What Do You Think of Goodie Mob?

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Southern haters and lovers alike - how do you feel about goodie mob? who is your favorite member of the group? do you own khujo's the man, not the dawg? did it send chills up your spine when little johnny across the street hung himself from the bunk bed? have you ever played ghetto lazer tag with TLC? are they legends? or merely southern legends?imho - = perfect. they are quite possibly my favorite rap group of all time.

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    (this survey will help settle a debate with a resident SS hatter. we will not distribute your contact information to any third parties)

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Southern haters and lovers alike - how do you feel about goodie mob?

This Southern Gal [no Terry Ellis of En Vogue fame] likes 'em...

who is your favorite member of the group?
    Cee-lo, by far, followed by Big Gipp...Khujo is pretty nice on the mic, though.

do you own khujo's the man, not the dawg? did it send chills up your spine when little johnny across the street hung himself from the bunk bed? have you ever played ghetto lazer tag with TLC?

No, no, and no...Does that make me a hatter, or just disconnected from the skreets?

are they legends?

Absolutely!

or merely southern legends?

"Even the ghetto is still God's property!"

they are quite possibly my favorite rap group of all time.

No disrespect, but don't forget about these dudes:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Without answering the ancillary questions, those albums kick ass. Soul Food has aged sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo well with time, holy crap. I need to dig out Still Standing. MEGA REALNESS like

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    classic across the board. always wondered why they never got the shine outkast did.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

imho -

= perfect.

That sums it up for me.

I still feel bad for the old man under I-20.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    okay...a few things.

these dudes put on one of the best live shows i have seen from a hip-hop group and still till this day perhaps one of my top 3 favorite hip-hops shows EVAR.

soul food is a remarkable record. "thought process" is a fucking remarkable song, and andre's verse is a classic unfukwitable verse

The thought process...
    Now as an Outkast I was born, wasn't warned of the harm
    That would come to meet me like Met Life, but yet life
    Done sent me through a lot of up's and down like it ain't nothing'
    Like elevators but I ain't the one that's pushin' the buttons
    I got off at the 13th floor, when they told me that it wasn't one
    They said it skipped from 12 to 14
    Still smoking, still drinking, no I'm sittin' on the Lincoln
    4 A.M. thinkin' that in reality the world is like a ball full of playas
    We trapped off in this maze with walls made of layers
    And only prayers is the tightest game that you can have
    The devil's takin' a swing that might explain the broken glass
    But my crystal ball see the pistol fall to the wayside
    Nobody would die in cops and robbers when we used to play right

Huh, the only thang we feared was (when it rained?)
    Never though about hittin' licks or slangin' caine
    Didn't think I'd be the one to give in to abortion
    Label me murderer because my ass is scorchin'
    Hot from the glock that sits under my seat
    Yeah, it's real fucked up that my folks come to get me
    And it's like dat, yeah...and it's like dem!

these dudes changed the game for me. at the time soul food came out ('95) i was stuck in a very NY/LA centric frame of mind and this group really made me understand how much groups from the south could contribute with respect to different viewpoints, styles, etc. I know for a lot of "i ain't fucking with that slow southern drawl shit" dudes, this group opened a lot of closed minds.

Still Standing is also a fucking gem...although admittedly it does not get as many rotations as soul food for me. nonetheless its a great album.

What is a shame, is that neither of these albums sold remarkably well (especially compared to Kast) so these dudes had to take a "pop" approach with World Party. Which apparently sold the most out of their catalog, even though it was a weaksauce album.

in short...i'm a big fan

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn dude, i need to listen to still standing. havent heard it in a MINUTE. bought that shit when it came out on tapea long with Dj Dmd and it was my fuggin SOUNDTRACK. love it mayne!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    the good[/b] die[/b] m[/b]ostly o[/b]ver b[/b]ullshit.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i ain't done...

so pissed at myself for never getting a hold of one of the "tabasco" goodie mob items. such a dope design

and big boi changing the game with his astros jersey.

even in my college/coffeehouse/mindsex days i got down with the esthero/goodie mob remix of "the world i know". i ain't mad. dope song.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Best. Movie. Ever.

As for Goodie...whew! Their shit was crazy. "Who's that peekin' in my window? BLAW! Nobody now!" Just amazing work. What about the song they did on Muggs' first record? Wall-to-wall bangers, capped off by a ree-fucking-diculous verse by Cee-Lo. "In building 23/Right next door to me!"

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Can't say i was ever really a big fan, but not hating for sure.

