What Do You Think of Goodie Mob?

Comments

• 16_beat16_beat 56 Posts
    yeah, the black ice remix w/ outkast is one of my favorite cuts (not to take anything away from goodie mob but andre benjamin destroys that track) ... they're a pretty essential group - not sure how you could leave them out of the three six mafia/outkast/ugk/geto boys/8ball & mjg/etc canon of the best & most influential from the south .. shame that they sort of fizzled out because i've not really been too into the solo shit or the lumberjacks lp outside of one or two cuts (steppin out, supafriends, call me etccccc) ... i would agree that as far as rap groups go it doesnt get all that much better

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Ahh, rap critics and their

tendency to overemphasize their drawls

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This thread needs more "shut down the game" style commentary from Dizzy_Young_Guzzo. I'm just waiting for one of them to say, "I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in ___________".

I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in Your Mom's Bedroom?

Mad? probably not.
    bitter? maybe.
    insignificant? Oh hells yeah!

This thread needs more "shut down the game" style commentary from Dizzy_Young_Guzzo. I'm just waiting for one of them to say, "I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in ___________".

I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in Your Mom's Bedroom?

Mad? probably not.
    bitter? maybe.

What?!? That joke about your mom's room was fabulous. admit it. And I was in Korea when that came out, so actually the correct quote would be:

"I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in South[/b] Korea".

yeah, thats right, I was in the SOUTH and didn't even hear it!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

What?!? That joke about your mom's room was fabulous. admit it. And I was in Korea when that came out, so actually the correct quote would be:

yeah, thats right, I was in the SOUTH

You were still surrounded by Yankees (go home) so nope.

Mad? probably not.
    bitter? maybe.

yeah, thats right, I was in the SOUTH and didn't even hear it!!!

A question then... Did you hate South Korean culture as much as you hate southern rap* culture?

*please read many things into this question.

• babblesbabbles 29 Posts
    Love me some Goodie MOB. Two stories of me and the Goodie's music and life being just a little bit more surtrill.

1. Summer '95 in Austin TX was walking home late-night from a party with a crew of folks; drunk, zooted to the gills and generally acting a fool. Music could be heard in the distance. Goodie MOB. "Cell Therapy." Up ahead in the 7-11 parking lot an old bearded hillbilly Grizzly Adams looking bum dude had a hand-carved walking stick in one-hand and a '80s style boom-box in the other, blasting that Goodie Mob and dancing like Bill Cosby underneath the flourescent glow of the gas-pumps. I don't know where he got that boombox, but apparently it came with a complimentary Goodie MOB cd, and we stayed in that parking lot with him for the length of it, rapping along and dancing like Bill Cosby our own selves.

2. Summer '98 ATL, hanging back in the hometown with my high-school friends we crashed some ridiculously fancy party at some ridiculously fancy Downtown hotel. It was lame. I got fucked up. I think we stole all their booze. On the way out we sparked a blunt in the elevator and somebody began chanting the "sky high" chorus from "Black Ice." We all started chanting along and grew more and more hype until we were jumping up and down and screaming "sky high!" and punching out the celing tiles on the elevator. Suddenly the elevator doors opened and an entire crowd of taxpayer looking motherfuckers was staring at us in shock and awe as our screams died down and the dust from the ceiling tiles began to settle. Shocked out of our revelry, we paused for a moment as well, then simulataneously all screamed "Sky High!" one last time and went tear-assing through the poeple, out of the lobby, and into the streets.

Love me some Goodie MOB.

A question then... Did you hate South Korean culture as much as you hate southern rap* culture?

*please read many things into this question.

Oooh! This is an interesting question! Except I can only really see one way to read into it.

First, let me specify that the "rap" caveat was unnecessary. Unless the question was about south korean rap, which yes, is awful. But yes, Southern "culture" rubs me the wrong way.

I didn't know anything about the south until I moved to Georgia from california for my freshman year of highschool. I spent one year in Georgia. I don't really have bad memories of Georgia, although I was definitely ready to leave after one year. The most shocking thing I remember was finding out that the Klan still existed down there. It was "history book" stuff until I moved there. Also, I was equally as shocked that people still gave a shit about the civil war, which in California was just another boring ass chapter of history to sit through. In GA you would have thought the war happened last year. Rebel Flags, "The South Shoulda Won" t-shirt, Hank fucking Williams Jr.... I mean Jesus... I was like "what the fuck is wrong with these people??"

