brand new heavies - heavy rhyme exp. vol. 2

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Is it too late for them to attempt this??? I've been waiting over a decade already

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    What's killin you it's the "Vol. 1" in the title, right? Let it go, Cuts, it won't happen

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    When I was working in London I met Jan Kincaid through a friend. Really great guy that still buys lots of records. One time he came into the shop and I asked him about Vol 2. He didn't sound like it was ever gonna happen. I think he was way more pressed on them finding a gurl to front the group.

Edit:

"In April 2006, the Brand New Heavies reunited with N'Dea Davenport and former label Delicious Vinyl. A new album, Get Used to It will be released on 27 June 2006 via Starbucks and more traditional music retail outlets. The album was recorded in New York and London; and the lead single from it will be released in early May. Following the album's release, the band are scheduled to roll out a 25 city, nationwide tour, in July and August."

Hmmm... I did not know this.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is it too late for them to attempt this???

YES,It's a wrap. I never thought it deserved a #2.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    all I'm saying is they made this

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    It will be released on 27 June 2006 via Starbucks...

Damn tho, I've always thought Kool G killed it on Death Threat.

The lisp was all time great on that piece!

Know when to stop.

Damn tho, I've always thought Kool G killed it on Death Threat.

The lisp was all time great on that piece!

Lightning in a bottle.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

AND they are on Myspace. Why would an established band want to be on myspace? Desperation.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts

AND they are on Myspace. Why would an established band want to be on myspace? Desperation.

Nah, pretty much everyone's on Myspace now, established acts and all. If it's good enough for Ennio Morricone, Neil Young and Arvo Part, then it damn well better be good enough for the Brand New Heavies.

Co-sign on "Death Threat", by the way. I could pretty much take or leave the rest of the album, but "Death Threat" was the shit.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    If it's good enough for Ennio Morricone,

Does he post his beats over there?

Many established bands are using myspace. It's become a major promo tool like it or not.

And I don't get the hate directed towards starbucks.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I don't hate, I'm prepared to live a fully branded life.

I don't hate, I'm prepared to live a fully branded life.

Possibly with a BNH or Starbucks tattoo??? I might flip the bill for it!

that album has some great tracks...

main source - bonafied funk
    gang starr - it's gettin hectic
    grand puba - who makes the loot
    masta ace - wake me when I'm dead
    black sheep - state of yo
    pharcyde - soul flower

It's funny about the starbucks hate...yea they are corporate but something's gotta be said about getting a good cup of joe from friendly help. I'm just jealous because there isn't a good coffee shop in a 20 mile radius of my house.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Starbucks apologists are merely addicted.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm just jealous because there isn't a good coffee shop in a 20 mile radius of my house.
    You too? 2 days ago, I went to my neighborhood RaceTrak and bought a cup of coffee that looked like tea. On top of that, the lady at the register was rude.

Prime cuts,
    could you upload that BNH vol.1 in the Real Headz forum? I never got a chance to listen to it (with the exception of the Puba track).

I've never had a coffee in my life.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Similarly, I remember loving Justice System's debut album (chiefly for Summer in the City, in retrospect), and wishing they would follow up on that. When I found out they actually did about a decade later and bought it, it was quite the disappointment.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I work at Starbucks and while it is a huge corporate whore, it does do a lot of work with communities both here domestically and at coffee farms worldwide. I absolutely loathe the whole yuppie "Starbucks Culture" that just oozes out of the fucking place... but as mentioned, it is nice to be able to get consistently good (albeit slightly expensive) coffee almost anywhere you go. And their focus on customer service is actually quite ridiculous. Want something free?? Just complain. Say it's too cold, too hot, not sweet enough, didn't taste right, whatever. They CAN'T say no to you. Seriously.

THAT said. I wish there could be some sort of co-existence between smaller, local, family-owned coffee shops and Starbucks. But Starbucks is all about that yaper. And they just straight up put people out of business.

yea they once gave me a bend cup (probably dropped) and while driving home on the garden state parkway I spilled my coffee on myself. I emailed them and they sent me a $30 gift card. Try that at your local coffee shop....

• Options

I've never had a coffee in my life.

I'd take Starbucks straight up my glorious Irish ass if I could.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    If it's good enough for Ennio Morricone,

Does he post his beats over there?

it would appear he does

oh, behaave

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Rumor confirmation pleeze:

I remember hearing back in the day a little after vol. 1 came out that they had done a bunch of cuts with other bands that did not make it onto vol. 1, and were going to put out a vol. 2 (possibly). I heard they did one with Digable and some other cats. Anyone else hear this?

And in all honesty, while this album does have some good cuts, it did not stand the test of time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

And in all honesty, while this album does have some good cuts, it did not stand the test of time.

So I should finally stop repeating the lines "oh what a night, yo, that I just been through/I barely made it home from this hip-hop venue" under my breath???

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I work at Starbucks and while it is a huge corporate whore, it does do a lot of work with communities both here domestically and at coffee farms worldwide. I absolutely loathe the whole yuppie "Starbucks Culture" that just oozes out of the fucking place... but as mentioned, it is nice to be able to get consistently good (albeit slightly expensive) coffee almost anywhere you go. And their focus on customer service is actually quite ridiculous. Want something free?? Just complain. Say it's too cold, too hot, not sweet enough, didn't taste right, whatever. They CAN'T say no to you. Seriously.

THAT said. I wish there could be some sort of co-existence between smaller, local, family-owned coffee shops and Starbucks. But Starbucks is all about that yaper. And they just straight up put people out of business.

Totally agreed.

But I don't drink coffee or buy CDs anymore.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    It's all about Groundworks coffee here in LA... Granted Starbucks is on every corner here, Groundworks is makeing a nice mark for themselves here...

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Unfortunately, once I started drinking Peets Coffee there was no going back.