Anticon, does anyone here like them??

Comments

• i like selling their records on ebay

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I don't much care to extend this discussion because it's not something I particularly care about too much. So, I'm just gonna try to "wrap it up, B..."

yeah man, we are talking about a crew that's first record was called music for the advancement of hip hop. What the fuck are we supposed to expect? And while Dose One himself may have never explicitly stated that he makes rap records, but this is a guy who came up on the battle circut and has mostly surrounded himself with other hip hop artists and promoted a hip hop aesthetic for the early stages of his career. Like it or not, all artists are judged on the expectations set by their prior work.

The only thing that I really care to say about the title "music for the advancement of hip-hop" is that yeah it's some pretentious bullshit, but it's fucking Sole through and through. He's inciting and sarcastic as fuck. There's at least as much pretenious truth to the title of that record as there is sarcastic untruth in that title. Of course, it seems like just some pretentious white boy shit (and looks to be pretty darn racist and stupid), but as far as I'm concerned, the title of that record can't be taken as a straight-forward serious statement.

But, who cares? We agree that it's a stupid and potentially pretentious title. Let's talk about the music? The music doesn't seem to be anything particularly "new" any more, but as far as I was concerned, at the time, it was pretty adventerous for white folks to be doing "avant-garde" rap music in such an unabashed manner. What was interesting about Anticon was that they most certainly thought of themselves as an extension of the hip-hop tradition that they grew up on (I remember talking to sole and pedestrian about this shit and it always bothered them that people didn't really think of their music as "rap" music), but they came at it honestly as white kids who loved hip-hop but also weren't shy about their own more "white" and/or "non-street" influences as well. I was always impressed with Anticon's unabashed white-ness. They almost all had "wigger" roots and they almost all love the same early 90's shit that everyone else loves, but they grew out of that "wigger" phase and decided to make music that was more honest to them and the (in)authenticity of their motley background(s).

I think pedestrian (who, while i don't particularly like his music, seems to be one of the more level headed dudes out of the crew) is overstating the racial impact and overlooking the relative narrowminded nature of record buyers as a whole, in that there are very few artists who can comfortably move through genres without criticism or questioning of motives. Is that a good thing? of course not, but it is a reality, and race has a minimal factor in that. Ask Chris Gaines.

Possibly, but I don't think it's ever a mistake to talk about race when talking about hip-hop.

That said, as a purveyor of a lot of extremely experimental music, and not exclusively coming at it from a hip hop perspective, I don't find the majority of anticon's catalog to be particularly interesting. a lot of what they do has been done before, and a lot of it falls into the weird for the sake of weirdness catagory. Personally I've never questioned their motives or authenticity (because really, they are pretty much authenically suburn white boy rap nerds and there's nothing wrong with that, as i can personally vouch for), but i have questioned the enjoyability of their music.

That's fine and I can respect that completely. But, most Anticon criticism I'm familiar with is not as well-thought out as that and is just on some very basic "Anticon is cultural appropriation" and "Anticon is pretentious bullshit" shit that echoes thoughts Eric Arnold articulated about Anticon.

And using a pitchfork review as a reflection of the overall critical response in american music journalism is like using white castle for a case study on american cuisine.

This is funny, but I don't think it's an accurate analogy... nor a useful one. I think pedestrian's point is articulated very well in that pitchfork review, regardless of whether or not pitchfork accurately represents the overall critical response.

you also raise a good point that they are filed in the rap section. and, in my experience as a college radio hip hop dj i can tell you that we were the ones these records were being promoted to, not the rock or the rpm department.

But not all hip-hop music(s) should be succeptible to the same aesthetic standards. Archaic can tell you that much. He's always bitching and moaning about how rap is dominated by an unfairly East Coast aesthetic bias. It doesn't surprise me that he hates Anticon because he hates anything that "bites" the Blowed (and the fact that they're a bunch of privileged white kids "biting" the Blowed makes it all the more easy to hate them), but it seems to me unfortunate that people are so unwilling to take the music for what it is as opposed to what they think it should be.

The main point which I'm beating to death for no good reason is that I can't see how anyone can listen to a Themselves record, or really any Anticon record, and have good ol' fashion hip-hop expectations for it. That's just fucking stupid.

I don't care how it's marketed, or what the title of the CD is, or what a section it's filed under: when you listen to the music, you realize pretty quickly that it's not "rap" in the same way that a lot of "rap" is. You don't have to like it. You can downright hate it. But I think to criticize the music itself for not doing something it has no intention of doing is just really limited and completely uninteresting.

e - am i experiencing deja vu or did we already have this debate here?

