Official Female Folk (ACID) Thread

Comments

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

The Medical Mission Sisters: I Know the Secret LP (Avant Garde, AVS-105, 1967), actually many Catholic priest and nun records are worth scoping out on the cheap, very dark and haunting sometimes; this label is a good one to look for too

no shit - I've got one of these and have seen others, thought they were the usual chaff

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts

anyone care to id these micro images?

Since no one else did -- "Constant Companion" by Ruthann Friedman, Warners, c. 1970. After one listen last night (got it from Rich in Austin) and staring at that cover for several hours I'm tempted to call it a fukin masterpiece.

d

RAD album

(Amanda Trees)

Not yet, I'm in Tuscon with a coven of alt.witches. They were playing Scategories and started reading my mind from the moment I walked in the door, and now they are dropping all these hints about new sexually transmitted diseases I've never heard of before...

I think I will be back in LA around Wednesday or Thursday, and on Friday I think there is going to be some sort of homecoming party at my house or a restuarant, to which you and Guzz and any other friendly LA SS people are invited. Will advise...

Can't wait to shoot and post all the insane shit I got in the last six weeks. Amerikkka is definitely picked over but Austin was good to me and I managed to get a couple of things elsewhere as well.

And by the way all transportation problems were resolved without me finally needing you know what, a big fukin relief.

Cyal8a

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Thanks a lot RAJ, I was just about to hit the sack. Big cosign on this genre. I even busted out the blue velvet background for this one, hommie.

Where the heck is my other Ellen and my Gail Garnett? Damned Expedit ate my records from NOLA.

(Holler if anyone needs the Marian Henderson, Ellen - We The People, or Debbie Au. I gots doubles of those)

badonka-bump

who got a harwood or guryan to sell me?

laterz

Indeed!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    what record is level one anyways?

hint: what kind of kitty is that?

hint: o-dub knows the time

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    hint: what kind of kitty is that?

hint: o-dub knows the time

I seem to be the only one who thinks that album is

The follow-up is far less good

it's level 1 on the strength of the cover

I'd rather listen to my Laura Sings or Sally Townes

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    it's level 1 on the strength of the cover

Ah, makes sense!

I'd rather listen to my Laura Sings or Sally Townes

Whats the story on Sally? Looks like ass but I like being surprised like that...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    With all due respect, I never knew Isis, Mama Lion, Christine McVie or Sandie Shaw were supposed to be folk at all. It's almost like that term is now a catchall for Any White Female Who Was Making Records In The Sixties & Seventies.

(Well, one of the members of Isis is black, but you know what I mean!)

• FOLK IS JOAN BAEZ AND HER SELF TITLED LP FROM 1960 IS DARKER THAT JOY DIVISION AND HEAVIER THAN STEEL BONER. IT IS GNARLS BLOODSTOOL. BUY IT FOR A DOLLA AND FREAK.

Whats the story on Sally? Looks like ass but I like being surprised like that...

mellow private singing, not rocky but one cut is nice

pickwick, you're right, Isis is not folk but I threw it in there since it seemed like we were generally talking about female singers. I would only classify a few of the LPs as truly "folk" but some are on the fringe of being folk/acid/weird.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

anyone care to id these micro images?

Since no one else did -- "Constant Companion" by Ruthann Friedman, Warners, c. 1970. After one listen last night (got it from Rich in Austin) and staring at that cover for several hours I'm tempted to call it a fukin masterpiece.

d

Hey BeardedD, were you at hotel pysch fest in Austin? I prolly met you out there.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I just got my copy of the Linda Perhacs reissue in the mail today. Most expensive gotdamn reissue I've ever bought, but ohhh is it sweet!!!

indeed!

besides the Korean (?) reissue, there is also a CD reissue with extra demo tracks, crink

there is CD with extra demo tracks, crink

the vinyl has them too...

• slushslush 691 Posts
    the track where she demonstrates her rain sounds = the only time i will use this seriously =

• These are some good ones too...

thx Shing, I will be keeping an eye out for those

the salvation new rock musical is aiight

• slushslush 691 Posts

YOLANDA BAVAN lays all the vocals on this joint!

My last two girlfriends fucking HATE Yolande Bavan. In fact if i even start humming 'cat scratch fever' - my girl loses it on me. "that bitch cant sing" ---- sometimes i don't know about these girls. Yolande is the tooth.

not acid folk though.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts

This is my new favourite record. Thank you.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

I'm with Porter on this. While these pictures are cool, the only psychedelic Folk LP in those batches is the Perhacs. The Colleen Lovett is psychedelic only when mixed with salty bumps and a lukewarm hot tub, but it does get it done eventually.

Seven words: GAYLE STANLEY "AFTER THE SNOW" ON SQUIRE

See also the 3LP femme freakfolk trilogy by Collie Ryan.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I'm with Porter on this. While these pictures are cool, the only psychedelic Folk LP in those batches is the Perhacs. The Colleen Lovett is psychedelic only when mixed with salty bumps and a lukewarm hot tub, but it does get it done eventually.

Seven words: GAYLE STANLEY "AFTER THE SNOW" ON SQUIRE

See also the 3LP femme freakfolk trilogy by Collie Ryan.

erica pomerance is not psychedelic folk? pfffffft.

erica pomerance is not psychedelic folk? pfffffft.

Co-sign. that record is trippy!

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

D. Comcast:
    Is the Pomerance so psych that it doesn't show up in actual photographs?
    Do I need to call Ted Serios out to Itasca?