NOZ SPEAKS THE TRUTH

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Marco, I'm assuming your posts in this thread are meant to put some distance between yourself now and the you that created a magazine that seemed to have a good chunk devoted to rampant hatteration?

That's not the sole purpose of my posts, but yes, I will admit that Marco of 2006 is somewhat different than the Mark D of 1994. What can I say. You got me.

YOUTHFUL ZINEWANKERY REVEALED

This was a real magazine that cost money though, with a nice layout. Quality read, too.

Yngwie Malmsteen's albums cost money and had "nice" layouts too, but I'd still call them wankery

j/k I'm sure it was very well done and angry.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Marco, I'm assuming your posts in this thread are meant to put some distance between yourself now and the you that created a magazine that seemed to have a good chunk devoted to rampant hatteration?

That's not the sole purpose of my posts, but yes, I will admit that Marco of 2006 is somewhat different than the Mark D of 1994. What can I say. You got me.

YOUTHFUL ZINEWANKERY REVEALED

This was a real magazine that cost money though, with a nice layout. Quality read, too.

Yngwie Malmsteen's albums cost money and had "nice" layouts too, but I'd still call them wankery

j/k I'm sure it was very well done and angry.

I think we need to see some scans.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I think we need to see some scans.

In 1994 while most of you were doing your 6th grade homework, I was publishing this magazine for the sole purpose of being clowned about it on SoulStrut 12 years later. Cheers!

Polvo & Shocking Blue interviews.

Thee Hypnotics and SciFi author Lewis Shiner interviews.

Blonde Redhead and animal rights feminist Carol Adams interviews, Fran??oise Hardy appreciation.

Interviews with Chrome Cranks, Royal Trux, two Sonic Youth drummers, DJ Hurricane, graphic designer Art Chantry, Guided By Voices, Love 666, Big Chief, and Mule. Arthur Lee tour diary by drummer Lyle Hysen.

There was indeed a lot of hatteration within its pages as DigDug indicated, directed mostly at the Pavement & Sebadoh soundalikes prevalent at the time. There were not, however, any 10+ paragraph diatribes against any one artist. Instead I would shoot off a condescending one-sentence zinger at the offending musical item, then moved on to talking about something that made me look cool.

b/w

DON'T TET MY HIPSTER GANGSTA

• Interviews with Chrome Cranks, Royal Trux, two Sonic Youth drummers, DJ Hurricane, graphic designer Art Chantry, Guided By Voices, Love 666, Big Chief, and Mule. Arthur Lee tour diary by drummer Lyle Hysen.

Hey! I had this issue. I think I bought it for the Art Chantry stuff and the article by Lyle Hysen (my brother was in a band with Lyle).

Great design!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Chrome Cranks

so good and sexy and dirty!

Chrome Cranks

That's awesome you've even heard of those dudes! They were definitely my favorites at the time (still are) - just such an incredible live band and their records, especially their first LP - were not only gritty but catchy & noir-like. That last issue of my magazine included a live Cranks 45, and they stayed at our house all three times they played down here. Peter the singer was even indirectly responsible for my starting to DJ, as he took me to Frank Roth's VAMPYROS LESBOS party in NYC in 1998 which put the idea in my head that a club night could actually have good music.

All them Cranks dudes were really nice and I still keep in touch with Peter; talked with him just the other month in fact.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm totally disconnected from the blogmyspacosphere, so I don't know anything about the apparent hype, and I'm perfectly comfortable that way. I've only heard "Crazy" and "Smiley Faces" which I found to be good songs. They didn't make me cream my pants, but they're good songs nonetheless. I could imagine that the rest of the album might be , but I'll wait on passing judgement until I've actually heard it, because I am a mere mortal without the E.S.P. (Extra Salty Preconception) that comes with +10000 posts on a message board.

And kill all that hipster talk already. I've seen the mug shots and party pics and I'd say there's a fair share of individuals on here who fit the description.

Blogwriting webdesigning bowlcut emofos

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Chrome Cranks

Best Scientists rip off band ever! And I mean that sincerely, not in a mean way.

Interviews with Chrome Cranks, Royal Trux, two Sonic Youth drummers, DJ Hurricane, graphic designer Art Chantry, Guided By Voices, Love 666, Big Chief, and Mule. Arthur Lee tour diary by drummer Lyle Hysen.

Hey! I had this issue. I think I bought it for the Art Chantry stuff and the article by Lyle Hysen (my brother was in a band with Lyle).

Great design!

May I say that amongst 'Garage Rock' types (for lack of a better descriptor) like F16, SoulMarcossa and myself, 'hatting' was a bit of a way of life in the early 90s! It came with the territory of roaming a completely different musical and cultural landscape than what was widely enjoyed or even accepted by the mainstream at the time. What was even more fun was hating 'within the scene'! I mean, it's what makes any scene fun! Nothing motivates people to do better than their inner "Oh Yeah?!"

