NOZ SPEAKS THE TRUTH

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The blogosphere.... do blogs really affect anything at all?

your disposition.

[reynaldo]and my bank account[/reynaldo]

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Well I enjoyed Noz's vitriol - having heard the album I would say it deserves a good ripping apart. However, I don't really see this album affecting hip hop per say as Cee Lo barely even raps on it - in fact I would expect this to be listed in the dance section of stores rather than the rap. Just because the two guys involved have a background in hip hop doesn't necessarily mean that everything they touch has to be put in this genre.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I think most people agree that outside of "Crazy" and that other song the rest of the music is crap. Seems like people are trying to do something different finally, now the next step is to make something different but, uh, good.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My question would be: how is a wannabe hipster who tries to define himself by stuff he likes worse than a wannabe hipster who tries to define himself by what he thinks he's too good to like?

And this idea that rap isn't allowed to fuse itself with other genres of music = idiotic.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I just cant believe you underground dudes arent even a little salty at this dangermouse clown.

Lets look at his track record here.

1. Blows up all over cnn and shit for butchering 2 classic records into some abhorantly gimmicky "mashup". Formally opens the doors for linkin park to do the same thing with their terd emo-core and get grammy's in the process.

2. Recruited to produce the second gorillaz record. Probably the best example of post rap conceptual masterbation that ever caught the eye of easily duped music journalists. Also nominated for years best producer for this terd.

3. Turns MF Doom into a Walking Cartoon Planet commercial.

4. Gets with cee-lo to make some Moby album myspace phenomenon, ensuring once and for all that we will never get another goodie mob album. Or worse, one thats produced by eff-ing dangermouse.

Im sorry, but the dude is just a burden to decent music and he needs to go back to techno.

This post is the divine truth directly from God, who used Bsides as His instrument to inscribe it upon the pages of SoulStrut.

And, no, I have never heard any of the music that God is discussing in this post.

• And this idea that rap isn't allowed to fuse itself with other genres of music = idiotic.

Agree. But, just because it is rap fused with another music does not necessarily make it good. I think that is part of the problem- a knee jerk judgement that rapping over rock/techno/exotica else is a step forward over rapping over records and a drum machine.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

And this idea that rap isn't allowed to fuse itself with other genres of music = idiotic.

Agree. But, just because it is rap fused with another music does not necessarily make it good. I think that is part of the problem- a knee jerk judgement that rapping over rock/techno/exotica else is a step forward over rapping over records and a drum machine.

Yup.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Well you do have folks - like our own Dizzy Bull - who are just tired of the rap music. So when someone fuses it with psych, or house, or whatever the next one will be, it gives them the ability to enjoy rapping, while not having to face their new and strange dislike of music that they used to be into.

Also, there are a lot of music journalists who never "got" rap music and every record like this makes them feel a little more "with it".

while not having to face their new and strange dislike of music that they used to be into.

NEW AND STRANGE FEELINGS REVEALED!

• Also, there are a lot of music journalists who never "got" rap music and every record like this makes them feel a little more "with it".

Now its my turn...

Yup.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    while not having to face their new and strange dislike of music that they used to be into.

NEW AND STRANGE FEELINGS REVEALED!

lol

I think that is part of the problem- a knee jerk judgement that rapping over rock/techno/exotica else is a step forward over rapping over records and a drum machine.

But these same kinda people who think that consider the latest emo crap as the best rock ever and that anything from the country music genre trumps even the best from the rap genre. They're Deadheads and dingbats.

So stop validating their lame arguments by overeacting to them.

• I think that is part of the problem- a knee jerk judgement that rapping over rock/techno/exotica else is a step forward over rapping over records and a drum machine.

But these same kinda people who think that consider the latest emo crap as the best rock ever and that anything from the country music genre trumps even the best from the rap genre. They're Deadheads and dingbats.

I don't think that saying their criticism is bad is an overreaction. And, considering that it is pervasive among mainstream critics, calling them out on this should be seen as necessary, not an overreaction.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Someone from a country that doesn't matter writes;

a number one record (even in a country that doesn???t matter)

It's a number one record because it's a good song. I think noz makes a lot of good points, but too many of them seem to be at the expense of the people most likely to buy/like/sing the praises of the Gnarls album. For what it's worth, I think it's OK, but I don't share noz's assessment that it's been focus-grouped for ad agencies and such like - it just sounds like two musicians doing what they feel like. Besides, as I said in the other Gnarls thread, a) it's not a rap/hip-hop record anyway and b) the kind of people who bought Moby's "Play" are its most likely audience, which begs the question; why act like it's taking sales/shine from, say, E-40 or T.I.? There's a long and illustrious history of writers and consumers alike refusing to accept rap music on its own terms but, by the same token, there's a similar history of rap writers and consumers turning on those acts who decide they want to expand their musical horizons a little. I couldn't care less for either group, personally, but it is interesting to note that ascetic purists now seem to come both with and without backpacks. Either way, the single's sold nearly half-a-million in the UK [good job the royalty checks count, even if the country doesn't /], and the album will probably follow suit, both here and elsewhere. Good luck to those of you who won't have to work hard to avoid it.

