjoy his "commercial" music just as much as his "underground" stuff.

You just lost me, Jonny...in that while 40's previous albums might not have gone platinum or even gold, they certainly did catch on beyond the Bay...everywhere but in the Northeast.

And while I do hear 40 dumbing-down his flow for Snap Yo Fingers, it's not really the case for even close to the full extent of Ghetto Report Card.

And something I didn't catch the first time was rootloss referring to Quinn's album as a tape[/b]...which further proves how out of touch someone could possibly be.

• I rented a car this weekend so had a chance to listen to this whole album in peace...My Ghetto Report Card has some serious spittery on there. I would have liked to hear more variety in production style, but it really does knock overall.

You just lost me, Jonny...in that while 40's previous albums might not have gone platinum or even gold, they certainly did catch on beyond the Bay...everywhere but in the Northeast.

I really think that's in your mind dude - the sales figures don't bare it out.

Yeah, you must be right. For instance, it's all in my mind that UGK remade Captain Save a Hoe. Soundscan says that Texas hates E-40, so it must be true. How could I have ever doubted their point-of-sale omnipotence?

And while I do hear 40 dumbing-down his flow for Snap Yo Fingers, it's not really the case for even close to the full extent of Ghetto Report Card.

And something I didn't catch the first time was rootloss referring to Quinn's album as a tape[/b]...which further proves how out of touch someone could possibly be.

tepid post parsing, reaching.

I will admit I do not have the vinyl release of San Quinn's album.

Or were you referring to my being out of touch with your ipod generation?

Sorry dude, let me rephrase: You are the only one on this board that is feeling San Quinn's new MP3[/b] collection.

I routinely refer to albums as tapes - no matter what media they happen to be on. But I guess I'm out of touch.

Yeah, you must be right. For instance, it's all in my mind that UGK remade Captain Save a Hoe. Soundscan says that Texas hates E-40, so it must be true. How could I have ever doubted their point-of-sale omnipotence?

Basically, yes - since a prominent group paid homage to him, in your mind he is large in the south. Based on sales figures and anecdotal evidence, in reality he is not.

I'm not saying nobody'd heard of him, nobody cared, he never sold a CD... but did he get played in the clubs? Did he get played on the radio? Comparitively to Southern artists?

The Bay Area artists have always done pretty well in the South, but we're talking about crossing over here. Don't go shifting the argument to make a point I was never contesting in the first place.

tepid post parsing, reaching.

I will admit I do not have the vinyl release of San Quinn's album.

Or were you referring to my being out of touch with your ipod generation?

Sorry dude, let me rephrase: You are the only one on this board that is feeling San Quinn's new MP3[/b] collection.

I routinely refer to albums as tapes - no matter what media they happen to be on. But I guess I'm out of touch.

You ever heard of compact discs?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Shied, nobody's denying that 40's albums have gone beyond the Bay in the past, but the point is that it's been awhile.

Sure, In a Major Way went platinum, but that was over a decade ago, and it's been eight years since anything he put out even went gold.

He's put out plenty of great music in the interim, but it's been largely ignored by the rest of the country. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Shied, nobody's denying that 40's albums have gone beyond the Bay in the past, but the point is that it's been awhile.

Sure, In a Major Way went platinum, but that was over a decade ago, and it's been eight years since anything he put out even went gold.

He's put out plenty of great music in the interim, but it's been largely ignored by the rest of the country. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

40 NOT BLACK ENOUGH?!?!?!??!

Basically, yes - since a prominent group paid homage to him, in your mind he is large in the south. Based on sales figures and anecdotal evidence, in reality he is not.

I'm not saying nobody'd heard of him, nobody cared, he never sold a CD... but did he get played in the clubs? Did he get played on the radio? Comparitively to Southern artists?

The Bay Area artists have always done pretty well in the South, but we're talking about crossing over here. Don't go shifting the argument to make a point I was never contesting in the first place.

Fine, I ain't even trying to argue with you. But telling me that some shit I've seen first hand was "all in my mind" is about as inaccurately condescending as it gets.

I know groups of people both in Texas and Atlanta that have been bumping 40 like the gospel since about '94, but I'll go ahead and give them all a call to let them know that they are only ghosts and holograms.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

I'm saying dude - I know groups of people who have been bumping E-40 since 1995 all over New York City. It doesn't mean he was successful in crossing over out here.

But if you're feeling condescended to, by all means, don't let me get in the way of that.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

I know groups of people both in Texas and Atlanta that have been bumping 40 like the gospel since about '94, but I'll go ahead and give them all a call to let them know that they are only ghosts and holograms.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

jesus, dude.

but did he get played in the clubs? Did he get played on the radio? Comparitively to Southern artists?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Johnny, up until recently I was the biggest fan of you and your many incarnations. You were usually amusing and on-point. Lately, you've been kind of dickish. Yeah, the big sister comes out here, but I see you do it to more than my bro, so it's not just overprotectiveness.

He's put out plenty of great music in the interim, but it's been largely ignored by the rest of the country. Sorry, but that's just how it is according to Soundscan[/b].

And that's why I insist that some of y'all are full of dogshit when it comes to tracing influence across the country and beyond. Y'all shit on first-hand personal experience in favor of short-sighted corporate crap at every turn. Aside from people like me telling you how it actually was/is, do you really think that UGK would remake a song if they didn't already know that their fan-base would eat it up with a spoon? You think Jive would have signed 40 for all of that money if they didn't already do the market research to know with confidence that he had platinum potential far beyond the Bay? Go ahead and ask a Bun B or a Lil Jon how much their locals have been into 40. Then you can call them liars too.

Y'all shit on first-hand personal experience in favor of short-sighted corporate crap

You think Jive would have signed 40 for all of that money if they didn't already do the market research?

but did he get played in the clubs? Did he get played on the radio? Comparitively to Southern artists?

Yes, moreso back in like '94-'95 than since but, yes.

Plus, since that's where your experience is, you put way too much on what is played in clubs.

Q: How many eager, block-defining rap listeners NEVER go to clubs?

A: Most of them.

Johnny, up until recently I was the biggest fan of you and your many incarnations. You were usually amusing and on-point. Lately, you've been kind of dickish. Yeah, the big sister comes out here, but I see you do it to more than my bro, so it's not just overprotectiveness.

Anna you've been sounding ass-hurt at me for a while, whether it's your man or your brother you've been out to protect... however they both seem perfectly capable of protecting their own posteriors.

If you think I'm more of a dick now than I've ever been in the past, you have missed the majority of my posts which are informed, thoughtful, and constructive... in favor of those that dig at people personally related to you.

I am sorry that my posts have led to chafing. Some baby powder or lotion should clear that right up!