So people need to loose their inner cranks and produce some negative commentary about the state of things! Seriously, Noz's shit in this thread and the "Talib Kweli Diaper Rash" thread are the most fun I have had on this site in a looooong time. but then again, my double time flowz are pretty wack. But I do have an album!

May I say that amongst 'Garage Rock' types (for lack of a better descriptor) like F16, SoulMarcossa and myself, 'hatting' was a bit of a way of life in the early 90s! It came with the territory of roaming a completely different musical and cultural landscape than what was widely enjoyed or even accepted by the mainstream at the time. What was even more fun was hating 'within the scene'! I mean, it's what makes any scene fun! Nothing motivates people to do better than their inner "Oh Yeah?!"

So people need to loose their inner cranks and produce some negative commentary about the state of things! Seriously, Noz's shit in this thread and the "Talib Kweli Diaper Rash" thread are the most fun I have had on this site in a looooong time. but then again, my double time flowz are pretty wack. But I do have an album!

Seriously.

I am not at all feeling this relentless positivity schitt.

May I say that amongst 'Garage Rock' types (for lack of a better descriptor) like F16, SoulMarcossa and myself, 'hatting' was a bit of a way of life in the early 90s! It came with the territory of roaming a completely different musical and cultural landscape than what was widely enjoyed or even accepted by the mainstream at the time.

IN A FUCKING NUTSHELL. THANK YOU.

And one of the best "hatting" zines out there was MOTORBOOTY, which went as far as to have "trading cards" of the lamest rap/metal bands out at the time. Hilarious!

The problem for me was that sometime around 2000, a lot of that once-focused sarcastic condescension was adopted by newer publications/writers/people that didn't have the best aesthetic judgment. Soon, lame music was being defended by carpetbagging, um, HIPSTERS, while great music was being made fun of by people who had no taste or clue.

Between that trend and my turning into an official "old man," around that time I decided it was time to leave the sarcastic condescension behind. Well except for a few parting shots at Roy Ayers, disco, and DJ Shadow.

Now I listen to everything and love everything and any critical credibility I use to have is now in the terlet.

"I love that Gnarls Barkley fellow!"

May I say that amongst 'Garage Rock' types (for lack of a better descriptor) like F16, SoulMarcossa and myself, 'hatting' was a bit of a way of life in the early 90s! It came with the territory of roaming a completely different musical and cultural landscape than what was widely enjoyed or even accepted by the mainstream at the time.

IN A FUCKING NUTSHELL. THANK YOU.

And one of the best "hatting" zines out there was MOTORBOOTY, which went as far as to have "trading cards" of the lamest rap/metal bands out at the time. Hilarious!

The problem for me was that sometime around 2000, a lot of that once-focused sarcastic condescension was adopted by newer publications/writers/people that didn't have the best aesthetic judgment. Soon, lame music was being defended by carpetbagging, um, HIPSTERS, while great music was being made fun of by people who had no taste or clue.

Between that trend and my turning into an official "old man," around that time I decided it was time to leave the sarcastic condescension behind. Well except for a few parting shots at Roy Ayers, disco, and DJ Shadow.

Now I listen to everything and love everything and any critical credibility I use to have is now in the terlet.

"I love that Gnarls Barkley fellow!"

Motorbooty was hilarious! I would love to again read the interview with the Bozo the Clown frnchise owner who had Tourette's Syndrome! "Cockballs!"

I too have gotten kinder and gentler in my old age, but I do think it behooves the youger generation to sometimes have to form their own opinions while under fire from people who can actually back up why some music just empirically, objectively SUCKS ASS. They will come out better for it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I too have gotten kinder and gentler in my old age, but I do think it behooves the youger generation to sometimes have to form their own opinions while under fire from people who can actually back up why some music just empirically, objectively SUCKS ASS. They will come out better for it.

Well, marco certainly did his part back in the early 90s by shitting on whatever grunge/indie rock my brother and I were checking out and encouraging us to dig into some Stooges-ripoffs instead

I definitely agree that in these days and times INFORMED HATTING is

Well, marco certainly did his part back in the early 90s by shitting on whatever grunge/indie rock my brother and I were checking out and encouraging us to dig into some Stooges-ripoffs instead

I'm still waiting for you to thank me for that, BTW.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    ... and, to bring it back to a soulstrut state of affairs rant, the biggest problem here is that people want to have opinions about shit but aren't well-enough informed, well-enough read or listened to know when something's classic and when something's crap.

The breed of critics that were able to write informed diatribes and simultaneously endorse great alternatives is dying and you have a ton of folks who have very little to say of substance - positive or negative - but get very defensive when their favorite band/artist gets dissed.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    NOZ'S BLOG ETHERING OF GNARLES BARKLEY > GNARLES BARKLEY

Most of your "ethering" is directed towards the fans of gnarls barkley, which makes little sense, considering that a majority of them have only heard "Crazy". You listened to a leaked copy of the album and think its garbage, right? Why don't you wait until other people do before you cast judgement on them based on your prediction that they will?

