World Cup Bastards Speak Up!!! (Brits stand up!)

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Germany is not that hot..I put my money on Ecuador

no way! once their defense gets better, germany will win that game. i wish they would kick out Schneider. Two chances and he missed both. He's such a weak player. We don't need him. Now if only Deissler was fit...

1) Germany
    2) Ecuador
    3) Costa Rica
    4) Poland

who cares about the defence? the strikers are fit!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    weee weeee OG, so far so good for engahhhland.

the ref is way too whistle happy

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yes, the ref is... LET CROUCH LOOSE!!!!!!!

Paraguay looked shaky in the first 15 mins, but look back in the game now.

ENGLAND!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    owen out already, is he that short of match fitness?

downing is a weird choice, is sven sitting back already??

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    England - Paraguay: worst game so far. Two very very very weak teams. What's happening with England? I was watching some pre World Cup games and they ruled. But today's game was shocking.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    England - Paraguay: worst game so far. Two very very very weak teams. What's happening with England? I was watching some pre World Cup games and they ruled. But today's game was shocking.

28 degree heat is what happened to England. Still, this tournament is all about results, and we got the result. There'll be better England performances than that, but I do agree that it wasn't much of a game. Not entirely convinced of Svennis' decision to go Italian and defend a 1-0 lead by replacing Owen with Downing, especially against a Paraguay side who approached the game much more purposefully in the second half. It left Crouch too isolated, and there was no-one for him or the midfielders to play in when they had the ball in the final third of the field. Joe Cole had an excellent game, and I was impressed by Robinson, who looked very confident. Looking forward to Argentina/Ivory Coast this evening - should be good.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

England will raise their game for the more technical Euro teams. They will even raise their game against Argentina or Brazil... but right now it's looking like they will get destroyed by either of them. No team brain and Lampard is the only one who looks dangerous with the ball at his feet, and there's a few who are there on reputation alone (A Cole). Crouch plays like Lineker without the touch. By next world cup he'll be a distant memory. Not looking dangerous against a team that can't buy goals. Oh dear. Rooney needs to be fit and Gerrard should play alongside Hargreaves. Joe Cole mainly runs nowhere. Am I being harsh?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Oh anbd it took about 6 minutes for me to get irate at the ABC commentary. I think Joe pundit said "bend it like Beckham" 4 times. And most of the analysis was of some other game I wasn't watching!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO!!!!

0:0

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO!!!!

haha, honestly, who expected that?!?

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    Oh anbd it took about 6 minutes for me to get irate at the ABC commentary. I think Joe pundit said "bend it like Beckham" 4 times. And most of the analysis was of some other game I wasn't watching!

i watched it in spanish

GOAAAAAAAAAAALO. what a boring game. sayin tho

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO!!!!

haha, honestly, who expected that?!?

I betted on a draw, although I did not expect it

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO!!!!

oh hell yes! getting down to some calypso right now in celebration of this result

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    the german national television (which broadcasts the World Cup in Germany) engaged a hip hop group (a popular one) that presents rap songs with freshly written lyrics about each World Cup day! germany is such a place! i'm baffled!

i just watched their first show and it was ...

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I hope you dummies are watching this Ivory Coast vs Argentina match.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I hope you dummies are watching this Ivory Coast vs Argentina match.

Argentina 2 - Ivory Coast 1

NEXT!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO!!!!

oh hell yes! getting down to some calypso right now in celebration of this result

I missed the England-Paraguay match this morning. It doesn't sound like I missed much, although the replay makes it seem less like an own goal and more like an amazing free kick from Beckham. File under: conspiracy to prevent him from winning the golden boot.

I watched the Trinidad&Tobago-Sweden match in its entirety. That second yellow card on John to start the second half was nonsense - that wasn't even a foul, much less a book-deserving foul. The yellow card was wildly out of line considering the conduct, and to send a player off at that point in the game was outrageous. The T&T keeper played a very solid game, and this was one of those nil-nil games that was a lot of fun to watch. In typical fashion, Sweden had a half-dozen amazing chances that they failed to finish. I thought that T&T might actually take the game down the stretch.

