Anticon, does anyone here like them??

1235»

Comments

• Not trying to be abrasive, but, do you rap? THese guys are incredibly innovative when it comes to cadence. What always gripped me was the fact that I invariably have a tough time keeping up with them. Check Pedestrian's cadence on Generation of Deadbeats, and Attack of the Postmodern Pat Boones. Check Sole's cadence on Center City, and Run Rabbit (for starters). If you don't think that these are prime examples of cadence then I will gladly continue this discussion.

I wasn't trying to say they're not "innovative" when it comes to cadence. Because in a way, I guess they are. But whatever they're usually trying to do is so unmusical and lacking rhythmically that I disregard any notion of "sick cadence." Most of these guys (pedestrian, I'm looking at you) have yet to prove they can ride a beat on a basic level, so when they try to do these hyperactive Freestyle Fellowship imitations (hi Archaic), it just comes off as contrived. Monch and Mikah 9 already did what they're trying to do, and nevermind that it sounded better, it sounded natural.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    That's Jel.

Y'all know that Controller 7 is affiliated with Anticon, right? At least he used to be. And I'm pretty sure I've seen some other affiliated dudes on here.

• wack.... all he does is hit the repeat button... then hit the buttons with his feet and shit. JEL hits every sample live... no sequencing... hes Frickin' amazing. I've seen davinci like 4 times when i used to live in Orlando. He really pissed me off back then. I respect his music... and even his mpc styles... He just is no match for jel... they are in 2 totally different classes. Look at the video in page 7 of this thread.

I don't have much to add except to say that 4 times is a lot to see somebody who pissed you off.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I wasn't trying to say they're not "innovative" when it comes to cadence. Because in a way, I guess they are. But whatever they're usually trying to do is so unmusical and lacking rhythmically that I disregard any notion of "sick cadence." Most of these guys (pedestrian, I'm looking at you) have yet to prove they can ride a beat on a basic level, so when they try to do these hyperactive Freestyle Fellowship imitations (hi Archaic), it just comes off as contrived. Monch and Mikah 9 already did what they're trying to do, and nevermind that it sounded better, it sounded natural.

True, at the musical/unmusical level I think that it's just an issue of taste, and notedly Anticon seems to draw a hard line when it comes to taste. Pedestrian definitely has an odd stlye, and it's not for everyone, but I'm into some of the stuff that he's done. I didn't think his album was great aside from a few cuts.

• Jel is way iller on the MPC live than shadow maybe on the MPC all together... any time any day....

for that matter.... Jel is better on the MPC live than anyone... period.

I thought that too until seeing Davinci from Sol.illaquist of Sound. I can't get on YouTube or google.video from here or I'd supply a link. Do a search for him and prepare to be amazed.

Dude was pretty weak imho. Seemed like he was all about noise-core and his posse of back-up dancers/sorcerers as opposed to composing a track. Most Anticon tracks sound like they're just trying to be different just for the sake of being different. It's cool to try and push boundaries, just try and sound good in the process.

• LOL.

I just bumped into D**** FKA(?) as Moodswing9 at a restaurant here in Oakland. Good dude.

• a GREAT dose one track:

What is the name of this? And when is it from? Really digging this.

And I have the back of whoever rides for portions of the Anticon catalogue, although Pedestrian was unlistenable last time I checked. Although that was three years ago.

Sole, Dose One, and Jel are all my shit. Particularly Dose One on a good day. Anyone who thinks his dense multisyllabic blowed type of flows sound forced are bugging. He fits all those syllables in on the square with a whole leap of style and eleqancy.

I need to find an mp3 of Cloudead - Dead Dogs Two. College radio staple, and bound to be hated upon by sacrimonious hip hop heads who should be more like: "if I don't like it, I don't like it, it doesn't mean that I'm hating." But I guess these dudes are such easy targets that people just love to hate. They're like the nerdy losers of hip hop high school.

• Jel is way iller on the MPC live than shadow maybe on the MPC all together... any time any day....

for that matter.... Jel is better on the MPC live than anyone... period.

I thought that too until seeing Davinci from Sol.illaquist of Sound. I can't get on YouTube or google.video from here or I'd supply a link. Do a search for him and prepare to be amazed.

YOu're kidding right? Davinci is the homeboy, but he's all theatrics. Jel plays drum patterns that melt your face, Davinci melts his mpc with his face. Dude is simply triggering a single phrase repeatedly. THat is, unless he has changed his format since I last saw him.

that's what i've heard from a lot of sources as well...

and I would put jel against anyone on an sp or mpc...the dude is Frickin' ridiculous on live drum programming...surious..

• LOL.

I just bumped into D**** FKA(?) as Moodswing9 at a restaurant here in Oakland. Good dude.

really good dude...

he cranked called me while I was on Matthew Africa's radio show last week...saying I had stolen records from his homie jinx...haha...classic moodswing shit...