I think that is part of the problem- a knee jerk judgement that rapping over rock/techno/exotica else is a step forward over rapping over records and a drum machine.

I don't think that saying their criticism is bad is an overreaction. And, considering that it is pervasive among mainstream critics, calling them out on this should be seen as necessary, not an overreaction.

Implying a rule that anytime a rapper rhymes over a guitar or a techno beat that it's an slap in the face to true hip-hop is the overreaction.

Assuming the power to make people who like Gnarls Barkley suddenly stop liking Gnarls Barkley is also part of that.

Also, leave it to real gangstas to proclaim "keep it gangsta".

The way it looks to me, Noz is only trying (really hard all of the time) to accentuate the mere half-a-step ahead of the game he may or may not be...as in, "look at those stupid hipsters" as a way to draw attention away from his own internal stupid hipster.

Implying a rule that anytime a rapper rhymes over a guitar or a techno beat that it's an slap in the face to true hip-hop is the overreaction.

Assuming the power to make people who like Gnarls Barkley suddenly stop liking Gnarls Barkley is also part of that.

The way it looks to me, Noz is only trying (really hard all of the time) to accentuate the mere half-a-step ahead of the game he may or may not be...as in, "look at those stupid hipsters" as a way to draw attention away from his own internal stupid hipster.

Why does Noz excite such a tingle in you?

This mentality is far more pervasize than you realize...

Why does Noz excite such a tingle in you?

He's an infiltrateur.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

do you read my shit or do you just skim through it?

huh?

• Someone from a country that doesn't matter writes;

a number one record (even in a country that doesn???t matter)

It's a number one record because it's a good song. I think noz makes a lot of good points, but too many of them seem to be at the expense of the people most likely to buy/like/sing the praises of the Gnarls album. For what it's worth, I think it's OK, but I don't share noz's assessment that it's been focus-grouped for ad agencies and such like - it just sounds like two musicians doing what they feel like. Besides, as I said in the other Gnarls thread, a) it's not a rap/hip-hop record anyway and b) the kind of people who bought Moby's "Play" are its most likely audience, which begs the question; why act like it's taking sales/shine from, say, E-40 or T.I.? There's a long and illustrious history of writers and consumers alike refusing to accept rap music on its own terms but, by the same token, there's a similar history of rap writers and consumers turning on those acts who decide they want to expand their musical horizons a little. I couldn't care less for either group, personally, but it is interesting to note that ascetic purists now seem to come both with and without backpacks. Either way, the single's sold nearly half-a-million in the UK [good job the royalty checks count, even if the country doesn't /], and the album will probably follow suit, both here and elsewhere. Good luck to those of you who won't have to work hard to avoid it.

underrated post.

At this point, I'm only picking up the confused brown aura of your work.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

might that be a cue for you to get off my dick?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

might that be a cue for you to get off my dick?

...and tell his bitch to come here?
    What
    Would
    Ice Cube
    Do?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    At this point, I'm only picking up the confused brown[/b] aura of your work.

might that be a cue for you to get off my dick?[/b]

Wait....

Does this imply that you have been fucking him in the ass?

Confused on whether or not to insert "ayo".....

Anyways, I think sometimes HJ plays "hipster" music. She played death cab for cutie last night. It was in the other room, but from where I was (in the living room watching The Hills Have Eyes video camera bootleg on the laptop with my headphones on) it sounded OK to me.

Also, for those who don't care for Gnarls but are interested in something different, I highly reccemend this:

I've been bumpin it in the whip a lot lately.....

• Gnarls Barkley=Not black enough for a white kid from the jersey suburbs.

but I agree with what you said, especially with Dangermous being a mediocre producer (at best).

but yo.

from a country that doesn't matter

typical selfish american attitude. a real good look for you.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts

DJ Enuff has been playing Gnarls' "Crazy" pretty enthusiastically for the past week or two during his drive-time mixshow on Hot 97 in NYC - rewinds, airhorns, etc.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    NOZ'S BLOG ETHERING OF GNARLES BARKLEY > GNARLES BARKLEY

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

DJ Enuff has been playing Gnarls' "Crazy" pretty enthusiastically for the past week or two during his drive-time mixshow on Hot 97 in NYC - rewinds, airhorns, etc.

It's a number one record because it's a good song.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    A colorful & entertaining piece of writing.

more than a touch of 'Dylan goes electric' Judas-calling for sure.

the underlying belief that hip-hop is the be-all & end-all of music is charmingly naive.

and now a word from the future savior of raps...

Total clarity.

Marco, I'm assuming your posts in this thread are meant to put some distance between yourself now and the you that created a magazine that seemed to have a good chunk devoted to rampant hatteration?

That's not the sole purpose of my posts, but yes, I will admit that Marco of 2006 is somewhat different than the Mark D of 1994. What can I say. You got me.

YOUTHFUL ZINEWANKERY REVEALED

This was a real magazine that cost money though, with a nice layout. Quality read, too.