What do you poptarts think of this list?

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    11th? Shit I thought it was 10th. Damnit my list is all fucked up. Where's my Kufi.

i've found it helpful to make an elements spreadsheet... it's very easy to reorganize when new elements pop up... be sure to post it on okayplayer for approval before hitting that save button, though

What position on the elements list is the hiring of fashion consultants?

Also Jay-Z or any of those dudes better than Aceyalone? Never that.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Oh schnap--he took it there!

Shiezy, you seem like that dude whose wardrobe consists entirely of pleated khakis paired with ill-fitted washed-out promo tees.

Leave Jinx out of this.

Several of his promo tees are VG.

LOL

First time I met Jinx, he had a Tragedy Khadafi Thug Matrix promo tee on...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Oh schnap--he took it there!

Shiezy, you seem like that dude whose wardrobe consists entirely of pleated khakis paired with ill-fitted washed-out promo tees.

Leave Jinx out of this.

LOL

First time I met Jinx, he had a Tragedy Khadafi Thug Matrix promo tee on...

in my man's defense, did anyone catch his picture in that sfweekly article oliver posted? i mean, i dont mean to puff dude up but he was lookin mighty cutie in that flick sans promo tee.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

in my man's defense, did anyone catch his picture in that sfweekly article oliver posted? i mean, i dont mean to puff dude up but he was lookin mighty cutie in that flick sans promo tee.

I believe the operative term is "grown and sexy."

• in my man's defense, did anyone catch his picture in that sfweekly article oliver posted? i mean, i dont mean to puff dude up but he was lookin mighty cutie in that flick sans promo tee.

Co-homo.

Looks like marriage suits the boy!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Co-homo.

Looks like marriage suits the boy!

im saying, dude has a sheen about him now. and is that a smile on his face? god damn!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    AND he still sneaks into the guest room to cuddle!

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    nobody could rap about the solar system like canibus.

KOOL KEITH pioneered this shit.

Kool Keith is still my favorite mc.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Kool Keith should be on any top-ten lists for MCs.
    He is to this list as Robin Trower is to Greatest Guitarist lists. Overtalented, underappreciated and quite possibly totally insane[/b].

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Top Ten lists are irrelevant, good only for debate. That being said, I remember reading a round up in some Hip Hop rag a few years back that had all these Emcees naming their favorite Emcees, and it was interesting Rakim for instance- I believe he had Raekwon and Sadat X in his top 3.

Sadat is major, (maybe not top 10 but) Grand Puba's influence also seems largely forgotten, he and Q Tip were the dudes holding down the East for a good while in the early 90s...

That's how you know hip hop has changed: Puba was a funny lookin dude gettin paid by Hillfigger to wear their shit. All the new crop of MTV-ready MC's (except for Lil Wayne maybe- Nawleans gremlin) are all on this male model shit...

• AND he still sneaks into the guest room to cuddle!

I just wanted to chime-on and co-sign and Jinx's penchant for promo shirts. I used to eye his Pete Rock "Soul Survivor" joint.

Do people still make promo shirts? I woudn't mind giving the dude an update and fitting him with a "Nivea" or "Pitbull M.I.A.M.I THE ALBUM SUMMER 2003!" 'fits.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sadat is major, (maybe not top 10 but) Grand Puba's influence also seems largely forgotten, he and Q Tip were the dudes holding down the East for a good while in the early 90s...

Brother J
    LL Cool J
    Jeru
    Rakim
    EPMD
    Nas
    CL Smooth
    KRS-ONE
    WU-Tang
    B.I.G
    Large Pro
    Lord Finesse
    AG
    ULTRA
    JB's

I couldn't say that Grand Puba & QTip were holdin' down the EAST in the early 90's.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Pitbull M.I.A.M.I THE ALBUM SUMMER 2003!" 'fits.

...in fluorescent TVT green.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

I just wanted to chime-on and co-sign and Jinx's penchant for promo shirts. I used to eye his Pete Rock "Soul Survivor" joint.

I had that shirt also. Gave it to my good friend Ronnie Herel. MISTAKE....

• "Pitbull M.I.A.M.I THE ALBUM SUMMER 2003!" 'fits.

...in fluorescent TVT green.

Hmm...how crazy would a shirt made with slip-n-slide records sleeve pattern? I can totally picture people wearing that shit on the internet.

I used to eye his joint.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Big Pun? Big L maybe.

I have no problems with Ghost, G. Rap, Scarface and Snoop.

And where's E-40 at?

Big Pun would shit on Snoop. Compare his verse in the remake of Deep Cover to Snoop's in the OG.

Big Pun = totally over-rated. Only ever pops up on these things to appease the Puerto Rican voters.

true, but theres alot of those ricans!

Plus, pun was nice sometimes. He was a dope lyricist, cant say much for his albums though.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I thought this feature was surprisingly thoughtful and well-done--I assume it coincided with some kind of a broadcast this past week.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2006/emcees/index.jhtml

10. LL Cool J
    9. Eminem
    8. Ice Cube
    7. Big Daddy Kane
    6. KRS-ONE
    5. Nas
    4. Rakim
    3. Biggie
    2. 2Pac
    1. Jay-Z

Honorable Mentions: Andre 3000, Big Pun, Black Thought (snicker), Common, Ghostface, Lauryn Hill, Kool G. Rap, Scarface, Snoop

WHAT?! no Sage Francis or Hieroglyphics?!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Do people still make promo shirts? I woudn't mind giving the dude an update and fitting him with a "Nivea" or "Pitbull M.I.A.M.I THE ALBUM SUMMER 2003!" 'fits.

