Anticon, does anyone here like them??

Comments

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    "An AK talks but bullshit runs
    I wish I had time to count all my guns!!"

I love that album!

"I wish I was in dixie AK...AK!!!"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There's this one track I really liked back in the day. It had Dose, Soul and at least one more of those guys. I was this story of a dude getting shanked in a club and each rapper told it from a different perspective: The victim, the stabber, a bystander. It was a cool concept anyway.

Sounds like someone saw Rashomon for the very first time. Pfft. Folks were ripping that method for 80s cartoons; like when the Muppet Babies were trying to find out what the fuck a tea strainer was or when the Gummi Bears were trying to get to the bottom of something.

And the only thing I can say for "anticon." is that after hearing the line "this is good art AND bad art," it seriously made me want to commit a violent act against my friend's car stereo. One of the worst lyrics I've ever heard. It actually made me mad. Someone more versed with this clique needs to post the whole song. Just ignoble shit.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    There's this one track I really liked back in the day. It had Dose, Soul and at least one more of those guys. I was this story of a dude getting shanked in a club and each rapper told it from a different perspective: The victim, the stabber, a bystander. It was a cool concept anyway.

I think that might be off of the Deep Puddle Dynamics album with Slug and a couple other anticon dudes. It's one of the few anticon album's I can get with.

• Anticon has a bunch of good albums. Selling live water, bottle of humans, unindian music, anything jel has done, personal journals, THEM, The no music is good in its own horrible way. Odd nosdam did the soundtrack to a dope element video that just came out... and I think hes a good producer.
    I think it has merit... and that lots of the production is well done. Its moody... but honestly not everyone needs to express themselves the same way.
    Im not gonna defend anticon as a whole... I cant hate on it though for sure. A lot of good concious music that came out of the 70s was released by middle class white folk whining about the establishment. I think every perspective has its place.

and PS....

Jel is way iller on the MPC live than shadow maybe on the MPC all together... any time any day....

for that matter.... Jel is better on the MPC live than anyone... period.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    In Ten years heads will probably seeking out the clouddead ten inches. That aside, a lot of the music that they have put out--like it or not--fills a stark musical void. The new Sole album will be ridiculous.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Alright dudes, pretty awful music. Even when you talk to them now, in person, they are still gloomy and whine about the state of things, even after they sold tons of records and built up a cult following.

I never knew how influential they were until I started getting all these promo CDs of music that sounded just like them.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Jel is way iller on the MPC live than shadow maybe on the MPC all together... any time any day....

Isn't Jel known for using an SP1200? Or does he switch shit up for live performances?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    The new Sole album will be ridiculous.

I'll presume you're using 'ridiculous' in the pejorative sense.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I didn't really make it through this entire thread - just wanted to say that while I can't stand any of the mc's associated with Anticon, I think Jels instrumental solo stuff is great. The latest album has some unlistenable vocal stuff but the instros are solid, and I really like his old album 10 seconds. Don't avoid it just because of the Anticon tag, is what I'm saying.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Isn't Jel known for using an SP1200? Or does he switch shit up for live performances?

He's on the MPC nowadays- search youtube for some facemelting (previously posted) videos of him drumming live on it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    MP3 TIME.

some anticon songs that i like:

pity party people:

the song about the knifing at the club:

a GREAT dose one track:

greenthink w/ sluggo:
    http://www.divshare.com/download/2314044-6fb

them -lyrical cougal

sole - year of da sexx symbol

prefuse and dose - do tell

dose - spitfire

blud n gutz

• don't know enough about them to form a valid opinion or contribute anything relevant to this debate, this however is quite dope.

• Jel is way iller on the MPC live than shadow maybe on the MPC all together... any time any day....

I thought that too until seeing Davinci from Sol.illaquist of Sound. I can't get on YouTube or google.video from here or I'd supply a link. Do a search for him and prepare to be amazed.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    heres my take on it

i gave this stuff a chance, my friends' cousin was one of the dudes who made beats for them (i dont remember which dude it is) but he gave me one or two of his beat-tapes back when i was 12, and it really kinda put me to the point where i HAD to start making beats. a lot of the stuff was really boring and monotonous and not my style, but the stuff that was good, was great, and exactly the kind of sound i would have looked for. i listened to the first tape over and over because i really liked it , and he said the dude used a dr. sample, which was what i had, so i could totally relate and sometimes wondered how he was able to layer more than 4 sounds (he used a 4-track.)

anyway, once i started hearing the vocal stuff, which mostly used the stuff i DIDNT like off the beat tapes, if anything, i lost interest. i mean, its some of the boringest shit ive ever heard. seriously. if i met these dudes i doubt id have a problem, and im all for "the advancement of hip-hop" but jesus, dont advance it by making it monotonous and boring, make it MORE exciting, because thats what hip-hop is about, from my standpoint. its exciting music.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I thought that too until seeing Davinci from Sol.illaquist of Sound. I can't get on YouTube or google.video from here or I'd supply a link. Do a search for him and prepare to be amazed.

