remixing the scorpio break...

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    well...i dont really work with that much slow stuff anymore, but heres a small example of something slow and sparse that i started about a year and a half ago...doesnt really have much swing i guess, but i dont swing much when i play drums slow in real life anyway.

its kinda hissy, so watch out:

http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/bbbazzz.mp3

lemme know if you dig it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    (Dude, I was listening to some of those old beats you posted like a year ago and that shit is still fire! Fast Money, Levee, Sunshine2, The Squeeze, etc. are extremely hot.)

Is there any chance that any of these could get a repost? Never been disappointed wtih an a-ko production thus far. Also, twoply i still play the hell out of that Run remix you posted up here lik a year or so ago.

i think he was talking about bsides with those beats...ive never had any with those names...

yeah, those are my tracks. I dont really post tracks on the internet anymore. thanks though toply! I wasnt knocking what you guys are doing, personally i feel like ako has pretty much mastered this style of track though. I thought he might enjoy trying a different direction.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Anyone peep the re edit of Scorpio that Kon and Amir put out on their label On Track records. I felt that they updated it nicely.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

editing the scorpio break...

I don't get it...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I don't get it...
    edit[/b]: (b) to assemble by cutting and rearranging.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    og chef du holder munden lukket on this one auwright!

Hey I remember that track. The Nobody Beats The Beats band used to play that when the first album came out. You got that record from me, right?
    I had 3 copies of it at one time

It's funny because the guy you sampled for the spoken parts (Lou?) is talking all about the organ player, but there is virtually no organ present, except for the stabs and the two little dwiddledees in the middle.

It's always fun messing around with some nice long drum breaks. 'Strictly-drums' tracks are mostly for beat nerds, though, or as tools for certain types of DJs. That last track on the latest Jurassic 5 album, "Acetate Prophets", is a real dope example of an all-out drum track IMO.

dawg, i thought i was the one that traded it to you actually, had this couple times myself uknow, not sure who had what first.... anyways var i ude og checke dress's afrofunk set ig??r?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    btw, does anyone have a mp3 of johnny frigo's scorpio version, would like to hear that...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I don't get it...
    edit[/b]: (b) to assemble by cutting and rearranging.

Rey, I know Aahahha!!!!!
    I meant I'd rather say "editing" not "remixing"...

i feel my drum chopping skills are sufficient enough now...
    A HREF="http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/skorpion2.mp3">Scorpio II[/b]/A>

Anyway, I still don't get it! 4 real, dude (Ako, peace man!) chopped that break exactly like I did 10 years ago, and I'm not exagerating. Am I missing something?

And I'm surprised that "big" headz are feelin' it.
    What's the deal?

Paix.

Bapt.

can you post a clip? id like you hear your take on it.

i dont know, its fun and i was sort of proud of the way i was doing it. its kinda overkill, but heres a picture of the session for just that scorpio II clip i posted (except the last few bars were cut off):

IMG src=http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/scorpiosesh.jpg>

track 1 - kick/snare accents
    track 2 - main drums
    track 3 - panned hi-hats
    track 4 - more snare accents
    track 5 - congas
    track 6 - tambourine

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    yall should have a contest over this shit. Soulstrut 2006 Who Got The Chops? Spring Breakbeat Rearranging Competition. Go for yours!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    ps - Ako do you do all your beats on Cool Edit Pro? I heard some pretty nice joints of yours before. peace.

ps - Ako do you do all your beats on Cool Edit Pro? I heard some pretty nice joints of yours before. peace.

indeed i do! glad you like em.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Ako, man, I trust you, you don't need to put the picture of the session.

About that Scorpio edit I made, like I said it was 10 years ago.
    At that time I worked with a Akai S3200xl, right now I'm on a Macintosh...you see
    I think I got it on a magneto optical cartridge somewhere (if I didn't trash it).
    So I can't post it.

But I have something else.
    Here < is an edit I made about 5 years ago or something...

Also, recently, I used the Scorpio break. I made this beat with this

Peace

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Here < is what I can do with 1 kick, 1 snare, 1 hi-hat and 1 open hat.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    What the f*ck is happenin' around here?

No comments = + + +

Com'on! Talk shit! Ban me! Hate me! But do something.
    (I'm not talkin' to you Ako. Peace)

B.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

And I'm surprised that "big" headz are feelin' it.
    What's the deal?

Paix.