I was recently blessed with the promo Mobb Deep Doo-rag and Tee for their upcoming G-Unit release... So yes they do still make them...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nice list. I'd give an honorable mention to Q Tip, Guru & The Biz, too.

Guru? Really? He always sounded good over Primo's production but I never thought of him as a "Great" MC. Last time I saw Gangstarr live, he was so drunk it was difficult for him to get through the songs. He screwed up all the lyrics. Then he went through the crowd and wanted to fight everyone!

I keep hearing this "exclusive" new Guru song on a local hip hop radio show.

Shit is hilarious.

The line where he equates himself with a "helicopter"
    and then rhymes it with "hella proper" may just be my
    favorite *so bad it's awesome* line of 2006.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

But do they have VG+ smell?

Classic Material

hahaha... fuck ALL of you. die.

guru is in no way a top 20 contender. i didnt track down gangstarr singles and every sample they used for guru. though his first jazzamatazz record is cool. whoever said primo was gangstarr pretty much nailed it. plus that "guru living in a car in boston" comment was quite laugh out loud funny too.

kk WAS cool. he WAS a great emcee. i WAS a fan. now hes tired like james brown. maybe those two should retire together.

eminem in a top 10? probably not. he is talented no matter how many haters he has on this board. though i cant read off any of his album titles from memory because they were listened to once or twice and then given away. first few listens and hes dope... he tends to get boring real quick though. for me.

jay-z at number 1? HELL NO! hes dope and a top 10er for sure but 1 he is not.

its nice to see ice cube in the top 10. hes quite nice with the mic and his lyrics. always thought him to be top 20 but top 10 is acceptable.

do yall really think big pun deserves to be a HM? really though do i need to go back and listen to his albums? i thought he was cool... but shit, biggie only had two albums and he was dope. i dont think pun did it in two albums... okay maybe HM now that i think about it. speaking of HMs, andre3000 is a joke. he shouldnt even be in a top 25. though thats my opinion. i like outkast as a group but as lyricists theyre just okay to me. and its a disgrace that lauryn hill is there. the people making these lists are amateurs at best for putting her on there. shit id put isis over lh any day of the week. same goes for blackthought.

ive always liked masta ace, big l (though i feel like finesse, ag, redman, etc all sound the same... id love to put him in HM but something makes me not want to as well), kool g should be in the top 10 by pushing em to HM, and slick rick (like the rest of you).

this may just be repeating whats already been written but these are my thoughts...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

big l (though i feel like finesse, ag, redman, etc all sound the same

finesse and ag dream about being as nice as Redman and Big L on the mic.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

nobody could rap about the solar system like canibus.

for real, what was that one line about the sun revolving around the earth? some other lines proved he was no mathematician either... of course i can't cite those now because i haven't listened to canibus in years. i'm thinking the line in question was from a common song on reminding me of sef or whatever that album was...

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    What position on the elements list is the hiring of fashion consultants?

just wanted to let you know, i e-mailed krs one to get the definitive answer on this, but apparently the temple of hip hop is closed for the holiday... i'll get back to you next week

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    10. LL Cool J
    9. Eminem
    8. Ice Cube
    7. Big Daddy Kane
    6. KRS-ONE
    5. Nas
    4. Rakim
    3. Biggie
    2. 2Pac
    1. Jay-Z

switch Nas with KRS and the list is perfect

Lord Finesse can play on the same court as Big L & RedMan. He's no that far behind,IMO.

Lord Finesse can play on the same court as Big L & RedMan. He's no that far behind,IMO.

There really wouldn't be a Big L without Finesse... some of yall need to Read Up On Your Read Ups...

And I don't know how a rapper (who WAS great, I will admit) with one *good* LP and one posthumous release could be compared to a cat that put out a bunch of *great* records and fathered mad styles.... and has straight CLASSICS under his belt, I mean what Big L record can be considered a classic? "Put It On"? "Ebonics"?

Redman's one of my favorite lyricists ever... not a GOAT by any stretch but a lot of fun to listen to. His first two records are unheralded classics IMO.

• Redman's one of my favorite lyricists ever... not a GOAT by any stretch but a lot of fun to listen to. His first two records are unheralded classics IMO.

Co-sign in a major way...besides hosting the most memorable episode of Cribs, his second album is one of sentimental-top-ten favorites. I wouldn't put him on a Top Ten All Time Best, but he makes my list of Top-Ten Favorites.

By the way, the distinction between who may be someone's 'favorite' rapper and the 'best' rapper gets lost so early on in these discussions, and folks get all ass hurt. I mean, really, is all of the DITC posse really on the top ten list? They may be your favorites, but that doesn't make them the BEST.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Redman's one of my favorite lyricists ever... not a GOAT by any stretch but a lot of fun to listen to. .... His first THREE[/b] records are unheralded classics IMO.

Redman's one of my favorite lyricists ever... not a GOAT by any stretch but a lot of fun to listen to. .... His first THREE[/b] records are unheralded classics IMO.

I also celebrate DEF SQUAD & THE BLACKOUT ALBUM.