Headed to Paris

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I'm headed to Paris May 4th through 14th. I did search that yeilded me plenty of potential record spots already. I was wondering if anyone can give me info on other shit I should check out like art, bars, clothing shops or just other cool shit I should do. Is it worth me bringing out funk 45s to trade? I hate carrying records to trade when travelling but if it is worth it, then I will bring the trade heat.Ideas people?

Comments

• DIE!

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    DIE!

Get a plane ticket and come rock it with me D*ve.
    We gotta get a DJ gig together there, International vinyl Gigolos!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    plaese to not sleep on this Lebanese restaurant. the chicken shawarma wrapped sandwich is that CRACK. do not sleep.

Al Dar

8-10, Rue Fr??d??ric Sauton
    75005 Paris (Latin Quarter)

Tel : 01 43 25 17 15
    Fax : 01 45 00 96 64

Metro Stop: Maubert/Mutualit?? (Ligne 10)

• DIE!

i am a little engaged with, well you know... um, opening a record store.

-------- new location

DIE!

-------- new location

M I N E ! ! ! ! !

DIE!

-------- new location

French raer stock mission!!!!

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    plaese to not sleep on this Lebanese restaurant. the chicken shawarma wrapped sandwich is that CRACK. do not sleep.

Al Dar

well since we're pimping restaurants and what not, i have to represent this place

Salon de Th?? Oriental - La Medina
    28 Rue de la Reine Blanche
    metro: Les Gobelins (right off of l'avenue des gobelins)

it's a badass tea house/hookah lounge. super friendly folks, great pastries, and open every day till like 2 am.

Al Dar

well since we're pimping restaurants and what not, i have to represent this place

Salon de Th?? Oriental - La Medina
    28 Rue de la Reine Blanche
    metro: Les Gobelins (right off of l'avenue des gobelins)

it's a badass tea house/hookah lounge. super friendly folks, great pastries, and open every day till like 2 am.

That sounds like something I would be interested in, thanks!

I like Lebanese but I am a vegetarian so chicken is out of the question for me.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

I was wondering if anyone can give me info on other shit I should check out like art, bars, clothing shops or just other cool shit I should do.

Ideas people?

Rodin's former residence is worth a visit - its like a museum these days

Pompidou centre - dunno what the current exhibts are, but this is one of the spots to peep, I saw a dope Hitchcock one there a few years back

Cemetary at Montparnesse - starngely captivating, the apt building below is right nearby

+ Sacre Cour, Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame

be sure to bitch a few danishes too, best in the world

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    If you're interested in some serious meals, I was a big fan of the new bistro movement of good chefs opening simple-ish restaurants for not-so-pricey set menus.. I usually went at lunch and had 3 courses and wine. I can't remember them all, but I went to:

C'Amelot, on Rue Amelot in le Marais, or 11ieme (can't remember). I stayed in the 11ieme, and found it to be a really good location.

Les Epicuriens du Marias (again, in the Marais)

L'Epi Dupin, on Rue Dupin (I think) in the 6th. I'm sure a Google search could dig some of these up... hmm, I'm drawing a blank on the rest... some others that I didn't get to but would've liked to (not sure if these all exist anymore)

La Regalade (I think kinda hard to get into)
    Chez Michel?
    L'Os a Moelle (still there?)
    Le Bamboche?

They're all french food, which isn't really a veg. friendly cuisine (lots of sweatbreads, things like veal kidneys, etc) but I really liked all that I ate from these sorts of places, so I would imagine that they could do veg. dishes well.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    ohh, I'll be in Paris in July, recommend some eats and drinks!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    the Picasso Museum is widely slept on.

small but excellent collection; awesome building.

if you've never seen any works from his classical period, which you likely haven't given his more extensive body of cubist work, that shit will blow your mind.

and there's a little Dali museum in Montmartre somewhere also.

and if you like the teahouse/hookah thing, check out la Grande Mosquee, the main mosque in Paris. little cafe in there got the comphy cushions and bomb baklava.

and since you're vegetarian, PLAESE to not sleep on l'As de Falafel on Rue Rivoli. That's that vegetarian crack (but miss it on Saturdays when those Jewish folls are closed).

• and there's a little Dali museum in Montmartre somewhere also.

Only time I was in Paris, I walked up to the front door of the Louvre only to discover it is closed on Tuesdays. WTF? I was leaving early Wednesday, so Plan B was getting over to the Dali spot. Well worth it. Weird "wind" music blowing through the whole place and quite a bit of his jewelry and other little known works. Have fun!