It might've been here but I thought it might also've been on your comments section of your site. I don't remember exactly and I know when we did have the discussion that I didn't reference the pedestrian interview which I think is breath-takingly articulate and pretty interesting. Sorry if I'm rehashing old shit and being on some emynd : Anticon what Archaic : Project Blowed. I don't really mean to be and a lot of this we can just chalk up to me just being bored at work.

Furthermore, I'm not really not interested in trying to convince anyone to like Anticon or anything because, as I've said, I'm really not into too much of the music anymore anyway. I just think they've become an easy joke on the internet for no good reason and since I've got a personal attachment to some of these dudes (and a lot of their earlier music), I feel compelled to stick up for them.

I didn't mean to extend this discussion with this post, but I probably did. Sorry.

-e

• My problem with anticon is that is all seems so calculated and forced. It seems to me that the subtext, intentional or not, of Anticon is one of "we're better than regular hip hop because we're more intellectual". That and the bullshit whining about girls emo rap shit like Atmosphere. I can't stand it. It reminds me of the Jello Biafra quote about how the most insulting thing in the world is middle class white American kids bitching about their problems when they are one of the most comfortable demographics on earth. Anticon's supporters bitch about being held to standards that don't apply to them while simultaneously claiming superiority to the conventions they refute. Can't have it both ways.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    I don't dislike Anticon because they bit the Blowed (remember, I'm the one who told you you were crazy for thinking that Anticon stole many of the Blowed's potential fans). I dislike Anticon because their music, with very few exceptions, sucks unkempt ass.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    i like selling their records on ebay

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't dislike Anticon because they bit the Blowed (remember, I'm the one who told you you were crazy for thinking that Anticon stole many of the Blowed's potential fans). I dislike Anticon because their music, with very few exceptions, sucks unkempt ass.

Remind us who did steal the Blowed's fans? The mind is beginning to boggle here...

Remind us who did steal the Blowed's fans? The mind is beginning to boggle here...

If anyone...Bone.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Anticon's supporters bitch about being held to standards that don't apply to them while simultaneously claiming superiority to the conventions they refute. Can't have it both ways.

Game over.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

you also raise a good point that they are filed in the rap section. and, in my experience as a college radio hip hop dj i can tell you that we were the ones these records were being promoted to, not the rock or the rpm department.

But not all hip-hop music(s) should be succeptible to the same aesthetic standards.

The main point which I'm beating to death for no good reason is that I can't see how anyone can listen to a Themselves record, or really any Anticon record, and have good ol' fashion hip-hop expectations for it. That's just fucking stupid.

Umm, because it was filed in the hip hop section. That is why someone can think that. I mean, it says hip hop. It claims hip hop.

If someone without any prior knowledge of anticon were to pick that up from the hip hop section on a whim, they would have certain expectations. Then they hear the record, and immediately it is not what they were expecting from a hip hop record, nor does it even really resemble a hip hop record.

And please explain why "not all hip-hop music(s) should be succeptible to the same aesthetic standards".

Because they are white kids pushing the hip hop envelope they should be held to different standards?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The only thing that I really care to say about the title "music for the advancement of hip-hop" is that yeah it's some pretentious bullshit,

What MC doesn't think that their crew is the best thing to happen to hip hop? Dudes are bragging, the same way that everyone else does. Whether they can back that shit up with skills, that's another story...

IMO, they is doo doo.

Peace

h

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I don't much care to extend this discussion because it's not something I particularly care about too much. So, I'm just gonna try to "wrap it up, B..."

yeah man, we are talking about a crew that's first record was called music for the advancement of hip hop. What the fuck are we supposed to expect? And while Dose One himself may have never explicitly stated that he makes rap records, but this is a guy who came up on the battle circut and has mostly surrounded himself with other hip hop artists and promoted a hip hop aesthetic for the early stages of his career. Like it or not, all artists are judged on the expectations set by their prior work.

The only thing that I really care to say about the title "music for the advancement of hip-hop" is that yeah it's some pretentious bullshit, but it's fucking Sole through and through. He's inciting and sarcastic as fuck. There's at least as much pretenious truth to the title of that record as there is sarcastic untruth in that title. Of course, it seems like just some pretentious white boy shit (and looks to be pretty darn racist and stupid), but as far as I'm concerned, the title of that record can't be taken as a straight-forward serious statement.

