World Cup Bastards Speak Up!!! (Brits stand up!)

Comments

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    which one of these qualifying matchups should i check?
    Group Schedules

Argentina vs Holland
    Italy vs Czech Rep.
    Spain vs Ukraine
    England vs Sweden

I got 20 bucks on Argentina to win the competition out and Crespo to be top scorer, 40-1, pretty goods odds IMO

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    which one of these qualifying matchups should i check?
    Group Schedules

Argentina vs Holland
    Italy vs Czech Rep.
    Spain vs Ukraine
    England vs Sweden

I got 20 bucks on Argentina to win the competition out and Crespo to be top scorer, 40-1, pretty goods odds IMO

also:

Holland vs. Ivory Coast
    Germany vs. Ecuador
    Brazil vs. Croatia
    France vs. Switzerland

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Netherlands v. Serbia/Montenegro 1-0

oh hell yea!

Robben

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I was pretty impressed with the Netherlands defense during the match. Coupled with Serbia/Montenegro's colossal inability to strike the ball on net (one of those chances late in the second half where the ball just bounced (I think twice) in the area on a perfect cross from the far side is mindblowing), the orange deserved the win. Their goal was the result of vision, timing, and flawless execution.

With one prediction gone, I stand by the others (though I would love to see the colonized defeat the colonizers in Angola-Portugal, it's not in the cards).

GolGolGolGolGolGolGolGolGolGol!

JRoot

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    So some members of the Mexican Team are upset that one of their players was born in Argentina and isn't a native of Mexico.

I love irony.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    iran are just falling apart

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Man, way more impressed with angola's game. Portugal played like doo doo the last half.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Man, way more impressed with angola's game. Portugal played like doo doo the last half.

Co-sign on the doo doo factor for Portugal. I just expected Angola to run out of gas at any moment and for the slaughter to begin. By the last 10minuntes I was rooting for Angola to tie it up. SO far Argentina is the best team.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Angola's keeper should get a medal. He made two or three very solid saves that kept Angola in the game. But on the whole, I agree that Angola played an impressively solid game all around. Angola never generated any serious offensive threat, but they nonetheless kept the Portuguese keeper honest with some very strong shots on goal from outside the 18 yard box. I find it amazing that more players don't let shots like these fly - if they're on net, they can really make a keeper earn a day's pay, or else they squirt past into the net. I don't think Portugal played like doo doo exactly, but they certainly didn't play like a team ready to take home the trophy. Solid, but a little lackluster.

Mexico played well, and then Iran crumbled in the last fifteen minutes of the game. The keeper's mistake leading to the second goal was just inexcusable. I'd be surprised if they win either of their remaining two games after this embarrassment.

Tomorrow's matches:

Italy 2, Ghana 0
    U.S. 2, Czech Republic 1
    Japan 3, Australia 2

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Portugal played terribly. If you watch the match again, you will see that they turned the ball over dozens of times on unforced errors in the second half. Figo was awful passing to nowhere numerous times. Ronaldo was tough in the box and yet they pulled him. I guess he and Scolari don't get along.

To add insult to injury, Angola has two guys on their squad who are not even signed to pro teams currently, including the starting keeper, who works out with a 3rd division team in Portugal. Let me remind you that Prtougal beat Russia 7-1. They should have destoyed Angola who should be given a standing ovation for playing their guts out.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Late to the party on the England result (went on 16 hour bender on Saturday with the England match ) but they were pitiful. The most worrying thing for me is that we only have one fit proper striker in our squad and that's Crouch of all people.

Looking at some of the talent Sven left behind there really is no excuse for this.

Also, Hargreaves should never ever play for England ever again. Ever.

Argentina vs Ivory Coast was a superb match, if Ivory Coast could defend as well as they go forward they'd be real contenders. Every match in Group C is unmissable - proper old school group of death.

Portugal looked old.

Holland deserved their win but only just, they faded almost as badly as england in the second half.

I don't know if i can maintain this level of drinking for the next 5 weeks.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    Italy 2, Ghana 0

Yeah Italy has a nice team this time. But I hope they'll loose, because my girl is from Italy and she always tells me that Italy is gonna win this world cup. I gonna watch this game in an open-air cinema this evening and my girl will bring some italian fans with her (all chicks ), so this is going to be funny.

U.S. 2, Czech Republic 1

I think the U.S. team will loose, never underestimate the Czech!

Japan 3, Australia 2

Yep.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    Italy 2, Ghana 0

Yeah Italy has a nice team this time. But I hope they'll loose, because my girl is from Italy and she always tells me that Italy is gonna win this world cup. I gonna watch this game in an open-air cinema this evening and my girl will bring some italian fans with her (all chicks ), so this is going to be funny.

wo genau war das nochmal...?!?

U.S. 2, Czech Republic 1

I think the U.S. team will loose, never underestimate the Czech!

big cosign...

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

Hahaha, where you from mein Freund? ...it's the open-air cinema in Giessen (Hessen).

Hahaha, where you from mein Freund? ...it's the open-air cinema in Giessen (Hessen).

wohne in karlsruhe, also leider etwas zu weit weg.
    viel spa?? mit den italienerinnen!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I don't know if i can maintain this level of drinking for the next 5 weeks.