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    watch out for the grump running "oldies but goldies" store

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

haha that guy is definitely grumpy!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    be sure and check pawn shops(I dont know what they are called there however, just places with used cameras, tvs, stereos, etc) they usually have records in them...there is one near Rue de Bruxelles on the main drag, if you come out of the Blanche Metro look to your north west...

also be sure and hit all the little antique stores in montmarte(around sacre couer) records in those places as well.

also, on a nice day, be sure and stroll La promenade plant??e. it is close to the bastille and it is one of the nicest walks I have ever taken.

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    Les Catacombs

Much better than the Mona Lisa, get medieval in Paris, I was checking behind me for the boulder to start rolling, Indian Jones stylee!

• watch out for the grump running "oldies but goldies" store

I was looking through the crates and he kept asking me what I was looking for in French. Finally, he just told me to stop and basically said "This store isn't for browsing. Get out of my store if you aren't going to buy anything"

I was better off leaving anyway. Euro is murdering the dollar so the prices looked pretty bad.

I'm going to Tunisia this summer. Any record stores in Tangiers?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    The Rodan Museum is excellent. you can see 'the gates of hell' up close and personal and get your mind blown. i forget what 'hood, but its famous enough that people will be able to direct you (but not so famous that its overcrowded with clueless families etc).

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i remembered liking the record shop crocodisc.
    two large flea markets that had records.
    tons of small shops, but i wasn't feeling 100Euro copies of Black Heat.
    have a great time.
    keep an eye out for some african music for me please.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

and if you like the teahouse/hookah thing, check out la Grande Mosquee, the main mosque in Paris. little cafe in there got the comphy cushions and bomb baklava.

that's the one near le jardin des plantes, right? if so, i second this too, great place. love it.

also to keep this a bit record related, there's a spot on st. michel that's a used bookstore + basement record store that stocks a lot of west african as well as soul/funk goods. i forget the name but it's like two blocks down from gibert and right next to Boulinier. some real head refresh my memory? anyway, it's kind of inconspicuous but they have a sign outside that says "records". just look for Boulinier (big red huge looking thing) and go two stores down.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

I was looking through the crates and he kept asking me what I was looking for in French. Finally, he just told me to stop and basically said "This store isn't for browsing. Get out of my store if you aren't going to buy anything"

I was better off leaving anyway. Euro is murdering the dollar so the prices looked pretty bad.

Haha !!! ... Roger (that's his name), the crumpy old seller from Oldies but Goodies... is very known in Paris and around for beeing a stupid kinda racist guy who has no sense of communication with his custommers. I didn't knew he was an international legend too but I'm not surprised at all as I already saw him talking in french to two british diggers, he also unkindly asked them to get out...

The problem is that this crumpy old man has records... Perhaps the best parisian stock for soul and funk (some nice jazz too). About his pricing: almost everything is 30 euros... For this price I already bought the "Open Space" LP on MPS, with Karin Krog singing "Maiden Voyage"... "Sister Byrdie" by Byrdie Green on Prestige and a few other really nice deals. You have to be very polite (for example, I always give him my bag before I browse, I make my kindest face... etc), so you're very polite, a good boy (haha), you can spend hours in his store. Hopefully you can find the great deal cause if you get out of his store after hours of digging without purchasing any record and you are a stranger, this unfriendly person will show you the dark side of the force for sure... Beware, he's paranoid but he has records and almost sells them all at the same price!

Otherwise, Paris Jazz Corner is a place to be but so expensive... No hope to make a great deal here...

Visit BETINO's record shop !!! The dude is cool, he prices his records depending on what he paid. Not a large choice but when records arrive... The dude has a website, take a look.

Otherwise, walk and look... A lot of small "boutiques" opening and closing... Some places where you can drink some tea and browse some records too... Everything is possible, have a good time!

Ha!

I was browsing the psych rock section and asked him about some prices....
    He was asking like 35 euro for some common atco joint or something. He played it to me: *needle on* CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH...

I stood calm as I had already noticed how grumpy he was to other costomers...
    After he took it off I started questioning the price, mentioning that this was VG-- at its tops.
    Then he asked me to follow him around the store so I could see the record in the light "Its brandnuh!!!".
    I chuckled as I saw everybody in the Store laughin at him...

Then he tried to give me some speech on youth and music "ahhh les jeunes, ils n'a pas de connaissance..." or something similar. I took the sleve, put it ontop of the pile on his counter, (which is about 20 cm above the ground, since the man seems to enjoy being on the ...)
    sighed and said "you know what, fuck it then. I have plenty stores on my list, and no time for this bullshit"

His face dropped, I grabbed my recordbag and left the store. I couldn't get my grin off cuz all the other people were leaving the store or laughing at him...

