remixing the scorpio break...

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i feel my drum chopping skills are sufficient enough now that ive started to just remix the scorpio break. basically im making it more fun and complicated, and doing it in the slowest way possible (at the end of the clip, theres 6 layers running simultaneously...)anyway, here's what i have started, it loops back to the beginning in the middle, but this is to give you an idea of what im doing here.A HREF="http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/skorpion2.mp3">Scorpio II[/b]/A>keep in mind, the beginning retains the original pattern, when the congas come in is when i get busy.is there any real market for something like this? do you think dj's would like this for scratch routines or something? i think it would be fun to put out a 12" of classic breaks re-arranged.but maybe thats stupid. i'll save it for a bonus beat or something, either way, tell me what you think so far.

Comments

• that shit was dope!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    that shit was dope!

You forgot

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    ill

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Nice. Not that its something I watch out for, but it seems like it has been a long while since anyone has released any sort of drums-only dj-tool-type-record.

• girgir 329 Posts
    that shit was dope!

You forgot

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ako,

Personally, I liked this too though I don't know if I heard this on a 12" at a store, I'd think, "I must own this."

To me, it feels more like an interesting experiment in fucking around with a well-known drum break and trying to see what you can do with it but it's "commerical value" seems a bit hazy to me. I'd see it more like a bonus beat (as you put it) rather than the actual object that you're trying to sell to a DJ or whoever.

See, what you need to do is mash this up underneath T.I. or Sean Paul or something

i feel my drum chopping skills are sufficient enough now that ive started to just remix the scorpio break. basically im making it more fun and complicated, and doing it in the slowest way possible (at the end of the clip, theres 6 layers running simultaneously...)

anyway, here's what i have started, it loops back to the beginning in the middle, but this is to give you an idea of what im doing here.

A HREF="http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/skorpion2.mp3">Scorpio II[/b]/A>

keep in mind, the beginning retains the original pattern, when the congas come in is when i get busy.

is there any real market for something like this? do you think dj's would like this for scratch routines or something? i think it would be fun to put out a 12" of classic breaks re-arranged.

but maybe thats stupid. i'll save it for a bonus beat or something, either way, tell me what you think so far.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i did something slightly similar as a skit for beat tape like 6 years ago. i did a rare earth celebrate one too but i dont know where the cd is.

http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BC4480B97DDC21ED

wow, strange. which version of scorpio is that again? i think i have it, actually.

yeah man, the rare earth celebrate break is one of the best breaks of ALL TIME in my opinion...so fucking good...well, the 45 version anyway, the album one isnt gritty enough and has that sound over it. the 45 one is sooo

• If you wanna make a new type of DJ tool put it on CD, and use up all the space

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    scorpio 2 sounds dope!!!

fucking with a drumbreak, heres a little thing i did a few years back:

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31FQMIKQCWX1N2HA379UVW7YH4

scorpio 2 sounds dope!!!

oh shit, i like this a lot!!! whats that break?!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    scorpio 2 sounds dope!!!

oh shit, i like this a lot!!! whats that break?!

yo ako lets see if heads knows this one, its not rare or obscure or anything like that...

og chef du holder munden lukket on this one auwright!

• hi
    i like these remixes of scorppio
    here is fucking aroun d with apachee and the meters and james brown vs a old novation rave station.

http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0NTESV66KBI4Q1YWVF5OUXMH9K

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    og chef du holder munden lukket on this one auwright!

Hey I remember that track. The Nobody Beats The Beats band used to play that when the first album came out. You got that record from me, right?
    I had 3 copies of it at one time

It's funny because the guy you sampled for the spoken parts (Lou?) is talking all about the organ player, but there is virtually no organ present, except for the stabs and the two little dwiddledees in the middle.

It's always fun messing around with some nice long drum breaks. 'Strictly-drums' tracks are mostly for beat nerds, though, or as tools for certain types of DJs. That last track on the latest Jurassic 5 album, "Acetate Prophets", is a real dope example of an all-out drum track IMO.

• some nice shit in this thread man

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Very dope Ako..

I would see myself using this as a DJ. I you did a bunch of these as a 12" it could be really dope as transferbridging material for DJs imo

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    ako, this is dope. I think you should go the length and work the rest of the song in its entirety. extend the break, get crazy, and put this out as a scorpio re-edit. I can definitely see dudes purchasing something like that.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    THis is cool and everything, but chopping up a fast break and freaking it all out is kinda easy. Im my experience getting something at a slower tempo to really swing right is much harder.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    THis is cool and everything, but chopping up a fast break and freaking it all out is kinda easy. Im my experience getting something at a slower tempo to really swing right is much harder.

All that really depends on the breaks imo. The spectrum of ghosthits and accents avalible. Slow breaks are usually pretty boring in that aspect, and that makes it harder. Scorpio got it all so its pretty fuckin fun to flip.

