NY Times on The Thing

2»

Comments

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    as far as buying records professionally...i guess either have a reissue label like those guys

Thats what I'm saying though... there's no way you could live comfortably off having a small reissue label (and a legitimate one that licenses tracks no less) right?

It's true. I'm very poor. But many, many people buy records professionally.

And for the record, I know what Straker's was, and I believe I explain what it was in that piece.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    as far as buying records professionally...i guess either have a reissue label like those guys

Thats what I'm saying though... there's no way you could live comfortably off having a small reissue label (and a legitimate one that licenses tracks no less) right?

It's true. I'm very poor. But many, many people buy records professionally.

Okay, thanks... thats good to know. I'd love to be able to exclusively run a label but I've gotten too old and comfortable to do something like that now. And my passion for obscure music would prevent me from making a living off selling old records cuz I just can't seem to part with most of em.

I'm currently occupied with trying to figure out how to make MORE money than I am.

Much respect for what you do BTW, there are very few reissue labels who do it so well. Hope the vinyl rumours are true.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    "But I'm picky: I own 15,000 records."

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    At least he didn't say 'Nips', right?

Sure... its just the hypocrisy in here kills me somethimes. Just sayin'.

If you commit genocide and lose a World War you have no choice but to be called what the victors choose to call you. Do a search on here for "kraut" and then talk to me about hypocrisy kid. Do you see Ze Chermans getting asshurt about names? No, because if they whine enough they know that someone will point out that their grandparents sent someone else's grnadparents to the gaschamber, thus making any asshurt complaints about the word "kraut" look foolish and petty. And quite rightly too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japs have a similar past I believe.

Then go to sites like JAP.com and JAProck.com maybe start an asshurt email campaign to bring those sites down!

Pssshhhh.

• At least he didn't say 'Nips', right?

If you commit genocide and lose a World War you have no choice but to be called what the victors choose to call you. Do a search on here for "kraut" and then talk to me about hypocrisy kid. Do you see Ze Chermans getting asshurt about names? No, because if they whine enough they know that someone will point out that their grandparents sent someone else's grnadparents to the gaschamber, thus making any asshurt complaints about the word "kraut" look foolish and petty. And quite rightly too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japs have a similar past I believe.

so anyone not in the dominant position is subject to whatever title the dominant group bestows upon them?

BigSpliff I think you are a great part of this forum but c'mon man you really can't believe that

can you?

so anyone not in the dominant position is subject to whatever title the dominant group bestows upon them?

That was tongue in cheek, related to being born and bred in England but putting up with daily name-calling on account of my foreign name. It's not a good look to complain about names when there's WWII badges and shit hanging in the room. So, for the first half of my life I was "Kraut" or "Eric" or "Adolf" or even plain "Nazi" even though my name is none of those. I think being called "Germ" would have been an endearing alternative. But like I said, if I had complained I would have had my face caved in.

• so anyone not in the dominant position is subject to whatever title the dominant group bestows upon them?

That was tongue in cheek, related to being born and bred in England but putting up with daily name-calling on account of my foreign name. It's not a good look to complain about names when there's WWII badges and shit hanging in the room. So, for the first half of my life I was "Kraut" or "Eric" or "Adolf" or even plain "Nazi" even though my name is none of those. I think being called "Germ" would have been an endearing alternative. But like I said, if I had complained I would have had my face caved in.

that experience sounds like it sucked. Doesn't sound like those people were justified in calling you shit like "Nazi". Doesn't it sound like reason enough to stop perpetuating that type of ethnic stereotyping/ insulting?

I find it interesting to see non-American views on things like this. maybe were too PC here in the US but seeing a different perspective is pretty informative.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Sasha, while I understand the temptation to argue when the person taking you to task is Guzzo, using that word is a genuinely bad look.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Sasha, while I understand the temptation to argue when the person taking you to task is Guzzo, using that word is a genuinely bad look.

Yes it is. A VERY bad look.

• Sasha, while I understand the temptation to argue when the person taking you to task is Guzzo, using that word is a genuinely bad look.

dude get off my sac, no one was arguing here.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Sam Brown, a 24-year-old writer and actor from Williamsburg on his first trip to the store, was trying to focus on Phil Collins. He hit upon a simple tactic.

"All of his records have white cursive writing on the spine," he said. "So I just looked for the cursive." Mr. Brown had nearly 20 records in his pile.

I applaud this man.

Mr. Brown = Badass.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I wasn't intending to cause any offense... but i genuinely don't know why "jap" is offensive, when like i said it is simply an abbreviation of the word "Japanese". I don't see any negative connotations with the word, and instead see it is just a shortened form of it like i said before, similar to Brit, Aussie, Scot, Dane, Swede etc...
    Could someone explain to the ignorant (that's me) why it is offensive, so that in future i can avoid it for a reason, rather than just because...

