NOZ SPEAKS THE TRUTH

Comments

• i like the piece because it's funny, provocative and well-written. i think Noz goes a little overboard with some of his critical judgments-- there was enough superfluous hatting to fill a byron crawford post-- but it's nice to see someone call bullshit on the hype machine.

favorite snippy aside:

a number one record (even in a country that doesn???t matter)

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    his piece isn't superfluous, isn't gratuitous and isn't unnecessary.

Actually it is quite gratuitous, which is why I think it's getting a cold reception here. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

What's gratuitous about it?t.

Oh I don't know. Maybe the fact that he wrote THIRTEEN PARAGRAPHS about how bad a record is. That's undeniably gratuitious no matter what record is being discussed.

Don't get me wrong - I don't necessarily disagree with his sentiments; I've got a 5-song promo for the album and haven't even bothered listening to the other three songs. But after about the 5th paragraph mark, such harsh criticism comes across less as critique and more as personal vendetta, which diminishes the impact of his piece IMO.

in other words

i like the piece because it's funny, provocative and well-written.

YES

i think Noz goes a little overboard with some of his critical judgments

YES

there was enough superfluous hatting to fill a byron crawford post

YES

but it's nice to see someone call bullshit on the hype machine.

YES

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    his piece isn't superfluous, isn't gratuitous and isn't unnecessary.

Actually it is quite gratuitous, which is why I think it's getting a cold reception here. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

What's gratuitous about it?t.

Oh I don't know. Maybe the fact that he wrote THIRTEEN PARAGRAPHS about how bad a record is. That's undeniably gratuitious no matter what record is being discussed.

Don't get me wrong - I don't necessarily disagree with his sentiments; I've got a 5-song promo for the album and haven't even bothered listening to the other three songs. But after about the 5th paragraph mark, such harsh criticism comes across less as critique and more as personal vendetta, which diminishes the impact of his piece IMO.

Your beef is with the number of paragraphs? Jeezus, M**k.

your beef is with the number of paragraphs? Jeezus, M**k.

Let me put it this way, if this was the entire review:

It ranges from innocuous car commercial music to indulgent car commercial music to music that would be best suited for a car commercial.

I would think Noz was a genius.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    But after about the 5th paragraph mark, such harsh criticism comes across less as critique and more as personal vendetta, which diminishes the impact of his piece IMO.

Well in all fairness, that's also about the point where i stop talking about gnarls specifically and place it in the larger and disturbing trend of post-rap. But you're partially correct. I do have a personal vendetta against bad music. And if i can't write gratuitously on the internet where can i write gratuitously?

additionally marco, i feel obligated to say that i primarily write about the music that i DO like, but for some reason positivity doesn't get these ass hurt little dudes chirping okayplayer threads to ten pages like that, so i could see how you might have missed it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    A bit hypocritical coming from a Lester Bangs fan...

But after about the 5th paragraph mark, such harsh criticism comes across less as critique and more as personal vendetta, which diminishes the impact of his piece IMO.

Well in all fairness, that's also about the point where i stop talking about gnarls specifically and place it in the larger and disturbing trend of post-rap. But you're partially correct. I do have a personal vendetta against bad music. And if i can't write gratuitously on the internet where can i write gratuitously?

additionally marco, i feel obligated to say that i primarily write about the music that i DO like, but for some reason positivity doesn't get these ass hurt little dudes chirping okayplayer threads to ten pages like that, so i could see how you might have missed it.

I'm down with that.

A bit hypocritical coming from a Lester Bangs fan...

Hey, I dig his stuff too but as I recall, his pieces on Lou Reed & Barry White were pretty gratuitous IMO as well.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Gnarles Barkley is Hip-Hop?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I just cant believe you underground dudes arent even a little salty at this dangermouse clown.

Lets look at his track record here.

1. Blows up all over cnn and shit for butchering 2 classic records into some abhorantly gimmicky "mashup". Formally opens the doors for linkin park to do the same thing with their terd emo-core and get grammy's in the process.

2. Recruited to produce the second gorillaz record. Probably the best example of post rap conceptual masterbation that ever caught the eye of easily duped music journalists. Also nominated for years best producer for this terd.

3. Turns MF Doom into a Walking Cartoon Planet commercial.

4. Gets with cee-lo to make some Moby album myspace phenomenon, ensuring once and for all that we will never get another goodie mob album. Or worse, one thats produced by eff-ing dangermouse.

Im sorry, but the dude is just a burden to decent music and he needs to go back to techno.

• This stuff aside, I think that the main problem with this article is not the critical argument that Noz presents (which is pretty spot-on) but that fact that it gets lost because his primary concern seems to be to position himself above close-minded rockist critics, which is the kind of posturing that makes most internet based music criticism unreadable.

Well, I don't think that positioning is really that pretentious, as he seems to do it in regards to Hip Hop. He should be, and is, above closed minded rock critics when it comes to writing critically about hip hop. If he were arguing how this album and trend affects the upcoming releases by Pearl Jam or the Killers, that would seem suspect. But, his argument is framed within the context of hip hop, which makes it totally acceptable, IMO.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    WHo's lester bangs?