• ...yeah the scorpio was a bit too "urgent" for my liking though. Could do with slowing down a tad

All that really depends on the breaks imo. The spectrum of ghosthits and accents avalible. Slow breaks are usually pretty boring in that aspect, and that makes it harder. Scorpio got it all so its pretty fuckin fun to flip.

ghosthits? Ill im saying is fast breaks are way easier to cut up cause theres not nearly as much room to accomodate for swing. Shit can be rigid straight forward and you wouldnt even know.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i agree bsides

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

ghosthits? Ill im saying is fast breaks are way easier to cut up cause theres not nearly as much room to accomodate for swing. Shit can be rigid straight forward and you wouldnt even know.

Im with you as long as youre not talking about that trendy offbeat bullshit, it takes 2 seconds to bust out a beat like that. But its alot easier to hear when people are fakin the funk in 90bpm no doubt.

Im with you as long as youre not talking about that trendy offbeat bullshit, it takes 2 seconds to bust out a beat like that. But its alot easier to hear when people are fakin the funk in 90bpm no doubt.

trendy offbeat bullshit? Nah fam, im talking about drums that KNOCK.

For example, i never had any problems sequencing uptempo breaks out on fruityloops, but try cutting up some simple shit and getting it to not sound mechanical, and you will see what i mean. I could never get it sounding right on a computer.

This isnt meant to be dogging on yall, but alot of stuff i hear on here that passes for instrumental hip hop is just a ton of elements kinda hodgepodged together. I used to do similar stuff, and its fun, but its not really going anywhere.

Calling it "instrumental" just kind of removes the burden from you to actually make a workable hip hop beat or assigning a formal song structure to it. Personally i think ako is real good at that kind of stuff, but if you really wanna challenge yourself, try to make something thats simple but still dope.

It aint as easy as you think.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Actually I prefer hip-hop beats to be sparse. I like room for the MC. Too much going on in a beat can carry a weak mc. With "insty" hip-hop, you want more going on to fill the space. To take the lead like the MC, so to speak.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Sure you're a great chef, but try being a ninja.

There's a challenge in everything. Simplicity, complexity, loose and tight.

Power moves and style are both good for separate reasons.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

trendy offbeat bullshit? Nah fam, im talking about drums that KNOCK.

For example, i never had any problems sequencing uptempo breaks out on fruityloops, but try cutting up some simple shit and getting it to not sound mechanical, and you will see what i mean. I could never get it sounding right on a computer.

This isnt meant to be dogging on yall, but alot of stuff i hear on here that passes for instrumental hip hop is just a ton of elements kinda hodgepodged together. I used to do similar stuff, and its fun, but its not really going anywhere.

Calling it "instrumental" just kind of removes the burden from you to actually make a workable hip hop beat or assigning a formal song structure to it. Personally i think ako is real good at that kind of stuff, but if you really wanna challenge yourself, try to make something thats simple but still dope.

I hear what you are saying, but you have to understand that not everyone had the same development as you.

I was the other way around pretty much, Ive made minimalistic rap beats all my life. Trying to work with locals and constantly beeing underwhelmed with what people do with my beats. Thats where you are lucky, you actually live around good rappers. The ones over here are a fucking joke. So I figured I had to do everything myself in order for it to go anywhere, and rapping has never been my thing so I started messing with instrumental hiphop. This is one of the reasons instrumental hiphop and the bootleg scenes are alot bigger over here in Europe.

That said, I'll never stop making rap beats.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I liked the track, Ako. I think the suggestion of making it an entire track re-edit was on the money.

I also think B-sides makes a good point. He should post up some of his beats to back it up, though.

(Dude, I was listening to some of those old beats you posted like a year ago and that shit is still fire! Fast Money, Levee, Sunshine2, The Squeeze, etc. are extremely hot.)

• slushslush 691 Posts
    ako: make it a full track! you need to do more edits. this is the type of stuff that will get you big in the cubs.

• (Dude, I was listening to some of those old beats you posted like a year ago and that shit is still fire! Fast Money, Levee, Sunshine2, The Squeeze, etc. are extremely hot.)

Is there any chance that any of these could get a repost? Never been disappointed wtih an a-ko production thus far. Also, twoply i still play the hell out of that Run remix you posted up here lik a year or so ago.

(Dude, I was listening to some of those old beats you posted like a year ago and that shit is still fire! Fast Money, Levee, Sunshine2, The Squeeze, etc. are extremely hot.)

Is there any chance that any of these could get a repost? Never been disappointed wtih an a-ko production thus far. Also, twoply i still play the hell out of that Run remix you posted up here lik a year or so ago.

i think he was talking about bsides with those beats...ive never had any with those names...