Rep your Magazine Subscriptions (rr or nrr)

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
my starting five:[/b]- The Economist- Men's Health- GQ- Details- Esquirethe last three are kinda bitch made, but like weezy f. baby, i gotta get my grown man on.riding the bench:[/b]- waxpo (i used to have it, but forgot to resubscribe, lately i have just been buying as they come out)- fader and the like (i don't subscribe, but i gotta keep my hipster cred, the Economist doesn't delve much into the new TVOTR album).

Comments

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    The Economist
    Foreign Affairs
    New Yorker
    Wax Poetics

• LuckyLaneLuckyLane 35 Posts
    XLR8R
    BestLife
    Mother Earth News
    Family Handyman
    Adweek

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    wax po
    scratch (which I'm not renewing)
    saveur
    art culinaire
    vice

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Current/Not Going Anywhere:

- New Yorker (something of an obsession)
    - Esquire (at $8/year, a no brainer)
    - Art Forum/Book Forum (Latter has better articles; former, better ads)
    - Money (Birthday gift, but I'll renew it; I could stand to learn some more about money)

Lapsed:
    - Games Magazine (I like crosswords and all, but that was too much)
    - Sports Illustrated (Bring back the long articles! Someone, fire Rick Reilly)

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Harpers
    ArtForum
    (what a nerd)

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    Current Sobscriptions:

CMJ[/b] (guilty pleasure from the college radio days)

FourFourTwo[/b] (fantastic football/soccer mag from UK)

Wax Poetics[/b] (no explanation needed)

Maxim[/b] (can't front, I like the short articles for um, 'the office')

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    fhm - blah, its free, so (i somehow get 2 a month)
    maSS appeal - hella boring
    scratch -i enjoy this mag
    wax po - just subscribed the other day

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Economist
    Details
    Playboy (for the articles, of course).

• damn, i haven't had a magazine subscription since:

whos got links for free subs?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I get a shit pile of mags via work stuff:

-Fader
    -Complex
    -Vice
    -Filter
    -XLR8R
    -URB
    -Scratch
    -Wax Po'
    -Stop Smiling
    -Arktip
    -YRB
    -All the Snowboard Mags
    -Anthem
    -The Royal
    -ID
    -Robb Report
    -Ad Week
    -Brand Week
    -The JRNL
    -Details
    -GQ
    -Esquire
    -Stuff
    -FHM

There a lot more.....

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    National Geographic, I get a gift subscription from my aunt every year for my birthday, love it, great magazine so I can vicariously travel through others and not just read about hotels and restaurants

Vegetarian Times, which could stand to have more vegan recipies, really its wifey's subscription but I think I get more out of it

-Fader
    -Complex
    -Vice
    -Filter
    -XLR8R
    -URB
    -Scratch
    -Wax Po'
    -Stop Smiling
    -Arktip
    -YRB
    -All the Snowboard Mags
    -Anthem
    -The Royal
    -ID
    -Robb Report
    -Ad Week
    -Brand Week
    -The JRNL
    -Details
    -GQ
    -Esquire
    -Stuff
    -FHM

There a lot more.....

holy shit. your mailman hates you.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    National Geographic, I get a gift subscription from my aunt every year for my birthday, love it, great magazine so I can vicariously travel through others and not just read about hotels and restaurants

for some reason i always feel like i am looking at an encyclopdia when i see Nat'l G. Like nice pictures and all, but nothing really i want to spend my time with.

or perhaps i am just a layman.

-Fader
    -Complex
    -Vice
    -Filter
    -XLR8R
    -URB
    -Scratch
    -Wax Po'
    -Stop Smiling
    -Arktip
    -YRB
    -All the Snowboard Mags
    -Anthem
    -The Royal
    -ID
    -Robb Report
    -Ad Week
    -Brand Week
    -The JRNL
    -Details
    -GQ
    -Esquire
    -Stuff
    -FHM

There a lot more.....

holy shit. your mailman hates you.

They all come to my work so it's gravy.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Economist
    Foreign Affairs
    Far Eastern Economic Review
    Saveur
    Dwell

Buy a lot of other magazines off the stands here and there, but these are the subscriptions mayne.

