F**k a find - weekday haul

2»

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    mehhh. nothing on there that you really shouldnt already have

=

naw, i mean if you really only paid $300 then you're straight.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    mehhh. nothing on there that you really shouldnt already have

=

lol

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    all you dudes who dissed this post are lame...big tuff mo-fo's. way to put the guy in his place, pussies!!!!!!!!!!!11

You drunk, doggie?

• not no mo...i now work a program of honesty

• naw, i mean if you really only paid $300 then you're straight.

Uh, I paid a lot less than $300. That number was thrown out by another.

The guy basically just wanted the records gone so he could renovate. I think he really was just charging for the shelves because when I originally called him and expressed interest in just the records he was kind of shocked...

And, while these LPs certainly aren't rare, finding all these records in NY for a reasonable price can be a real hassle. I mean, when you're pulling late Impressions records that are scuffed up and George is quoting you $15, imagine what a nice copy of Hell would cost.

On a related note, a co-worker just told me about a neighbor of his that has a room full of records he's on the fence about getting rid of. He's a fairly old jazz musician that plays latin-jazz (or so my co-worker says), but who knows what his tastes cover. He doesn't want money, but, in return for giving them away, he's looking for someone to burn the records to CD - all of the records. I'm going to try to work something out with him. Hopefully he realizes that it would be near impossible to burn them all to CD...

Does anyone else in NY buy up collections without owning a store? With no car and no immediate outlet, this shit is difficult...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Does anyone else in NY buy up collections without owning a store? With no car and no immediate outlet, this shit is difficult...

I buy in bulk but have a car. I have a couple of outlets to sell it on after I've picked the good bits out. But I'm happy to shift the Grover Washington LPs at close to cost so that the heavy shit only costs me pennies dakars.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

And, while these LPs certainly aren't rare, finding all these records in NY for a reasonable price can be a real hassle.

You know, good on you for the collection and whatnot, but I find the whole thing a bit weak... that's the kind of shit that makes old folks jaded of us record dudes. I mean, you basically gave this guy pennies per record.

Of course, pulling known soul records from George is not going to get you anywhere... and no offense but I don't really see you buying much from anyone, unless it's dramatically underpriced.

No car: easy, call a cab. with such a sweet deal on the vinyl surely you can afford it...

No outlet: hmmmm, Good Records, A-1, The Sound Library... all pretty good outlets IMO.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In the 70's on Long Island there was a guy who went by the name "Glen The Record Man" and he drove the Record Van....he advertised in the local head shops, music zines and even radio.

His deal was he'd come to your house and buy your collection....and then 3-4 days a week he would set up selling them at the local Flea Markets(110 Drive-In, Rossevelt Racetrack, Commack Drive-In) and just about everything was 4 bucks a piece except of course the Beatles and Nazz LP's.

He was doing this up until at least the late 80's....last time I hit him was at the Racetrack and I scored a big stack of the cream of the crop late 60's/early 70's Eastern Euro prog/psych LP's.

In my estimation Long Island has more records sitting in houses as "collections" than any other area in the U.S.......virtually no used stores out there either(Infinity is cool, the rest are jokes).

That insta-collection that was advertised on ebay this past week of 1,000 LP's was from a store on Long Island that deals mostly in comics and collectables....and they STUMBLE into the most amazing records. My brother and I went to their house many years ago and cleaned up big time....and that was after buying 75 LP's at their store including a sealed Spirit & Worm for $6.00.

All this rambling to say....someone with a car and the ambition could make a killing hunting vinyl on L.I.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    *Feverishly writing notes down in a scratchbook.

• naw, i mean if you really only paid $300 then you're straight.

And, while these LPs certainly aren't rare, finding all these records in NY for a reasonable price can be a real hassle.

You know, good on you for the collection and whatnot, but I find the whole thing a bit weak... that's the kind of shit that makes old folks jaded of us record dudes. I mean, you basically gave this guy pennies per record.

Of course, pulling known soul records from George is not going to get you anywhere... and no offense but I don't really see you buying much from anyone, unless it's dramatically underpriced.

No car: easy, call a cab. with such a sweet deal on the vinyl surely you can afford it...

No outlet: hmmmm, Good Records, A-1, The Sound Library... all pretty good outlets IMO.

He definitely got change per record, but it wasn't like I haggled him down or anything. He knew what he had and he put a price out there. I'd have had no problem paying him more, but he wanted what he wanted. I think he was quite content with his monetary situation too, I mean, he was getting rid of his records so he could renovate his bi-level manhattan apartment.

And yeah, I try to get all my records at a good deal. If I've been looking for records for awhile and can't find them and I feel I need them, than I pay the going rate. I'd imagine that's how most people on here shop for records. I certainly wouldn't have a significant collection if I paid going rate on everything or even most everything. Living in NY is expensive, I take my deals where I can get them. Doing so allows me to buy more expensive pieces every other week or so. It allowed me to get "Monkey-Pockie-Boo," "Yasmina, A Black Woman" and "Malcolm X College African American Jazz Ensemble Live" this last week.

I don't see smart shopping as a devilish act. The Reynaldo's of the world even the people like me out for record shops.

No offense taken.