I try to combine it with daily barbecue...

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    Here's some observations after the first week:

1) Best game so far was that Argentina - Ivory Coast one. Just great open play and energy all round.

2) Players that have caught the eye - Robben (can't stand him, but you can't deny that he's one of the best wide men at the tournament), Drogba (another player I can't stand, but he never gave up and took his goal really well), Riquelme!!, SHAKA Hislop (rolling back the years), Figo (rolling back the years, pt 2), Koroman (apart for getting booked for asking the ref to book another player - twat), Wanchope (two great finishes), Klose (ditto, looks like he'll get a hatful again), Marquez (Barca got a total bargain when they signed him for 3.5m). The whole damn Equador team!

3) Christiano Ronaldo is a petulant brat. He was taken off because none of his showboating was working out, and had been booked and looked a hell of a lot like getting another one. Respect big Phil and take it like a man, you sulking baby.

4) England played like shit, it was hot, Sven is tactically inept, yadda yadda. We've still got all three points on the board and what with Sweden dropping points, that was just a perfect start for us. No-one will remember that game when we qualify top of the group and get into the later rounds. People should lay off Crouch as well, because, bar Lampard, he was the only England player who managed to hold the ball and not misplace a load of passes. He had no service, except hopeful long balls, with no-one to pick up the knockdowns (which he didn't manage to do anyway, because the ref seemed to blow up for a foul anytime the ball went anywhere near him). When he dropped deep he was useful, haters need to recognise.

5) Other than the England game, the refereeing has been pretty good, considering that the refs are usually too quick to enforce whatever pet cause Fifa are championing at the time. It should settle down even more by the later rounds too. Until Sol Campbell nods in a last minute winner and has it disallowed in the semis that is!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some baffling comments in this thread.

First off, England. Hardly an emphatic victory but, at this stage, it's the result which is important, not the performance. Anyone who thinks England will approach the next game in the same way (or, indeed, that they'll have to) needs to get off that crack. There's certainly a few players who need to raise their game but, if that's what it takes, then give me three lacklustre performances that deliver nine points, thanks. Call this blind optimism if you must but, as a Liverpool fan, I can tell you that such a thing occasionally pays dividends.

Figo was awful

Even though he faded during the second half, that was as good an individual performance as I've seen so far - despite having little of his old pace, he was still the fulcrum for pretty much everything Portugal did. He was all over the middle of the park and completely bossed the game in the first half, with a lovely pull-back for Pauleta's goal. Cristiano Ronaldo needs to wind it in with the circus tricks as well; he doesn't need to showboat to be effective, and he'll be lucky to get the opportunity against Mexico, who are probably the best side I've seen thus far. Angola did a great job to limit Portugal to the one goal, but I think their best hope of a result will come against Iran, who paid the price for going for a draw against a Mexico side which looks good enough to win their group comfortably.

Best players of the tournament so far, based on the games I've seen?

Rafael Marquez (Mexico),
    Roberto Ayala (Argentina),
    Nelson Valdes (Paraguay),
    Luis Figo (Portugal),
    Andre Macanga (Angola),
    Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany)

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    So some members of the Mexican Team are upset the coach was born in Argentina and isn't a native of Mexico.

I love irony.

they are very happy that one of their players was born in brazil !

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Best goals:
    Philipp Lahm
    Thorsten Frings

Best team:
    Germany (I mean it)

Best players:
    Frings
    Lahm
    Schweinsteiger
    Riquelme (the only Argentinian that played well)
    Marquez

I'm baffled. Where are the so called big teams? What's happening? I'm not a huge fan of Germany, but it looks like they can advance to the finals again. My bets are on Brazil and Germany. Hopefully, the Czech Republic will reach a decent form. Because it looks like the tournament could become pretty boring (like last time).

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

Best team:
    Germany (I mean it)

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts

EGIL OLSEN! DRILLO! DRILLO!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Best team:
    Germany (I mean it)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Best goals:
    Philipp Lahm
    Thorsten Frings

Best team:
    Germany (I mean it)

Best players:
    Frings
    Lahm
    Schweinsteiger
    Riquelme (the only Argentinian that played well)
    Marquez

I'm baffled. Where are the so called big teams? What's happening? I'm not a huge fan of Germany, but it looks like they can advance to the finals again. My bets are on Brazil and Germany. Hopefully, the Czech Republic will reach a decent form. Because it looks like the tournament could become pretty boring (like last time).

I think it's too early to judge. The teams who are expected to start strongly have done so thus far. One or two of the teams who were expected to make up the numbers have made a good start, too. It still looks open enough to me. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was on ITV yesterday evening, saying that people shouldn't be too surprised if they don't see so much good football in the group stages, as most teams will be focused on doing whatever they need to do to make the quarters. Germany looked hugely impressive in the opener and should coast their group. I think England will do at least enough to qualify for the quarters as runners-up in theirs. And you know what that means...

Best team:
    Germany (I mean it)

so far: COSIGN!

the other so called "big teams" dissapointed so far. (didn't watch argentina though)
    but there are still a few to come.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Best team:
    Argentina (I mean it)

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    monday morning game
    ref blew the call
    if the japanese were complaining about past ruff play from the roos
    look out for the next hour
    red card inevitable ?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm cheering for Japan on this one!