• 1. Blows up all over cnn and shit for butchering 2 classic records into some abhorantly gimmicky "mashup". Formally opens the doors for linkin park to do the same thing with their terd emo-core and get grammy's in the process.

2. Recruited to produce the second gorillaz record. Probably the best example of post rap conceptual masterbation that ever caught the eye of easily duped music journalists. Also nominated for years best producer for this terd.

3. Turns MF Doom into a Walking Cartoon Planet commercial.

4. Gets with cee-lo to make some Moby album myspace phenomenon, ensuring once and for all that we will never get another goodie mob album. Or worse, one thats produced by eff-ing dangermouse.

1. Liked it. Good concept and followed through with an interesting product. Beatles and Hova together, it's like jelly in a peanut butter ocean.

2. Never liked Gorillaz.

3. MF Doom was conceived as a live action rap cartoon character. Why the hatt for making a commercial? He's got to get paid too.

4. Haven't checked #4 yet, but 2 out of the first 3 isn't a bad track record.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I just cant believe you underground dudes arent even a little salty at this dangermouse clown.

Are there even any "underground dudes" on Soulstrut?

WHo's lester bangs?

I certainly hope I can file this one under "Bsides likes getting you internet folls wound up."

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    WHo's lester bangs?

I certainly hope I can file this one under "Bsides likes getting you internet folls wound up."

I'd be surprised if Bsides had heard of Bangs...

Marco, I'm assuming your posts in this thread are meant to put some distance between yourself now and the you that created a magazine that seemed to have a good chunk devoted to rampant hatteration?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The blogosphere.... do blogs really affect anything at all? I read a few about Korea and thats about it. So weird. Crazy is a fantastic song, and if you don't like it then you obviously never liked soul music in the first place. The rest of what I heard was pretty stupid. I blame dangermouse since I know cee-lo can sing good. And "the stark minimalism of snap music" as an "inovation"??? puhhhhhhlease.... I bet if you said that to the dudes that made snap music they would just stare at you like a lunatic or something.

How's this for a counter argument (I'm serious):

People are so fricking tired of soundalike kiddy rap that they cream their pants at anything that tries to be different, no matter how bad it is.

Thats my theory.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

In the time that it takes you to read this at least one forward thinking 17 year old white kid who wears tight Mars Volta t-shirts will have probably sent a friend a message along the lines of ???OMG Did you see the one where they dressed up like characters from Napoleon Dynamite? We quote that movie all the time. And the name, Gnarls Barkley, is so clever, get it? Remember Charles Barkley? He played basketball. I???m not sure what Gnarls means, but those guys are so funny. Did you see that there???s a song called ???Go-Go Gadget Gospel??? - remember Inspector Gadget? That???s soo funny that they remember it too. I sure do like the way they reference something or someone that that I remember but haven???t thought about in a little while, and then they put a twist on it. ??? Gnarls Barkley kills it with the lame non-sequitor pop culture references like a ???rap??? Seth McFarlane**.

What's funny to me is that describes to the tee a student who walked into my office a couple years back and told me to check out a music blog called "Cocaine Blunts". He lent me something called "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" on DVD that I haven't yet watched. He was from Philly. Nice kid.

Marco, I'm assuming your posts in this thread are meant to put some distance between yourself now and the you that created a magazine that seemed to have a good chunk devoted to rampant hatteration?

That's not the sole purpose of my posts, but yes, I will admit that Marco of 2006 is somewhat different than the Mark D of 1994. What can I say. You got me.

People are so fricking tired of soundalike kiddy rap that they cream their pants at anything that tries to be different, no matter how bad it is.

Thats my theory.

Dizzy, you devote over half your posts now to discussing about how much you hate rap music. How exactly is your opinion on it supposed to be at all relevant?

That's not the sole purpose of my posts, but yes, I will admit that Marco of 2006 is somewhat different than the Mark D of 1994. What can I say. You got me.

I suppose Love Battery is safe then

...you might wanna take into consideration that rap purist Noz is probably about the same age as rock purist Marco who made that mag.

No, some things do NOT change. Their good song count still remains at exactly one.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

No, some things do NOT change. Their good song count still remains at exactly one.

Is it "Foot?" Cause that's the only song
    I know by them, but I really loved it! (Sub Pop Sampler related)

YOUTHFUL ZINEWANKERY REVEALED

Are there even any "underground dudes" on Soulstrut?

What is an "underground dude," exactly.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    if i can't write gratuitously on the internet where can i write gratuitously?

For real - people need to read that, accept the truth of it, and then move the fuck on. Personally, I thought this rant by Noz ran a bit long too but that's endemic to the blogosphere in general (AND I AM NO EXCEPTION IN THIS REGARD).

If this appeared in print somewhere, that's a different story but it didn't.

For the record, I haven't heard the album one way or another but complaining about a blog post being gratuitious is like complaining that ice is cold.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Thats my theory.

Dizzy, you devote over half your posts now to discussing about how much you hate rap music. How exactly is your opinion on it supposed to be at all relevant?

My impeccible taste makes everything I do relevant.

My impeccible taste makes everything I do relevant.

Luckily you're not counting on your unimpeccable spelling.