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    At least he didn't say 'Nips', right?

Then go to sites like JAP.com and JAProck.com maybe start an asshurt email campaign to bring those sites down!

Pssshhhh.

What the hell is this?

"Jap" is a fucking offensive word, and I get the feeling you don't give a shit.
    , kid.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    history and context.

from the good ole wiki:

Jap (variants: Japo, Japse) is a slur used against the Japanese people.
    Jap as War Slur
    Jap, n was first used in 1860 to refer to members of the Japanese embassy in the United States. It was later popularized during World War II to describe those of Japanese/Asian descent, and used as a disparaging term to describe Japanese people.

the Jap attack on Pearl Harbor...

Note: characterized as an anachronism. Many Americans find the term extremely offensive and racist, but a Japanese living in Japan would have trouble understanding their violent reactions, as the term would not be racist to him.[citation needed] Many non-Americans use the term as a natural abbreviation of the word "Japanese". [citation needed]

Unsurprisingly, in Japanese dictionaries, the term "Jap" is only defined as a disparaging term used agianst the Japanese people, like it is the case in many English language dictionaries. [1] These dictionaries accurately reflect the fact that the term "Jap" is not used in Japan as a neutral abbreviation for Japan or its people.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Cheers,
    Like i said, wasn't trying to cause offense, i just wasn't aware it was offensive.
    Thanks for clearing that up...

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    I wasn't intending to cause any offense... but i genuinely don't know why "jap" is offensive, when like i said it is simply an abbreviation of the word "Japanese". I don't see any negative connotations with the word, and instead see it is just a shortened form of it like i said before, similar to Brit, Aussie, Scot, Dane, Swede etc...
    Could someone explain to the ignorant (that's me) why it is offensive, so that in future i can avoid it for a reason, rather than just because...

I think maybe the history of the word in the US is different than in the UK. In the US the term came to prominence during WWII, and was used as a slur. It has had these connotations ever since.

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    but a Japanese living in Japan would have trouble understanding their violent reactions, as the term would not be racist to him.

The Japanese I knew (living in Japan) were very offended by this word, and on one occasion become very violent indeed. Strange.

But whatever.. Im not trying to stir shit up. Just thought people should know "Jap" is offensive if they didn't already.

context people. Google Image JAP and you'll get all sorts of things, from pron to bars in Japan with that name. Also, when the Japanese national team is playing in Krautland this summer, the top of the screen will say JAP(0)-... at the top

But anyway, noted, I will not use it again on this board.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Also, when the Japanese national team is playing in Krautland this summer, the top of the screen will say JAP(0)-... at the top

You sure about that? The international abbreviation for Japan is JPN not "Jap."
    If you are right, that is not a good look for the German TV station. Also your context issue is not valid hommie. Anytime you use "Jap" it is not good.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Just thought people should know "Jap" is offensive if they didn't already.

...And so is the Sambo story, even if the Japanese seem/pretend to be pretty clueless about it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

...And so is the Sambo story, even if the Japanese seem/pretend to be pretty clueless about it.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Is that a sarcastic or a ?

P.S.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    If you are over 6'2" the Thing is the bomb. The Japs aren't bringing stepladders yet so they get

I am an Asian man and I didn't need a ladder. Step your game up, cracker.

The Japanese are great people and radical customers of mine. Don't hatt on them plaese.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    If you are over 6'2" the Thing is the bomb. The Japs aren't bringing stepladders yet so they get

The Japanese are great people and radical customers of mine. Don't hatt on them plaese.

Everytime I am at the Thing I get all concerned when an Asian guy looks at something ahead of me, but then, sure enough, every time I hear them listen to something it is always like Bob James or Isaac Hayes and I let off a sigh of relief. My favorite Thing customers are the old Polish guys. Nothing to worry about unless they get talkative after asking how the records are organized.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Everytime I am at the Thing I get all concerned when an Asian guy looks at something ahead of me, but then, sure enough, every time I hear them listen to something it is always like Bob James or Isaac Hayes and I let off a sigh of relief.

we do that to throw you off, hommie

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Everytime I am at the Thing I get all concerned when an Asian guy looks at something ahead of me, but then, sure enough, every time I hear them listen to something it is always like Bob James or Isaac Hayes and I let off a sigh of relief. My favorite Thing customers are the old Polish guys. Nothing to worry about unless they get talkative after asking how the records are organized.

For the love of God/Allah/Yahweh/Krishna/Buddha/Shiva/L. Ron/Bealzebub,

Can you all just stop it now.

Thank you.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Everytime I am at the Thing I get all concerned when an Asian guy looks at something ahead of me, but then, sure enough, every time I hear them listen to something it is always like Bob James or Isaac Hayes and I let off a sigh of relief.

we do that to throw you off, hommie

Mission accomplished. I shall step my in-the-paint defense.