Cee_lo as a solo artist? That is some vvvvvvery good musics. I absolutely love the 2nd solo Lp.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Can't fuck with Cee Lo my favorite verse of his is from the Soul Assassins LP the song Decisions, Decisions:

Relentless realism regardless represents
    South West goes out, possess the manifest that's heaven sent
    What's said is meant to the fullest extent
    No nonsense because my conscience wouldn't be content
    But just a little wealth, a little fame
    But your mind-frame will keep you living the same
    And it's a shame that niggas would settle with the ghetto
    Huh, hoes have some clothes that ain't makin what you suppose
    Let your eyes close to what your contract shows
    and fine print, they gotta get back every cent you spent
    You content cuz, you do what everybody does
    The industry that change you from the person you was
    Knee-deep in the struggle
    Two part-time jobs to juggle
    Gotta lady and a c that you can't hardly feed
    Any day your life could end so you depend
    on the reciting and the writing when you got the spare time to spend
    To keep you stable, hopin one day you'll be able
    To be a commodity on somebody's record label
    Got your chance, twenty thousand dollar advance
    and a car and all of a sudden you a star at the bar
    ballin, callin the waiter to bring one of they finest wines
    Then you started snortin lines, your life defines
    the misconception of stayin down
    You can't be influenced by everybody you hang round
    You shoulda been more appreciative
    of the life that you were blessed to live
    A hundred percent is what you got to give
    Cos ain't no tellin, yo' bullshit start smellin
    And you wonder why your record ain't sellin
    no more, endin up with no dough
    and no respect back in the projects
    and building 23, right next door to me, heheheh

What about the song they did on Muggs' first record? Wall-to-wall bangers, capped off by a ree-fucking-diculous verse by Cee-Lo. "In building 23/Right next door to me!"

DAMN! I forgot about that song. That shit was . Man if anyone has this lying around plase to upload it. I will be forever grateful.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Legends, batchs.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Cee_lo as a solo artist? That is some vvvvvvery good musics. I absolutely love the 2nd solo Lp.

Plaese pick up the SOUL FOOD CD

Nothing Cee-Lo's done since is fucking with it

So, noz, do I win?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    So, noz, do I win?

Let's call it a draw. We got what like 15 posts before someone even brought up cee-lo's solo records. And not one OMG I CANT WAIT FOR GNARLS BARKLEY DANGER MOUSE IS THE BEST.

I still want to hear guzzo weigh in on the issue.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Southern haters and lovers alike - how do you feel about goodie mob? who is your favorite member of the group? do you own khujo's the man, not the dawg? did it send chills up your spine when little johnny across the street hung himself from the bunk bed? have you ever played ghetto lazer tag with TLC? are they legends? or merely southern legends?

imho -

= perfect.

Hey, Noz,

Its funny you posted this because I was going to make a Goodie Mob thread. All of the talk about southern rap had me revisiting some classic albums & "soulfood" was one that I put on. I've slept a little on "Still Standing", but maybe I should dig that out, too.

peace

h

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Soul Food came out a time when I was really not feelin hip-hop (I might be going through that again???) and it completely floored me and took me by surprise. It seemed like a true southern hip-hop record with a serious soul/gospel inflluence that I hadn't heard before or even since? I might have to revisit "still standing"- I remember not being too into it at the time.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Undeniable legends with a great contribution to the game.

These dungeon fam dudes came with well-thought out polished original music.

Pure skills+shining stars and a fresh sound with genuine passion and drive.

They shined out of the south and forced people to look for them and were so undeniably good that heads had to follow

Thats what making music should be all about and for a short time it was damn near perfect. And is still strong today.

And not one OMG I CANT WAIT FOR GNARLS BARKLEY DANGER MOUSE IS THE BEST.

My bad.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You would think I would love em, but I've always been kinda indifferent towards them. In fact after having already listened to tons of Texas rap by the time that Goodie Mob dropped, I was kinda annoyed by their tendency to overemphasize their Southern drawls.

At any rate, they've got some classic cuts for certain. Black Ice in particular is

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Whatchu n*ggas know about the Duurty South?...so hard

I'm still checkin for Killer Mike too..blasted "my chrome" all summer long.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    anyone got sky high on mp3? one of my favouritest of beats ever. i had no luck on soulseek, someone please upload it!

anyone got sky high on mp3? one of my favouritest of beats ever. i had no luck on soulseek, someone please upload it!

Try searching for it by its actual title, "Black Ice".

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

Try searching for it by its actual title, "Black Ice".

oh damn, no wonder i didnt find anything. just heard the hook in my head. thought it was kinda that noone had that song on there.

This thread needs more "shut down the game" style commentary from Dizzy_Young_Guzzo. I'm just waiting for one of them to say, "I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in ___________".

This thread needs more "shut down the game" style commentary from Dizzy_Young_Guzzo. I'm just waiting for one of them to say, "I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in ___________".

I never heard it any Goodie Mob in the clubs or the radio in Your Mom's Bedroom?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    You would think I would love em, but I've always been kinda indifferent towards them. In fact after having already listened to tons of Texas rap by the time that Goodie Mob dropped, I was kinda annoyed by their tendency to overemphasize their Southern drawls.

At any rate, they've got some classic cuts for certain. Black Ice in particular is

classic.