He came running after me babblin something in crazy french telling me I was "thrown out of the store" while I was already 2 doors further...
    what a retarded old fuck.

Anyhow the good part of the story: Whilst recieving "trop deficile" comments on all LPs I had on the list I gave him (he asks you to give him a list - or fuck off..), some dude stepped to me and slit a card over to me whispering:
    "Call this guy, he sells privately. If you want to meet him he'll just bring his records in to Paris, he might have some of the LPs you're looking for"

The next day I called Oliver and dude turned out to be the NICEST dude who ever sold me a record.
    He brought me a ton of ill shit to check out. After kindly asking if I "smoke" we lit some french hash and checked out the joints he brought with him on the fisherprice. He was amazed how good the weed was that I smuggled there - All in all, coolest dude ever. He does fleas too and lives outside the northeast of Paris.

About the Clignancourt fleamarket: Check out the dudes from YETI vinyl. They have a bunch of Libs and other interesting jazz/funk/soul.

Oh yea, and ask Bapt what the area was called where we caught us some chinese noodlesoups. There was crazy restaurants all over the place.

Enjoy Paris Foolios

also to keep this a bit record related, there's a spot on st. michel that's a used bookstore + basement record store that stocks a lot of west african as well as soul/funk goods. i forget the name but it's like two blocks down from gibert and right next to Boulinier. some real head refresh my memory? just look for Boulinier (big red huge looking thing) and go two stores down.

THE NAME IS: SILLY MELODY

Just know that this store (also Boulignier) is frequently visited by french compulsive record buyers, this is very exceptionnal to find interesting records there (also in Boulignier) because the employees are record diggers and don't hesitate to keep the nice ones...

THE BEST FINDS WILL ALWAYS BE MADE IN UNEXPECTED PLACES.

My advice: don't run from a record store to another while you're in Paris. The good ones are too pricy and the others can really make you loose precious time...

BETINO's is cool.

If you want raers, you'll have to improvise, be inspired and find the unexpected place... Parisian friends of mine are working on this since years... Good luck!

Ha!

He was asking like 35 euro for some common atco joint or something. He played it to me: *needle on* CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH...

After he took it off I started questioning the price, mentioning that this was VG-- at its tops.
    Then he asked me to follow him around the store so I could see the record in the light "Its brandnuh!!!".

Then he tried to give me some speech on youth and music "ahhh les jeunes, ils n'a pas de connaissance..." or something similar. I took the sleve, put it ontop of the pile on his counter, (which is about 20 cm above the ground, since the man seems to enjoy being on the ...)
    sighed and said "you know what, fuck it then. I have plenty stores on my list, and no time for this bullshit"

His face dropped, I grabbed my recordbag and left the store. I couldn't get my grin off cuz all the other people were leaving the store or laughing at him...

He came running after me babblin something in crazy french telling me I was "thrown out of the store" while I was already 2 doors further...

Hilarious !!! ... My man roger made his worldwide reputation. By far, one of the closest description ever made of the guy. I also experienced the "CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH", the "ahhh les jeunes, ils n'a pas de connaissance...", etc... BUT the guy has records.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Salut Noreille.

Jay, what's up? Long time no speak...

About the records, I'd say Noreille is right about the raers and the unexpected places.

[color:#666666] Betino is cool...bla...bla... [/color]

CHECK OUT THE FLEA MARKETS!!!
    Like E_Daily said, go see "LE Y??TI"

And check out this site: http://spam.fr/brocantes.htm

Oh! And, Jay, that place is called "Belleville", loads of Chinese restaurants all around.

Personally, I prefere the Japanese restaurants... at "Op??ra"

Further informations -----> PM

Bapt.

aight we go eat Sushi or Sashimi next time then

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    No, no, noodles if you want but the Japanese Noodles. Dude makes 'em in front of you.

Are there any funk or soul nights anyone knows of that I should check out? I would love to check something like that out in Paris.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Ha!

Hilarious !!! ... My man roger made his worldwide reputation. By far, one of the closest description ever made of the guy. I also experienced the "CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH", the "ahhh les jeunes, ils n'a pas de connaissance...", etc... BUT the guy has records.

Is Oldies But Goodies the one in the Marais? when i was at Lycee (Sophie Germain) there in 1988 dude was always really nice to me. When I went back in 2003, he couldn't have been kinder. I wonder if he has beef with non-French speakers.