The next year I moved to Texas, which were the most miserable 3 years of my life. The only reason I joined the Army is because it was the only way out of Texas at 17. I found the people there to be vile, ignorant, racist, asshole hicks with no concept of the world outside of their little hole. Of course there were exceptions, and I made some dear friends while I was there, but on the whole I found the place and the people to be cheap and shallow.

After I got out of the Army my family was still living out there, so I moved back home. I though maybe it would be different after 4 years, but it was still the godawful place I had run away from. After 6 months back I couldn't take it anymore. I called up an old Army friend in San Diego, and 2 weeks later packed up my car and moved out here, with no job and almost no money to my name. And I've been happy here ever since.

We have our share of Fucktards in San Diego, but nothing in comparison to Texas. And we have a few Hillbillies, Rednecks, and Shitkickers, but they pretty much stay in East County where they belong and leave the normal people in the city alone.

I realize I'm totally showing my ass here, and will probably get flamed to death for admitting all of this, but I just can't help it. I actually feel guilty that I'm able to harbor so much hate, in fact sometimes I feel ashamed about feeling this way. I realize that its foul, because there are wonderful people anywhere you go, and also shitbags anywhere you go. But for some reason I can't let go of that subconsious hate that I have for the south.

As far as southern rap is concerned, I don't really give a shit who makes what. DMX had bullshit play-along-keyboard beats and he was from NY. Cee-lo is one of my favorit artists out there. I can actually call him an artist without using "quotation marks". Scarface is one of the best to ever walk the earth. Outcast is super creative. Its bullshit soundalike 5-year-old-could-do-it beats and ABC-123 cat in the hat rhyming that I can't stand. And that shit is coming from everywhere right now, even fucking NYC (fucking sellout bastards).

I will ONLY recognize an "artist" based on the artistic worth of the "art". If you can defend something as good based solely on where it came from, then go ahead, but you are going to have a hard time convincing me of it. Goodie Mob... I have to admit I wasn't around when it came out, and although I've always meant to check it out, I never got around to it. So I can't comment. I've always assumed it was good simply based on all the praise its gotten over the years.

and as far as south korea.... well, that would take pages.

By the way, the concept behind this thread was very:

• I fucking love "soul food". Such an amazing record. It had so much pain and for lack of a better term "soul" to it (that joint where they re-do that Bohanon track...!). I would definetly put it in my all-time favourite albums. I was also blown away how they where able to openly discuss the new-world order in the song/video. I rememebr I traded a Jaz EP to Ness for that LP. I only had the cassette.

I still woudn't consider them legends. I think a great group that got overlooked and made legend worthy music. I slept on the second album and didn't even bother checking the later LP'S.

Cee-Lo's second album is probally one of the great slept on albums of the past few years, but I still can't really say I'm looking forward to his Dangermouse album (I'm more curious about the Jazze Pha and Plant Life collab's)

Next to Cee-Lo I like Big Gipp (how was the album he did? Steppin' out is crate staple).

Speaking of Dungeon Family/Outkast Related material[/b]

how damn crazy are the Scar & Jonelle Monet tracks on the Purple Ribbon Album? I can't believe those two singles are clogging-up the dollar bins. Really some of the best soul cuts in the past months.

• This thread needs more "shut down the game" style commentary from Dizzy_Young_Guzzo. I'm just waiting for one of them to say, "I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in ___________".

you sound ass-hurt, hommy.

but aside from Steppin' out sneaking it's way into mix-segements and occasioanl sometime dropping of "Cell-Therapy" and me playing the fuck out of Cee-Lo album cuts they ARE HIGHLY IRRELVENT TO THE LOCAL BLACK AND YOUNG FEMALE ADMIN ASSITANT EXPERIENCE.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Dizzy-

where in texas did you live? you do seem to harbor an decent amount of spite for that state, but even as a former texan i can understand some element of contempt for certain places in texas. areas that i never felt comfortable visiting. personally, if you say certain areas around dallas , you really will never have to explain yourself to me again...it would be understood.

or as goodie mob would say "i would overstand"

let me get a chop at this lumber

• This thread needs more "shut down the game" style commentary from Dizzy_Young_Guzzo. I'm just waiting for one of them to say, "I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in ___________".

you sound ass-hurt, hommy.

but aside from Steppin' out sneaking it's way into mix-segements and occasioanl sometime dropping of "Cell-Therapy" and me playing the fuck out of Cee-Lo album cuts they ARE HIGHLY IRRELVENT TO THE LOCAL BLACK, GAY, JEWISH AND YOUNG FEMALE TELEVISON PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE.