YOu're kidding right? Davinci is the homeboy, but he's all theatrics. Jel plays drum patterns that melt your face, Davinci melts his mpc with his face. Dude is simply triggering a single phrase repeatedly. THat is, unless he has changed his format since I last saw him.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The new Sole album will be ridiculous.

I'll presume you're using 'ridiculous' in the pejorative sense.
    Not at all. MY friend's band did all the instrumentation. Tough drums. The rapping is pretty much in line with what you'd expect--although Sole says its toned down, it hits me the same as his previous stuff--but the music is, to quote myself, "ridiculous."

On a seperate note, even if you don't like what these dudes are saying as emcees, you have to understand that this crew has some of the sickest cadence out there.
    Br>What did people think of Anticon releasing that Darc Mind album?

What did people think of Anticon releasing that Darc Mind album?

10 years too late. that track on the soul in the hole ost had me anticipating a release.

• On a seperate note, even if you don't like what these dudes are saying as emcees, you have to understand that this crew has some of the sickest cadence out there.
    Br>What did people think of Anticon releasing that Darc Mind album?

, I can see you making a case for Dose maybe (although I disagree), but e.g. pedestrian is probably the most unmusical rapper I've ever heard and the last time I heard, Sole was yelling and ranting - not what I consider "cadence." You'd have a better case defending their lyrics, however pretentious they may be. And don't think I'm unfamiliar with their stuff or a "hater," I own several Anticon releases, even some rare CD-R stuff (though I haven't actually bought more than a couple things).

Darc Mind LP - what Jaymack said. Hasn't aged well at all.

• wack.... all he does is hit the repeat button... then hit the buttons with his feet and shit. JEL hits every sample live... no sequencing... hes Frickin' amazing. I've seen davinci like 4 times when i used to live in Orlando. He really pissed me off back then. I respect his music... and even his mpc styles... He just is no match for jel... they are in 2 totally different classes. Look at the video in page 7 of this thread.

• observobserv 55 Posts
    yeah i agree davinci aint too impressive, dude puts on a crazy show hyping himself up, but just is more cool and cerebral with his effort and kills it 100 times harder...

anywho heres some of the new sole with the skyrider band

selling live water still is my favorite sole album, tokyo and plutonium kill.....

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

YOu're kidding right? Davinci is the homeboy, but he's all theatrics. Jel plays drum patterns that melt your face, Davinci melts his mpc with his face. Dude is simply triggering a single phrase repeatedly. THat is, unless he has changed his format since I last saw him.

Jel was impresive...I've never checked for Anticon seemed like some weirdo nerd shit....

This must be what your talking bout:

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

, I can see you making a case for Dose maybe (although I disagree), but e.g. pedestrian is probably the most unmusical rapper I've ever heard and the last time I heard, Sole was yelling and ranting - not what I consider "cadence." You'd have a better case defending their lyrics, however pretentious they may be. And don't think I'm unfamiliar with their stuff or a "hater," I own several Anticon releases, even some rare CD-R stuff (though I haven't actually bought more than a couple things).

Darc Mind LP - what Jaymack said. Hasn't aged well at all.

Not trying to be abrasive, but, do you rap? THese guys are incredibly innovative when it comes to cadence. What always gripped me was the fact that I invariably have a tough time keeping up with them. Check Pedestrian's cadence on Generation of Deadbeats, and Attack of the Postmodern Pat Boones. Check Sole's cadence on Center City, and Run Rabbit (for starters). If you don't think that these are prime examples of cadence then I will gladly continue this discussion.

IT's all love, no hat.

• Not trying to be abrasive, but, do you rap?

Could this become the "Do you party?" of 2008?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Not trying to be abrasive, but, do you rap?

Could this become the "Do you party?" of 2008?
    No, because Hip Hop is dead. Long live JAZZ FEWSHIN!

• MP3 TIME.

pity party people:

a GREAT dose one track:

greenthink w/ sluggo:

Are you joking? Granted, I only listened to that first one posted..but Jesus. That is exactly what I pictured all of that sounding like. No offense..but...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    MP3 TIME.

pity party people:

a GREAT dose one track:

greenthink w/ sluggo:

Are you joking? Granted, I only listened to that first one posted..but Jesus. That is exactly what I pictured all of that sounding like. No offense..but...

I don't have a donload protocol, nor do i have mp3s of any of the stuff I used to have on wax, but if you get the chance check out the Them track John Brown's Vaporizer. I'd say that's one of the more accesible things, and the beat is sick.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    So can we concede from this thread that:

Jel=dope

and

The rest of the crew= ?????

• don't know enough about them to form a valid opinion or contribute anything relevant to this debate, this however is quite dope.

I have no idea which one that guy is..but, i'm not mad at shit like this at all.

But all that crazy weird sounding shit gotta go..

along with all the rapping.