But, who cares? We agree that it's a stupid and potentially pretentious title. Let's talk about the music? The music doesn't seem to be anything particularly "new" any more, but as far as I was concerned, at the time, it was pretty adventerous for white folks to be doing "avant-garde" rap music in such an unabashed manner. What was interesting about Anticon was that they most certainly thought of themselves as an extension of the hip-hop tradition that they grew up on (I remember talking to sole and pedestrian about this shit and it always bothered them that people didn't really think of their music as "rap" music), but they came at it honestly as white kids who loved hip-hop but also weren't shy about their own more "white" and/or "non-street" influences as well. I was always impressed with Anticon's unabashed white-ness. They almost all had "wigger" roots and they almost all love the same early 90's shit that everyone else loves, but they grew out of that "wigger" phase and decided to make music that was more honest to them and the (in)authenticity of their motley background(s).

I think pedestrian (who, while i don't particularly like his music, seems to be one of the more level headed dudes out of the crew) is overstating the racial impact and overlooking the relative narrowminded nature of record buyers as a whole, in that there are very few artists who can comfortably move through genres without criticism or questioning of motives. Is that a good thing? of course not, but it is a reality, and race has a minimal factor in that. Ask Chris Gaines.

Possibly, but I don't think it's ever a mistake to talk about race when talking about hip-hop.

That said, as a purveyor of a lot of extremely experimental music, and not exclusively coming at it from a hip hop perspective, I don't find the majority of anticon's catalog to be particularly interesting. a lot of what they do has been done before, and a lot of it falls into the weird for the sake of weirdness catagory. Personally I've never questioned their motives or authenticity (because really, they are pretty much authenically suburn white boy rap nerds and there's nothing wrong with that, as i can personally vouch for), but i have questioned the enjoyability of their music.

That's fine and I can respect that completely. But, most Anticon criticism I'm familiar with is not as well-thought out as that and is just on some very basic "Anticon is cultural appropriation" and "Anticon is pretentious bullshit" shit that echoes thoughts Eric Arnold articulated about Anticon.

And using a pitchfork review as a reflection of the overall critical response in american music journalism is like using white castle for a case study on american cuisine.

This is funny, but I don't think it's an accurate analogy... nor a useful one. I think pedestrian's point is articulated very well in that pitchfork review, regardless of whether or not pitchfork accurately represents the overall critical response.

But not all hip-hop music(s) should be succeptible to the same aesthetic standards. Archaic can tell you that much. He's always bitching and moaning about how rap is dominated by an unfairly East Coast aesthetic bias. It doesn't surprise me that he hates Anticon because he hates anything that "bites" the Blowed (and the fact that they're a bunch of privileged white kids "biting" the Blowed makes it all the more easy to hate them), but it seems to me unfortunate that people are so unwilling to take the music for what it is as opposed to what they think it should be.

I don't care how it's marketed, or what the title of the CD is, or what a section it's filed under: when you listen to the music, you realize pretty quickly that it's not "rap" in the same way that a lot of "rap" is. You don't have to like it. You can downright hate it. But I think to criticize the music itself for not doing something it has no intention of doing is just really limited and completely uninteresting.

e - am i experiencing deja vu or did we already have this debate here?

It might've been here but I thought it might also've been on your comments section of your site. I don't remember exactly and I know when we did have the discussion that I didn't reference the pedestrian interview which I think is breath-takingly articulate and pretty interesting. Sorry if I'm rehashing old shit and being on some emynd : Anticon what Archaic : Project Blowed. I don't really mean to be and a lot of this we can just chalk up to me just being bored at work.

Furthermore, I'm not really not interested in trying to convince anyone to like Anticon or anything because, as I've said, I'm really not into too much of the music anymore anyway. I just think they've become an easy joke on the internet for no good reason and since I've got a personal attachment to some of these dudes (and a lot of their earlier music), I feel compelled to stick up for them.

I didn't mean to extend this discussion with this post, but I probably did. Sorry.

-e

look at this dude all heated cause he used to do beats for those dorks. hahaha. no offense man.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Anticon's supporters bitch about being held to standards that don't apply to them while simultaneously claiming superiority to the conventions they refute. Can't have it both ways.

This is a very interesting point and perhaps a viable one, but seeing as that I know them personally, I can safely say that I know they don't, in reality, claim any such superiority to these conventions that you think they "refute." But, I can see how you might garner that sentiment from their interviews and their mocking gangsta freestyles, etc (I remember cringing when reading a Passage interview where he actually said something like the following: '"I mean, honestly, how can anyone's album be "Liquid Swords."' That shit made me want to fucking shoot him and is, admittedly, the stupidest shit ever.)

However, that being said, I don't think their music itself necessarily claims any of that superiority... especially to the degree that "conscious rappers" claim superiority over "gangsta rappers."

So, my thing is, I can understand why people might think the above quotation and I wouldn't go to super-great lengths to argue against it. I would just suggest that perhaps that's not so much a response to their music itself (which is what we're talking about after all), but is more of a response to their personalities or their interviews or something. Perhaps not, but that's the suggestion I would make.

