F**k a find - weekday haul

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Bought a crazy collection today. 600+ records with custom shelves. All came from an older man who, it turns out, was in advertising back in the day and, as a result, was serviced with many of these records due to his job. Many are unplayed and, from what I saw as I packed them, all were in pristine condition. Really interesting guy. He was not only responsible for the music used on commercials (thus the record servicing), but he also wrote and recorded many jingles. I packed all the records up from a room that he used for his studio. (He has been living in the same apartment for 30+ years). He and his wife are remodeling and she told him it was time for all his records to go. He said he hadn't played them in years anyway.About 500 of the records were his and they are all soul, funk and jazz. If he had one record by an artist, he was likely to have their whole discography. The remaining records were his wife's. She is orginally from Europe, so a bunch of her records European. The remainder of her records were the usually stuff that you see at thrifts. She had a few classical vinyl sets as well. And he had about 70 45s.The collection also came with shelves that he had custom built to store his vinyl. The stack on top of each other and, with a little cleaning, they look like they'll be pretty nice. Here's a few pictures of the haul:

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    enough[/b] money

bring some of that over cheah!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    excellent
    nice shelves, too

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    how much?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Wow!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    wow, heavy stuff there.

• girgir 329 Posts
    excellent
    nice shelves, too

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Damn, Lucky!!! Whenever I'm offered a big collection the names Earl Klue and George Winston come up all too often.

• how much?

Everything cost me less than a Dakar's weekend finds.

so you gave the guy $300?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    how much?

Everything cost me less than a Dakar's weekend finds.

Can you hip us to some title highlights of what you'd looked thru so far?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    so you gave the guy $300?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i definitely wanna know what records you got and i am envious of those shelves.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i am envious of those shelves.

yeah, those shelves are

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i definitely wanna know what records you got and i am envious of those shelves.

i'm seeing the Slaughters OST, a good reggae comp, some classical box sets and a bunch of boxes.

floss!

• Options
    Roberta Flack, yo!

K.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Roberta Flack, yo!

K.

Oh shit. My bad "Feel Like Making Love"? So rare I've just heard about it, but never actually seen it. Wow, there it is. I wonder what's in that garbage bag covered box?

Come on dude. Unpack them shits!

• I took that pic right after bringing them up to my apartment - an interesting story in and of itself. However, everything is in the same exact spot right now. I only unpacked what I did in order to empty boxes and bring up more.

After getting it all in, I finished off the last episodes of 6 Feet Under and went out with my girl on her last night in NY before taking a vacation. Then a shitstorm at work hit and I've been unable to even look at the boxes, let alone unpack them.

Hopefully tonight.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Damn, Lucky!!! Whenever I'm offered a big collection the names Earl Klue and George Winston come up all too often.

could be alot worse!!!!
    crusty classical comes to mind.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts

After getting it all in, I finished off the last episodes of 6 Feet Under and went out with my girl on her last night in NY before taking a vacation. Then a shitstorm at work hit and I've been unable to even look at the boxes, let alone unpack them.
    Six Feet Under is my shit! i just finished the last episode last night. oh, and nice one all the records. let us know what you end up with...

ouchy

• Here's some of what I've come accross so far:

Otis Redding - Amen
    Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay
    James Brown - Hot Pants
    James Brown - The Payback
    James Brown - Black Caeser OST
    James Brown - Hell
    James Brown - Live At The Apollo II
    James Brown - Revolution Of My Mind
    James Brown - Slaughter's Big Rip Off OST
    James Brown - Revolution Of My Mind
    Kool & The Gang - Kool Jazz
    Lamont Dozier - Out Here On My Own
    Lamont Dozier - Peddlin' Music On The Side
    Edwin Starr - 25 Miles To Go
    Curtis Mayfield - Short Eyes
    Curtis Mayfield - Curtis x2
    Curtis Mayfield - Back To The World
    Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
    Curtis Mayfield - Live!
    Curtis Mayfield - And Here's Something To Believe In
    Gil Scott Heron - Winter In America
    Gil Scott Heron - First Minute of a New Day x2
    Gil Scott Heron - From South Africa To South Carolina x2
    Gil Scott Heron - Bridges
    Gil Scott Heron - Secrets
    Gil Scott Heron - 1980
    Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love
    Undisputed Truth - S/T
    Lou Donaldson - Alligator Boogaloo
    Donald Byrd - I'm Trying To Get Home
    Donald Byrd - A New Perspective x2
    Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow (along with all his post Ethopian Knights 70s LPs)
    A mix of french and US Stax releases
    A handful of french Wilson Pickett albums
    All of Marvin Gaye's albums (particulalry happy to have nice copies of I Heard It Through The Grapevine and That's The Way Love Is)
    All of Al Green's LPs
    All of Stevie Wonder's LPs
    All of J5's LPs
    All of the 70s Temptations LPs
    Etc...

I've still got 2 or 3 more boxes to go through and I don't feel like typing anymore of these titles . No exceptionally rare pieces here, but a lot of great stuff. My living room basically looks like the average hip hop producer's record collection right now.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    mehhh. nothing on there that you really shouldnt already have

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Six Feet Under is my shit! i just finished the last episode last night. oh, and nice one all the records. let us know what you end up with...

both of you

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts

both of you

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Yeah, you're right Mackster.

10+ boxes of minty classic and quality albums plus sturdy storage bins for cheap is severely unimpressive.

Anyway I just wanna say that Donald Byrd - A New Perspective is great!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

10+ boxes of minty classic and quality albums plus sturdy storage bins for cheap is severely unimpressive.

Forget the hatters, the clean james brown LPs and the bins alone made your cost back. Nothing to be said against clean, quality albums.

Forget the hatters, the clean james brown LPs and the bins alone made your cost back.

The cost apparently wasn't much....

File under: getting rich off old folks...

• all you dudes who dissed this post are lame...big tuff mo-fo's. way to put the guy in his place, pussies!!!!!!!!!!!11

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    naw, i mean if you really only paid $300 then you're straight.