I also don't appreciate how it has become the norm for rap critics/fans to trash anything that isn't street approved.

You really think Nerd's album was despicable, what are you comparing it to? Snap music?

You really think Nerd's album was despicable, what are you comparing it to? Snap music?

Compared to ANY music, it was despicable.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Chrome Cranks

That's awesome you've even heard of those dudes! They were definitely my favorites at the time (still are) - just such an incredible live band and their records, especially their first LP - were not only gritty but catchy & noir-like. That last issue of my magazine included a live Cranks 45, and they stayed at our house all three times they played down here. Peter the singer was even indirectly responsible for my starting to DJ, as he took me to Frank Roth's VAMPYROS LESBOS party in NYC in 1998 which put the idea in my head that a club night could actually have good music.

All them Cranks dudes were really nice and I still keep in touch with Peter; talked with him just the other month in fact.

Some Kinda Crime is a certified panty melter:

I enjoy(ed) the Knoxville Girls too - great live show.

Most of your "ethering" is directed towards the fans of gnarls barkley, which makes little sense, considering that a majority of them have only heard "Crazy". You listened to a leaked copy of the album and think its garbage, right? Why don't you wait until other people do before you cast judgement on them based on your prediction that they will?

Pretty much everyone that has an interest in that terd has already heard and reacted to it, dude--join us in the 21st century.

And he obviously focused his ethering energies on the project's fans because the popular reception of the album is much more interesting than the album itself.

Is there even an argument? I imagine that even the hipsters who embraced the project in 2001 because they were excited to hear Chad and Pharrell try their hand at "real music" have now realized their error.

One of the worst albums I have ever heard.

I think I need to say it again: one of the worst albums I have ever heard.

Most of your "ethering" is directed towards the fans of gnarls barkley, which makes little sense, considering that a majority of them have only heard "Crazy". You listened to a leaked copy of the album and think its garbage, right? Why don't you wait until other people do before you cast judgement on them based on your prediction that they will?[/b]

Where in the hell is the fun in that? getting the drop on folls is critical if you are "in it to win it"!

• it is interesting to note that ascetic purists now seem to come both with and without backpacks.

it is interesting to note that ascetic purists now seem to come both with and without backpacks.

it is interesting to note that ascetic purists now seem to come both with and without backpacks.

underrated post.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    someone please direct cee lo back to organized noise so he can finally put out a good album

underrated post.

"ascetic purists" = monks???

Dudes need to get their vocabulary game up before they try to talk slick.

Dudes should also try actually reading the piece before whining about "aesthetic purism"

Pretty much everyone that has an interest in that terd has already heard and reacted to it, dude--join us in the 21st century.

And he obviously focused his ethering energies on the project's fans because the popular reception of the album is much more interesting than the album itself.

Right, because if Gnarls Barkley has thousands of myspace friends, that must mean that they all have signed an oath supporting the entire album.

You don't like Crazy?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Is there even an argument? I imagine that even the hipsters who embraced the project in 2001 because they were excited to hear Chad and Pharrell try their hand at "real music" have now realized their error.

LOL... I'm jealous if thats really one of the worst things you've ever heard

I've NEVER heard the version commercially released in this country, but the promo version (i.e. all synths, no band) had at least a couple cuts on it. But no, I haven't listened to it in a few years and never bothered to check out the follow-up.

• it is interesting to note that ascetic purists now seem to come both with and without backpacks.

underrated post.

"ascetic purists" = monks???

Dudes need to get their vocabulary game up before they try to talk slick.

Dudes should also try actually reading the piece before whining about "aesthetic purism"

Dude it doesn't matter, he's from the UK. Don't get mad.

I read it though. Noz sounds ass-hurt. Move along folks nothing else to say or read about it.

There were hipsters in 2001? Nerd's first album was solid. stop hating. did you like frontin'?

That statement may be true, but keithvanhorn has a point: we still haven't seen the reaction of those who aren't necessarily interested or aware of GB but are the most poised to determine the project's financial success: the great North American unwashed (unblogged) mainstream music audience. I'm speaking of those whose frame of reference is little more than MTV, BET, their local top-40 station, and what songs their local club DJ can get away with playing before having to honor said unwashed's requests to "play 'go shorty it's your birthday.'"

I have yet to see a video or radio play on mainstream outlets, so there's probably a lot of music listeners out there for whom BG (and their members' history) is completely meaningless as of right now.

That statement may be true, but keithvanhorn has a point: we still haven't seen the reaction of those who aren't necessarily interested or aware of GB but are the most poised to determine the project's financial success: the great North American unwashed (unblogged) mainstream music audience.

I'm not sure that we will. This seems like a project whose appeal is limited to the British and to the type of American the posts on www.okayplayer.com.