Hopefully, I've said all I'm going to say in this thread.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

And please explain why "not all hip-hop music(s) should be succeptible to the same aesthetic standards".

That's simple. What we like about Rakim we don't like about Too Short, no? Different aesthetic standards for the two.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    look at this dude all heated cause he used to do beats for those dorks. hahaha. no offense man.

Oh, none taken. We've gone different completely directions with our music.

And I am certainly not heated about any of this. I'm just sticking up for my buddies because I think they've got a bad rap.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    And let me do this before anybody else does...

bad rap.

Without starting a new thread...I finally had a chance to give the Project Blowed 10th Anniversary album a good listen...and as I would expect the CVE and Hip Hop Kclan tracks are worth the price of admission alone.

• am I the only fucking person in the world that has never heard a song by these guys?

from what I have saw/read they seem horrible...I am betting my assumption is correct.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Some of my best friends are white rappers.

Hey Archaic

You know I'm not like that!!! But I think there is a cultural gap going on in my lack of preference for Anticon. I was just being open and honest about what I thought. I hope no one took offense, cause none was meant.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    am I the only fucking person in the world that has never heard a song by these guys?

from what I have saw/read they seem horrible...I am betting my assumption is correct.

you are not the only person who has never heard a song by them. i assume that i would not dig them. somebody pointed them out to me walking down the street one time going to a show. they were all actually wearing backpacks, no kidding.

Some of my best friends are white rappers.

Hey Archaic

You know I'm not like that!!! But I think there is a cultural gap going on in my lack of preference for Anticon. I was just being open and honest about what I thought. I hope no one took offense, cause none was meant.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Don't worry, there's not many white mc's that I like either.

they were all actually wearing backpacks, no kidding.

And they haven't been offed for it by now? How dare them carry stuff.

they were going to a show. i wear a backpack to work, not to a show. what the fuck do they need a backpack for?

how dare you take that tone with me young man.

they were going to a show. i wear a backpack to work, not to a show. what the fuck do they need a backpack for?

I don't know what they had in their backpacks...but X-Clan used to have books and fruit in theirs.

I don't know what they had in their backpacks...but X-Clan used to have books and fruit in theirs.

fruit and books indeed get the bluesnag seal of approval.

fruit and books indeed get the bluesnag seal of approval.

i was about to go to bed and then realized that while i generally approve of fruit and books (to varying degrees depending on the fruit and books) i still wonder why they all gotta wear backpacks to the show. ok, so maybe they want to eat some fruit at the show when they get hungry. can't one of them wear a backpack and be the designated fruit carrier? and when are they all going to read the books? in between the acts? it just doesn't add up. i need more justification for all of them wearing the backpacks.

• loginlogin 52 Posts

But not all hip-hop music(s) should be succeptible to the same aesthetic standards.

Umm, because it was filed in the hip hop section. That is why someone can think that. I mean, it says hip hop. It claims hip hop.

If someone without any prior knowledge of anticon were to pick that up from the hip hop section on a whim, they would have certain expectations. Then they hear the record, and immediately it is not what they were expecting from a hip hop record, nor does it even really resemble a hip hop record.

Because they are white kids pushing the hip hop envelope they should be held to different standards?

I feel this way about Lex records and "bip hop".

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

And whips and chains and cattle prods for certain female members of the crew.

I wish I was lying.

Fuck you and your heroes

Oh, Anticon is trying to do hip-hop. Sorry, but if it raps and it uses a drum machine and it samples, it's (bad) hip-hop.

These dudes took there entire method from rap, they used to call themselves rappers (having spoken with Dose and Sole) and yet want to be judged by standards more of say, Beck? They're just not talented enough to convince anyone to take them seriously with that.

Bottom line is that they're not musically talented by any standard.

I wish I was lying.

Fuck you and your heroes

Who said they were my heroes?

Bottom line is that they're not musically talented by any standard.

Only place I've ever met Anticon artists...at Kirb's of course.

That freestyled song off of Dominant Mammals with Sole along for the ride wasn't all that bad.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I wish I was lying.

Fuck you and your heroes

Who said they were my heroes?

Sorry, just a favorite phrase from Da Lench Mob... not meaning you, per se, but whoever might have thought of those guys as heroic. They most certainly were not...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Sorry, just a favorite phrase from Da Lench Mob... not meaning you, per se, but whoever might have thought of those guys as heroic. They most certainly were not...

Plaese to elaborate. And where did you find that nugget about them packin' whips, chains, and cattle prods?