Official Female Folk (ACID) Thread

13»

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Dacrana,
    I didn't know you were referring to Mark Latency's pho-tos.
    But to answer your question, yes, the Pomerance is so psych that it does not appear in the photographs (at first glance). If you take the perhacs photo into photoshop and do a few rounds of tweaking, you will see that the Pomerance lays directly in front of sweet linda divine.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Speaking of which, can we please define "acid folk"? This has got to be one of theee most loosely defined genres that people throw around. I've heard almost everything called it at one point. I've always thought of it to mean slightly/very psychadelic folk-rock outside of the mainstream. IE: Tyrannosaurus Rex, not Buffalo Springfield. But it seems that when this is discussed, everything & the kitchen sink is brought up...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Dante, you're right, they are not psychedelic folk but I threw them in there since it seemed everyone was generally talking about female singers.

Many of them have their moments, but the Perhacs takes the cake. Parallelograms for days.

Mama Lion is most definitely not "female folk acid" but the die-cut is to die for, hah hah.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Speaking of which, can we please define "acid folk"? This has got to be one of theee most loosely defined genres that people throw around. I've heard almost everything called it at one point. I've always thought of it to mean slightly/very psychadelic folk-rock outside of the mainstream. IE: Tyrannosaurus Rex, not Buffalo Springfield. But it seems that when this is discussed, everything & the kitchen sink is brought up...

Like most true psych, acid folk is quite elusive... its also far more celebrated in the UK (check their edition of LOVE PEACE & POETRY for some true acid folk)

Most records that define the genre are impossibly rare and/or barely exist... outside of the mainstream is right. Not sure if the acoustic TRex qualifies or not, that stuff is far more commercial and popular than most of what meets the definition

Its being thrown around to describe a lot of things to sell you records, like most of these 'hip' genre tags

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    See also the 3LP femme freakfolk trilogy by Collie Ryan.

I just got back from hanging out with her for a day as a matter of fact. She's been living entirely off the land for 25 years now. Everyone talks about facemelting but this was the real deal -- I crossed into another plane of consciousness without drugs. Anyone wanna help me put together the reissue?

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    hanging out with Collie Ryan for a day

Are you fucking kidding me?
    What's up with some original paintings?
    And I'm sure through the 10,000 songs spread out across the three LPs you could assemble a choice 14-track transportational Ryan gazette.
    But who will buy?

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    hanging out with Collie Ryan for a day

Are you fucking kidding me?
    What's up with some original paintings?
    And I'm sure through the 10,000 songs spread out across the three LPs you could assemble a choice 14-track transportational Ryan gazette.
    But who will buy?

Actually there are literally about 800 recorded songs from the past 30 years, as well as 1,000 others that haven't been recorded, and she released a CD in 2000. I haven't listened to it yet but will advise.

You can buy her hubcaps for about $150 each. They are truly exsqusite and the cause of her continued existence is a worthy one. And she will work along the lines of a theme if you give her one. Anyone interested should let me know.

I think people will buy a reissue if you get someone like Davendra Bernhardt (sp?) or Joanna Newsom to do a blurb sticker and talk it up in interviews, which would happen automatically if those people were to hear this stuff.

Excuse my ignorance but you've done many reissues, correct? Please PM me if you want to help me out with this -- I have no experience at it but I do believe you could sell out a 1,000 copies within two or three years, which would seem to me to make it a worthwhile thing to do.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Playlist of songs featured in this thread:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    I feel like Beverly Glenn-Copeland actually leans more towards jazz than psych, but people usually give her first release (on CBC) the "acid folk" tag.

p.s., this is a great thread, but I wish there were also recommendations re: men who made acid folk!

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    Also, this track from the Mariangela album has an acid folk vibe: