Official Female Folk (ACID) Thread

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
Not sure how to classify this, but This is my shit right now... Nice female vocals... kind of carole king with a nice back beat. Please feel free to add to the list and pass a white dude some MP3s:

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

• Vashti Bunyan

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Not really acid, but there is one track on here that is DOPE

My mountain retreat yeilds rare funk and lesbian folk biotchez. Deal with it.

• this is essential for any crate digger with cool taste:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this is real nice, I will send you a snippet in a little bit, my copy is pretty rinked though, anybody have a clean one they would be willing to come off of?

• My shit right now:

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    My shit right now:

any relation to

?

• Nice Uk femme acid-folk, cool downtempo drums:

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Nice Uk femme acid-folk, cool downtempo drums:

DOPE!!!

• I got this ridiculously dope s h i t joint on the Hippie Goddess comp from some years back...it's credited to "Tobie"...anyone has more info??

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yo Taiconderoga...is your handle that because you have the taiconderga 45 on beacon? I want one of those BAD...you know where a dood can get a copy?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I got this ridiculously dope s h i t joint on the Hippie Goddess comp from some years back...it's credited to "Tobie"...anyone has more info??

]

is this new or old?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Caroline Peyton- intuition has a few really nice tracks, my fave being "call of the wild". Also The Cake "a slice of" is dope. I ordered that Linda Perhacs last week, I'm excited to hear it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• The Street and the Sea

There isn't that much to say about this beautiful 1975 album of Pennsylvania folk poetics with a Linda Perhacs soundalike named Perky Quinby (aka Priscilla) fronting the best tracks, except that you'll probably never see it but pick it up if you do. Got it from Anthony Pearson, which was a major fuckup on his part, since he's all about this stuff.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Hippie Goddesses was a solid boot comp issued by a well-known psych dealer, then withdrawn; track listing:

1. SALLY EATON: Flowers In the Air
    2. COLLEEN LOVETT: Birds with Broken Wings Pt 1
    3. CHERYL DILCHER: All Woman
    4. COLLEEN LOVETT: Women Liberation Blues
    5. CHERYL DILCHER: High
    6. CAROLYN HESTER: I'm Magic, Man
    7. LILLY & MARIA: Everybody Knows
    8. MICHELE: Smilin'
    9. MARGO GURYAN: Love
    10. TOBIE COLUMBUS: Come In My Mouth
    11. RUTH COPELAND: "Your Love Been So Good To Me
    12. COLLEEN LOVETT: Asleep In His Arms (part)
    13. COLLEEN LOVETT: Love Man
    14. MICHELE: Believe You
    15. LINDA PERHACS: Parallelograms
    16. COLLEEN LOVETT: Birds with Broken Wings Pt 2
    17. XAVIERA HOLLANDER: The Hippie

Couple more to recommend:

Kathy Nevins: Hey Friend LP (RPC, 81631/81632, 1970), lovely amateur folk that doesn't hit you at first but glows a little more with each listen, on the amazing RPC custom label too, one to always look out for

The Medical Mission Sisters: I Know the Secret LP (Avant Garde, AVS-105, 1967), actually many Catholic priest and nun records are worth scoping out on the cheap, very dark and haunting sometimes; this label is a good one to look for too

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Not sure how to classify this, but This is my shit right now... Nice female vocals...

Is this going to be the new flavor-of-the-month micro genre to jump-on?

Bonnie Koloc got that PIFF!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I got this ridiculously dope s h i t joint on the Hippie Goddess comp from some years back...it's credited to "Tobie"...anyone has more info??

Aw snap yeah this Tobie track from this "Let My People Come"record from NY. Its from a play about sexual freedoms and such. Theres some really funny shit on there. I have it somewhere in this mess.... I'll try and find it and post the pic later

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Aw snap yeah this Tobie track from this "Let My People Come"record from NY. Its from a play about sexual freedoms and such. Theres some really funny shit on there. I have it somewhere in this mess.... I'll try and find it and post the pic later

Meaty's Adventures!!!! I think that and the Sarah Webster Fabio were the two tracks I was most curious about on that mix. I'll have to dig that out.

The one on the right is Jan and Lorraine's "Gypsy People" album, which I've been diggin a lot lately. I'll see if I can post a sound clip later today.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

I just got one for the shop yesterday if you're looking for it. "Let My People Come" was an off off Broadway play from the early 70's. Like "Oh Calcutta" it was notorious (at the time) for its nudity.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• yo Taiconderoga...is your handle that because you have the taiconderga 45 on beacon? I want one of those BAD...you know where a dood can get a copy?

yep, I love the Taiconderoga. I got the spanish 45 on Belter. In the last 4 years I've had 2 spare copies (sold them on the bay) but now I can't find it anywhere.

I know there's an LP comp on Beacon which features the 45.

• Ellen McIlwaine was also in a band called Fear Itself thats worth seeking out if you like it

• slushslush 691 Posts
    SOULSTRUT IS SO ON POINT TODAY IT IS DISTURBING

this is MY SHIT
    everything that everyone has mentioned is MY SHIT

i want to add my hero is Bridget St. John. i fear even mentioning her for threat of soulstrut price inflation killing my chance of getting ask me no questions (which is pretty much a non existant possibility at this point). But she deserves a golden throne beside Linda Perhacs as the Queen and Queen of folk (Acid and Pastoral respectively)

• Bridget St. John has been popping off on ebay lately (nothing at all to do w/ soulstrut) but you can catch an off-grade copy for around $20 if you keep an eye out.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i dont have a credit card
    or whatever you need to buy records on the interweb

but id gladly spend 20 dollars for it. even 30. even 45

so as not to waste time, whatyouallknowabout

so acid folk you gotta graze with cows for an hour on peyote before it even makes a noise

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Woody Simmons - Grey Today

:/

Off the Oregon Mountains record mentioned above. I like it, during those sensitive leaky moments where I just want to be held

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

This one sprung to mind when I saw the topic title - little related story (the way of the strut): last year I was in a radio studio with Signify when he was out here & he was playing stuff on his new LP, moody atmospheric instrumental hip hop (you know the gig). Anyway, suddenly a big ol 'winters going' sample pierces the studio, and I instinctively say 'Bonnie Dobson'. He just said 'yep' and that was that.

Was Christine Harwood 'Nice to meet you Miss Christine' mentioned up on here already - talk about waiting for things to arrive in the post (re, not a exp. OG), 4 weeks and counting over here