I got no qualms with goodie mob.

That Big Gipp album wasn't even a half a consideration to buy that Steppin Out video was only good for stoned laughs.

Cee-lo has made some great solo stuff but he was the dude I was always more amped to hear on Goodie Mob tracks anyways.

Call Me w/ Timbaland is my shit

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Cee-lo has made some great solo stuff but he was the dude I was always more amped to hear on Goodie Mob tracks anyways.

Pay up, Noz.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yeah you win.

I am completely shocked that there are people (even guzzo) who know who Cee-Lo is and have never heard any[/b] goodie mob. disconnected from the streets doesnt even do this situation justice. I mean even the mack knew what's up and he was like ten when still standing dropped. You need to get your life in order. And I'm not trying to be on some elitist know it all tip, i just feel bad because you're missing out on some of the greatest rap music ever made.

(insert johnny paychecks get familiar)

I have no fear of publically proclaiming my love for the Society Of Soul LP. However, it shocks me to know that you actually own "World Party".

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I have no fear of publically proclaiming my love for the Society Of Soul LP. However, it shocks me to know that you actually own "World Party".

People shit on that record a lot, because it was such a step down for goodie, but it's got some joints on it - "Chain Swang," "ICU".

There are more embarassing 12"s in that stack. Like the Macy Gray "Do Something" ONP/Cee-Lo Remix

I have no fear of publically proclaiming my love for the Society Of Soul LP.

Whatcha know about that Mista "Blackberry Molasses"?

Was that a big record outside of Atlanta?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i suspect the series of blank white sleeves in that picture would be the Slimm 'Cutta' Calhoun 12" that were sent out in abundance? I think i had about 15 copies of each single. I Still jam to the "cut song"

and have you properly repped backbone(5duece4tres)?

The Bay Area Kufi Crew was all up on it.

I believe this was before the boy Phonics was old enough to be called "Young", however...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i suspect the series of blank white sleeves in that picture would be the Slimm 'Cutta' Calhoun 12" that were sent out in abundance? I think i had about 15 copies of each single. I Still jam to the "cut song"

It took me years to find a dollar copy of Slim's "Okay"... and then I started seeing it everywhere

I've still never seen the Backbone cut on a 12", unless it has a non-obvious title

I believe this was before the boy Phonics was old enough to be called "Young", however...

I knew a guy back then that worked for some kind of a film production company that had a relation with the DF/ONP artists and who was involved with filming the video. He also worked on Joi and Big Gipp's "Ghetto Superstar" video where he was charged with painting a banner with the title of the song on it, which he spelled "Ghetto SuPPerstar"

I knew a guy back then that worked for some kind of a film production company that had a relation with the DF/ONP artists and who was involved with filming the video. He also worked on Joi and Big Gipp's "Ghetto Superstar" video where he was charged with painting a banner with the title of the song on it, which he spelled "Ghetto SuPPerstar"

Perhaps he knew something we didn't - Gipp has upped us on his pastry game, but we really don't know what he does about supper - which, to me, is just as important.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Vertically stacked records are prone to warpage.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I own World Party. While not totally sucking, it comes close to that.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Goodie Mobb are the shit. Saw them perform with members of Fishbone acting as their band. They then performed alongside Fishbone, including a 15 minute set by Joi.

Amazing show.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

and you know this. that shit is dollar bin gold. another one to look out for is the non-album "Why Ya Smilin?" with big boi.

Of course. I bought the album the day it came out (should've waited like a week for it to hit the cutout bins). It had some duds on it but also some seriously great moments - super sparse ONP production and a great posse cut with big rube and goodie.

Goodie Mobb are the shit. Saw them perform with members of Fishbone acting as their band. They then performed alongside Fishbone, including a 15 minute set by Joi.

Amazing show.

I saw Joi with Fishbone about eight years ago, and Gipp briefly came out. That was a really good show.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Amazing show.

I saw Joi with Fishbone about eight years ago, and Gipp briefly came out. That was a really good show.

What ever happened with Joi? Last I heard weren't her and Gipp on some swinger shit and she stopped singing?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Of course. I bought the album the day it came out (should've waited like a week for it to hit the cutout bins). It had some duds on it but also some seriously great moments - super sparse ONP production and a great posse cut with big rube and goodie.

^^^
    so true

"5duece" got major spins on my college radio show when it came out...i dug that track and a few others. But that album couldn't sell for $hit at the record store i worked at. Cut-out bin gold right there.

and while on this road down DF memory lane, i just want to point out how jamming PA's 'sundown' was...