unfiled records, how many?

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited December 2015 in Record Collecting
so how many records do you generally have outside of your main collection that you are listening to? You know, the ones usually stacked up next to the turntable and not filed away because you will listen again shortly. ...I know it sounds like a stupid question, but please humor me. I am kicking around some ideas for a small shelving unit, and need to get a rough idea as to how many LPs the thing should hold. thanks.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    See: All. Ask JP. Absurdity, I need to get my act together.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Right now everything I buy for the next month is not getting filed because I am about to move. I hate the transition because I know it will be a good three month before I am settled enough to organize.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    so how many records do you generally have outside of your main collection that you are listening to? You know, the ones usually stacked up next to the turntable and not filed away because you will listen again shortly.
    ...I know it sounds like a stupid question, but please humor me. I am kicking around some ideas for a small shelving unit, and need to get a rough idea as to how many LPs the thing should hold. thanks.

usually 100-150

i have a nice little unit with wheels that my mixer sits on top of and it has a space at the bottom for said LP's. Maybe I could flick it later and show you what I mean, it sounds great for what you need.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I just filed almost all my records last week. Now I just have two boxes of recently-purchased 45s that I'll be playing out, and about two boxes of jazz & soul LPs that need to be rotated back into my library. I love being organized, but having thousands of records in one room makes it tough.

Die Mafatlal!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I have no order to my records. It gets a little confusing.

The "need to listen to" stack is about 50-75

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm so hard up for space now, it's stupid. I have over 100 records that I don't have any space for, so they're on the floor and in piles. mixed in that is about 30 that I haven't even heard from start to finish. That number grows every time I clean up a bit and come across a few more that I need to listen to from start to end. I had two hours in NO on Sunday and made it to a couple of spots, so I just made it worse with 15 more.

I noticed Ikea has a single row version of the Expedit that looks real nice on its side - I might go for that.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I appreciate the responses, but I really need numbers.

Don't make me take pics! 500.

cool. so that means if I make this thing, your gonna buy about 5 of them right?

• well unfiled means not on shelves to me. so that means everything on the floor, whether its new stuff i've bought, records i have pulled for a particular mix or records i use to play out. that being said i have about 500.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    thousands.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I'm a little confused by the responses in here. I only have like 5-6 records next to my TT. Those are usually my last buys, all recently cleaned and ready to play. The rest of my records is on my shelves, each within a poly outter sleeve.
    Treat your records the way you would like to be treated if you were a record.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm a little confused by the responses in here. I only have like 5-6 records next to my TT. Those are usually my last buys, all recently cleaned and ready to play. The rest of my records is on my shelves, each within a poly outter sleeve.

My records are not my family. They can deal.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I keep my family members in poly bags.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I keep my family members in poly bags.

Oh yeah? My wife has been hanging on my wall for a week now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    admittedly, piling them is not nice, but i'm not using them as coasters either. unfiled doesn't mean unloved.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    unfiled doesn't mean unloved.

Quote of the day (in an esoteric Soulstrut kinda way).

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Most of my good/playable records are on my floor or in crates on the floor. The shelves are where my records go to die.

DJ Ferrari

• I have a couple of hundred 45s that I have to refile. I pulled them out for the blog, and to make mix CDs and now I have to get them all re-sorted and re-boxed (if only for their own safety)...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I have a shelf for my unfiled records. So in a way I guess they are filed... It's my speed rack. My new scores rack. ir you will...I got the shelf system from IKEA. Will show pics if needed.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    ALL OF THEM!!!!!

• dude, buy one extra milk crate and one of those long white boxes from Roadhouse for 45s, and then have a rule that you can only have as many un-filed records out as can fit in your crate/45 box. Then you won't go crazy unless you do a large purchase.

If you need an extram ilk crate, I have one now so let me know.

dude, buy one extra milk crate and have a rule that you can only have as many un-filed records out as can fit in your crate. Then you won't go crazy unless you do a large purchase.

If you need an extra, I have one now so let me know.

I dont think you understand why I am asking. I am hoping to get an average amount of records that other collectors have outside of their main horde. Id like to design a piece of furniture which will house these 'strays'.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    About 300 of em that are my faves and don't fit in the full expedite.

• Most of my good/playable records are on my floor or in crates on the floor. The shelves are where my records go to die.

DJ Ferrari

It's true. I haven't pulled a record from the shelves in a year or more. Anything on the ttable comes from the floor stacks.

I'm moving this weekend into a house twice as big as my old condo, but thinking of using it as an excuse to dump about 800 records. Ebay or trades to local shops, perhaps a combination of the two. Moving thousands of pounds of vinyl is no fun.

• I ran out of space in my expedits about 3 years ago so 700 to 1000 (I guess?) are piled up against the cabinets and against walls and in wardrobes and against guitar amps and.....

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have about 300 unfiled 45s that I have bought since February sitting in piles of about 60 balancing precariously on my CD racks. I also have around 250 unfiled LPs stuffed into a shelf by my bedroom door, some of them I bought over a year ago & still haven't listened to yet

• dude, buy one extra milk crate and have a rule that you can only have as many un-filed records out as can fit in your crate. Then you won't go crazy unless you do a large purchase.

If you need an extra, I have one now so let me know.

I dont think you understand why I am asking. I am hoping to get an average amount of records that other collectors have outside of their main horde. Id like to design a piece of furniture which will house these 'strays'.

Oops, sorry man I misinterpreted that. Well, I guess it would be cool to design something that would house 75LPs and 20045s for temp use.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

that's a nice thought, but if you're djing 2-3 times a week (w/ nights of totally different musics) and you're on a tight schedule, you're gonna have some shit lying around... that said, i'm getting out of control and have about 10-15 crates worth of stuff lying around in stacks... i'm using thursday night to get my fucking act together (and to simply make a "frequent rotation" shelf w/ shit i play out all the time, rather than re-sort, say, Off the Wall, back into the disco section every week...