I mean, I'm tired of those "Yeah! that's fucking dope my man!!!! Whooohhooo!!" comments when it's not.

Answers now!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

pretty nice shit. your styles are so different its pointless to compare you guys. i think you got some kinda hybris- and/or hatt-problem tho.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

YES, I AM! Woof!

-

Eyh! Mc Dee, thank you, you understood that I'm not asking for dudes to compare Ako's stuff and mine.

I'm just waiting for [color:white] "big" [/color] dudes to explain their "Fire!!!!!Woohoo! Dope!Holy shit!!" kinda posts.

...to be continued.

Bapt.

• YES, I AM! Woof!

-

Eyh! Mc Dee, thank you, you understood that I'm not asking for dudes to compare Ako's stuff and mine.

I'm just waiting for [color:white] "big" [/color] dudes to explain their "Fire!!!!!Woohoo! Dope!Holy shit!!" kinda posts.

...to be continued.

Bapt.
    How many records have you sold?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I made this beat

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

YES, I AM! Woof!

-

...to be continued.

Bapt.

I bought his Roc 'C' joint on Stones Throw so that's at least one.

I think since Ako is loved by the so called big dudes anything he posts will be considered fire. Even an extended Scorpio break which we all did 10 years ago.

It's good and all, but is it really the hot fire that melts your face?

Soul Strut loves the circle jerk.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Word up Taza!

You know what? Shit is getting wack right here. 4 real!

And I'm not saying this because I started makin' beats a long time ago, not because I sold many records (this is not true)...bla...bla...
    I say, when something is just ok don't say shit is fire.
    Are you politicians?
    This attitude doesn't help Ako (*Peace man!*).
    Do you know what I am sayin'?
    Yeah! Of course you do.
    Pfffff!!!

I'm out.

Ako, keep making beats man! Peace.
    Peace Taza.

Peace to the "[color:red] real [/color] headz"...Aah!!! LOL

Bapt.

tha *loop* tha *digga* tha *digga* tha *loop*

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i'm confused, it seems like bapt keeps re-affirming his hate for what ako did, waiting to be shat on, but nobody is shatting??

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Is it a sign?[/b] (aka Who are you?)

• YES, I AM! Woof!

-

...to be continued.

Bapt.

I bought his Roc 'C' joint on Stones Throw so that's at least one.

I think since Ako is loved by the so called big dudes anything he posts will be considered fire. Even an extended Scorpio break which we all did 10 years ago.

It's good and all, but is it really the hot fire that melts your face?

Soul Strut loves the circle jerk.
    So you and bapt remixed the Scorpio break 10 years ago and couldn't make it fire?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    scorpio 2 sounds dope!!!

fucking with a drumbreak, heres a little thing i did a few years back:

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31FQMIKQCWX1N2HA379UVW7YH4

oh shit, i like this a lot!!! whats that break?!

Isn't that the Port Authority break?? I've chopped it before, that's why it is familiar to me...

I decided to upload the beat... wow.. this is an old one (4 years or so) .. back when I did more instrumental hip-hop ECM jazz collage type joints

> check it

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    scorpio 2 sounds dope!!!

fucking with a drumbreak, heres a little thing i did a few years back:

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31FQMIKQCWX1N2HA379UVW7YH4

oh shit, i like this a lot!!! whats that break?!

Isn't that the Port Authority break?? I've chopped it before, that's why it is familiar to me...

I decided to upload the beat... wow.. this is an old one (4 years or so) .. back when I did more instrumental hip-hop ECM jazz collage type joints

> check it

I haven't heard this yet, but I can tell you Catalist is one of the most criminally slept on producers on the board.

Bapt, some of those were definitley impressive, and I think this thread is turning into one great big NAGL.

My only gripe with some "eenstrumental heep hawp" is that sometimes people tend to geek out and focus too much on the technical and not on the musical.

Just my .02

• awallawall 673 Posts

My only gripe with some "eenstrumental heep hawp" is that sometimes people tend to geek out and focus too much on the technical and not on the musical.

Just my .02

either that or it's music that's designed to be tuned out

one time a friend of mine called something i made "downtempo" and it made me want to throw away my sampler

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    thanks for the words Day.

I fully agree with you on the 'technical vs. musical' point. If you listen to my track, I was trying to do just a bit too much technical stuff, and it doesn't translate as musically as I would have liked.. but this is me listening 4 years later, and my sound and style has changed considerably since then.