Argentina v. Ivory Coast. Argentina knows how to put the bulge in the bag, but if Ivory Coast had a better keeper, they emerge with a draw in this one. That first goal was suspect - keeper should have come out and caught that piece. Once it hit the ground, it was destined for the back of the net. Great entertaining back and forth football all day. Sweden needs to stop by the Argentine practice for a little finishing session with Crespo and Saviola.

Tomorrow's games:

Netherlands v. Serbia/Montenegro - 1-1 Draw
    Mexico v. Iran - 3-0 Mexico
    Angola v. Portugal - 4-1 Portugal

GolGolGolGolGolGolGolGolGolGolGol!!!!

JRoot

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    good match, Ivory coast impressed me - I predicted 4-0 so I'm a bit dissapointed with Argentina. But what the hell do I know, I'm just holding my breath for tomorrow's match against the Serbs...

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    P.S. Netherlands v. Serbia/Montenegro - 2-1

Seeing most of the games so far, just made me realize there are no weak teams in the cup this year.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Do you guys have "office pools" or any kind of street level gambling involving the World Cup??

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    mexico will not do iran by three clear goals, no way
    and netherlands will not draw with serbia, no way!!
    portugal will rape angola tho.

Do you guys have "office pools" or any kind of street level gambling involving the World Cup??

Street level gambling will be huge world wide.

We just had a triple drive-by shooting here, which was mob related. And if I were a betting man, it's from all the money going around for world cup bets.

But no, I'm not running any kind of office pool. But I do have a bet with someone.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Argentina v. Ivory Coast. Argentina knows how to put the bulge in the bag, but if Ivory Coast had a better keeper, they emerge with a draw in this one. That first goal was suspect - keeper should have come out and caught that piece. Once it hit the ground, it was destined for the back of the net. Great entertaining back and forth football all day. Sweden needs to stop by the Argentine practice for a little finishing session with Crespo and Saviola.

I didn't see the second half of this match, unfortunately, since it was one of the best matches I've ever seen, but I was really impressed with the Ivory Coast's strikers -- pretty much controlled the game. Their midfield was solid, as well, but that defense was pretty damn bad. Hopefully they'll shore it up.

I wish I could say they'll be better for the next World Cup, but four years is a long time, especially in that country.

Be nervous, Netherlands.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Honestly, if I could watch one team in any World Cup final, it would have to be Argentina. That country is consistently involved in some of the best matches in World Cup history; Today's burner with IC being no exception. Just a brilliant performance by Riquelme. IC's pace definitely caused problems but like most African squads they just don't have the focus to put a full 90 min effort together. The IC Holland match could be unbelievable.

In re Holland v Serbia Montenegro. I think this will be a very tough low scoring 0-0 or 1-0 type game.

I am taking Iran in tomorrow's match 2-1.

I can't wait to see how we fair against the Czechs.

What's the group thinking about the Aussie-Nippon match-up?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

What's the group thinking about the Aussie-Nippon match-up?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Oh and Portugal 4-0.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    although the replay makes it seem less like an own goal and more like an amazing free kick from Beckham. File under: conspiracy to prevent him from winning the golden boot.

you blind or something?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    which one of these qualifying matchups should i check?
    Group Schedules

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I didn't see the second half of this match, unfortunately, since it was one of the best matches I've ever seen, but I was really impressed with the Ivory Coast's strikers -- pretty much controlled the game. Their midfield was solid, as well, but that defense was pretty damn bad. Hopefully they'll shore it up.

I wish I could say they'll be better for the next World Cup, but four years is a long time, especially in that country.

Be nervous, Netherlands.

Yeah, great game and the Ivorians were definitely the better team to watch. The Cote D'Ivoire is so fucked I'm always amazed they manage to get a team together at all but maybe next time they'll go even further. My favourite memories of living there include watching a Senegal vs Cote D'Ivoire in aq Africa Cup game in Abidjan - just superb football. That and watching Stevie Wonder and Earth Wind and Fire doing a joint concert in the same stadium a month later.