Joints I buy off the stands sometimes:

Wine Spectator
    Various travel magazines
    Various food/cooking magazines
    F.E.D.S.
    XXL
    King
    All kinds of Japanese magazines (We have a Kinokuniya bookstore right below the crib!)

• Wine Spectator

can we get an "I GETS MY GROWN MAN ON" graemlin?

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts

SI
    Playboy

I buy WaxPo every month and every issue of Ugly Things I see (Thanks SoI!).

Don't forget Dondivamag.com

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

for some reason i always feel like i am looking at an encyclopdia when i see Nat'l G. Like nice pictures and all, but nothing really i want to spend my time with.

To each his own, I actually really like reading about the pictures, gives them context instead of just being striking images. Last year N.G. changed editor in chief, and the magazine has been taking a new direction, more involved in current affairs, as opposed to sole travel, archaeology, and evironmental science articles.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

To each his own, I actually really like reading about the pictures, gives them context instead of just being striking images. Last year N.G. changed editor in chief, and the magazine has been taking a new direction, more involved in current affairs, as opposed to sole travel, archaeology, and evironmental science articles.

I read an article they had a few month ago on the Kurds in Iraq that was really good. They have some great articles, its good to see them covering more current affairs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    (For reading pleasure)
    *Entertainment Weekly
    *The New Yorker
    *The Week

(Work related)
    *XXL
    *Wax Poetics
    *Scratch

(wife's subs that I read too)
    *Cook's Illustrated (get familiar!)
    *Wired

(thinking about adding)
    *The Atlantic Monthly
    *The Economist

I went to a taping of "America's Test Kitchen" last week; had a blast. They were making Meatloaf & skillet potatoes, and they tasted great to me. I also noted that C. Kimball and the other chef kept eating after the camera stopped rolling- the sign of something that actually tastes good.

"America's Test Kitchen"

this that show w/ the nerdy dude and the chubby chick chefs trying diff food products etc. if so i was mad hooked on that show when i lived in nh.

"America's Test Kitchen"

this that show w/ the nerdy dude and the chubby chick chefs trying diff food products etc. if so i was mad hooked on that show when i lived in nh.

Yup...from the editors of "Cook's Illustrated". Definitely the best cooking show on PBS since the Jaques & Julia years.

Nerdy dude has a pretty wry/dark sense of humor that apparently gets cut in the edit room.

"America's Test Kitchen"

Yup...from the editors of "Cook's Illustrated". Definitely the best cooking show on PBS since the Jaques & Julia years.

Nerdy dude has a pretty wry/dark sense of humor that apparently gets cut in the edit room.

oh yeah, i remember some things getting by, and being like wha??
    funny dude.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Spin
    Vibe
    New York
    Interview
    Entertainment Weekly
    Atlantic
    Harpers
    Vanity Fair
    Esquire
    Gourmet
    Saveur
    plus a bunch of "parents" magazines....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I went to a taping of "America's Test Kitchen" last week; had a blast. They were making Meatloaf & skillet potatoes, and they tasted great to me. I also noted that C. Kimball and the other chef kept eating after the camera stopped rolling- the sign of something that actually tastes good.

To be honest, some of their recipes are just far too fussy but that said, I treat their "Best Recipes" book (which is like...two phone books big) as my first source for any meal I'm contemplating.

That said, their old beef stew recipe used bacon grease to kick off the browning of the beef but in their new version, they took out the bacon.

FOUL.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

To be honest, some of their recipes are just far too fussy but that said, I treat their "Best Recipes" book (which is like...two phone books big) as my first source for any meal I'm contemplating.

That said, their old beef stew recipe used bacon grease to kick off the browning of the beef but in their new version, they took out the bacon.

FOUL.

I got my wife that cookbook last year. She's used it a bunch of times. So far, so good.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Mine[/b]:

British GQ (blows the American version out of the water!)

The Believer (literary mag - not sure I would renew)

Family Handyman (a very useful gift subscription)

Wired (free with my Salon.com subscription)

Wife's:[/b]

Gourmet

Bon Appetite

So how is Foreign Affairs?
    What's its "slant"?
    I've been thinking of adding either this or Monthly Review...