Road trip this weekend. What's good in AZ/NM?

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I'm thinking of driving to santa fe-->albuquerque-->phoenix this weekend to get out with a friend. what's good at these places? i'm looking for food, nightlife, records, all that fun shit. decent affordable lodging, stuff like that. let me know what's good. not sure if i'm going yet but it's quite possible.

Comments

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    it'll be interesting if anyone chimes in - I asked this very question about A-butta two days ago. I did get some solid insight on the PM

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    yeah and PM is fine i'm not looking to put anybody's spots on blast. records honestly aren't my main concern, i wanna get fucked up and party 5/5 style. eat some bomb southwestern cuisine. thanks to anybody willing to help me out.

gb

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    this may not help too much, but my favourite eats in that area were (usually)unmarked one-room Mexican restaurants that had amazing fresh homemade food with super cheap beer. we usually guaged how good it might be from the number of cars parked out front...we were not disappointed at all.

yeah and PM is fine i'm not looking to put anybody's spots on blast. records honestly aren't my main concern, i wanna get fucked up and party 5/5 style. eat some bomb southwestern cuisine. thanks to anybody willing to help me out.

you'd think a spot that prides itself on community (see the heatrocks) would be more forthcomming on the parties/foodspots and all around chillness of their hoods...

oh and any info on any cinco de mayo festivities in any of those 3 locations would be lovely as well. where's all that southwest cultural hospitality i always hear about...

where's all that soulstrut cultural hospitality i always hear about...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I'm thinking of driving to santa fe-->albuquerque-->phoenix this weekend to get out with a friend. what's good at these places? i'm looking for food, nightlife, records, all that fun shit. decent affordable lodging, stuff like that. let me know what's good. not sure if i'm going yet but it's quite possible.

you didn't mention tucson, but if you make it down this way i have some records for trade/sale, so get at me if you are planning to come here. there are a couple of ok spots down here, but nothing to go nuts over. lots of good restaurants though.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    The PM has landed.

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts
    EAT SPOTS:

Santa Fe: diegos, daves not here, tomacitas, horseman haven, chimayo inn
    (recommended from a native Santa Fe dude)

Albuquerque: El Modelo, Los Cuates, Sadies, Little Anitas, Garcia's Kitchen,
    Frontier (24 hours late nite) (recommended from me- my hometown)

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This won't be of much help to anybody, but I gotta say, there are days when I really miss living in the Southwest. I went to school for two years in Montezuma, New Mexico, and completely fell in love with the atmosphere and the people. Has to be one of the most beautiful parts of the country as well. Las Vegas (NM), the city closest to where I went to school was a bit run-down, but certainly not without its charm. Man, there are parts of that state that feel practically untouched by modern society, and that's a rare and refreshing experience these days.

In my limited experience, I would recommend checking out pretty much any small, locally owned eatery you come acorss. At the very least you'll get some of the best salsa/green chile you've ever had, and a cheap beer or few

The only place in New Mexico that never really clicked with me was Santa Fe, or, as we at school called it, Fanta Se (get it?). Just too much of an over-zealous, ostentatious art scene for me to stomach. Still, I imagine there's some great food to be had, and more than enough to do at night for anyone travelling there.

thanks to all for the suggestions, last chance, if there are any more, hip me to the game. i'm heading out tomorrow afternoon. santa fe is the first stop and i am definitely going to check in quickly and go get a drink "or two".