Records You've Scratched (Heartbreak Related)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
"OHFUCK!!!" That's exactly what I said this afternoon when, with the slip of my hand, the needled cut into the Mike James Krikland record. It's on the second side, but is feelable with nail AND flesh through 1/2 the first song and 1/3 of the second one. Jesus. So mad, doggie.Please share instances or stories of accidentally scratching or jacking up your own records...this isn't gonna be pretty, folks, but I need some sympathy here.I think I put a pretty deep scratch into my Sylvers II also. Gotta be more careful.

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i got a short stack of reggae 12s in the mail that i got off of ebay for a good deal. i took one off the turntable, which turned out to be the best one, put it in the sleeve, slipped out of my hand, and fell edge-first onto the hardwood floor. the result was a huge crack in the record. OHFUCK! i was pissed.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    put a big gash in my freshly opened archie whitewater when i sneezed.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    with the slip of my hand, the needled cut into the Mike James Krikland record.
    I think I put a pretty deep scratch into my Sylvers II also.
    Gotta be more careful.

Yes dude! Jesus what are you doing playing frisbee with them?

I rolled over a rare 45 with an office chair, cracking it

I seriously damaged my first copy of 24 Karat Black, ruining the first song and part of the second with a loud pop every rotation. Still have it because it's pretty much unsellable.

my set of keys dropped off the top expedit row, landing smack dab in the middle of Gal Costa's face

Not terrible but she now has a small puncture wound

I've been more careful over the past few years and (knock on wood) haven't done too much damage.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    my dog bit some big chunks out of the sleeves of my John Braheny and Clifford thornton "freedom and unity" records

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I accidentally barfed on my Turner Bros.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have a vintage microphone much like this:

It weighs around 12 lbs ...

... I had it displayed on a little platform next to my
    turntables, and once, when I was listening to my copy
    Best of Kool & the Gang (the '71 gold cover one),
    it fell right on top of the record on the turntable, digging
    a horrid 7" gouge across one side. I wanted to cry. I changed
    it's display location to far far away from my rackords...

Also, at my radio station they have those thick
    metal 45 adapters:

- and they tend to be too big for the 45's...once, after playing
    a Sam Baker 45 on SS7, I was trying to get the adapter out
    and snapped the record right in half

• Options

I rolled over a pile of rare 45's with an office chair, cracking 3

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    I found a Love Depression record with rainbow vinyl. The first time I took it out of the sleeve it slipped and while catching it I scratched the record with my nail. The scratch covers 2/3 of the B side and can be heard most of the time.

Another time a flexi got stuck on the player and while trying to get it off I tore it. It's a unique flexi with music and a hilarious pitch for a movie that was never made. Irreplaceable I'm affraid (any time soon anyway).

Sob.

• Nothing that caused me a sleepless night but the 2nd The Nice LP UK copy in mint condition (and you know what silly prices these UK 60's LP's can go for). Just rubbing one thumb print off with my sleeve, slipped and proceeded to rub my thumbnail the entire length of the LP. Nice deep scratch!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    It didn't scrach or get hurt, but my heart skipped a couple beats when I dropped my Mulatu s/t in the middle of the street. Thank god it was still in it's cover with a cardboard support.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i somehow gouged s hole right in the beginning of "soft wind" on my gary pacific orchestra record. you gotta cue it up mad careful to avoid a big pop, and it still clicks for a couple rotations

i also somehow got alcohol (rum maybe?) on my purple snow "down by the river" giving it a pfffft for the first 10 rotations. that really fucking hurt.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I broke my first copy of THE METERS - REJUVENATION

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Last year I found an nigh-unplayed promo copy of MECCA & THE SOUL BROTHER 2LP for $2. I was enjoying listening to it while bragging about my find on SoulStrut when all the sudden I heard a horrendous crash from the stereo. A metal 45 adapter sitting on the vibrating speaker had fallen directly on the wax, bouncing around and causing about 4 deep gashes on record 1, side 2.

What was that about record karma?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Back when I wanted to be a scratch DJ I used to scratch Casey Kasem saying, "That was Def Leopard, debuting at number 34 on Casey's Top 40 with... rrrrockit.. rrrock r-r-rock rockit!" And so forth. I scratched the hell out of that record.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nigh-unplayed

you

rock

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    nigh-unplayed

you

rock

I just look at it this way: I paid $2, and now it's worth $2.

That's nothing... one time the entire speaker came crashing down on my friend's record during our now-defunct radio show... split the thing into a few pieces...

• Dropped a ciggy on my king tutt. M- to vg- in one second, rubbish fun.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I was asked not to tell this story again, but I cant resist, so I will leave out the strutter's name...

this record was found with a warp. The aforementioned strutter had an idea, "I could iron the warp out" I think he said it was like a knife through butter or something. It was given to me with the clear impression of an iron across the grooves, I think the name brand of the iron was visible as well, if I remember correctly, I think it was a Sunbeam. I made the last part up, but he did really fuck up a record with an iron.

(I plan to make a raer funk 45 coaster set, which of course this is to be the cornerstone piece)

The first copy of Tom Drunk I ever got was just packaged in a mailer with no padding, no bubble wrap, nothing. I took a boxcutter to it and nicked a chunk off the record while opening the box... I've had several copies since but tend to sell them... something about that knife slice through the first 30 seconds is endearing.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    You guys are clumsy i've never messed up a record i own.Dont hate me because i'm perfect

You guys are clumsy i've never messed up a record i own.

That's right, your records come pre-messed up!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    3 days after receiving it in the mail i picked up my AIR album with one hand off the turntable and drove my index finger nail right into the the track "miss bessie", which ironicly is my favorite track on the album.after that i couldn't stand to look at the record, thanks to johnny paycheck though i got another copy and gave the damaged one to my homeboy.

peace,xavier

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    This isn't one I did, but one night I had a bunch of people over at my place drankin and spinning records til way late/early the next day. When I woke I started trying to re-file all the records that were pulled out and found a huge scuff across side 1 of my GZA "Liquid Swords" LP. I know who was playing that record and asked him about it and he still denies it to my face to this day. He's still my boy, but he's gonna get his one day, I ain't forgot that shit...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    how are ya'll scratchin records with your nails???? cut your damn nails freddy kreuger!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    how are ya'll scratchin records with your nails???? cut your damn nails freddy kreuger!

not a problem for Ashrock and I.

myself as well however nasty hang nails and uneven craggly nubs can fuck up records for sure

• how are ya'll scratchin records with your nails???? cut your damn nails freddy kreuger!

myself as well however nasty hang nails and uneven craggly nubs can fuck up records for sure

I'll bleed on a record from my nails before I scratch it...though, that could fuck it up a la the rum a few posts up.

• Tried to get a skip out of this LP, by weighting down my needle, and depressing over the skip a few time, which of course was on the best cut. However, it wasn't working, and frustrated, I ended up causing a nasty mark and a couple more skips... needless to say I scratched that method from my repertoire - and I'm keeping my nails short.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

this record was found with a warp. The aforementioned strutter had an idea, "I could iron the warp out" I think he said it was like a knife through butter or something. It was given to me with the clear impression of an iron across the grooves, I think the name brand of the iron was visible as well, if I remember correctly, I think it was a Sunbeam. I made the last part up, but he did really fuck up a record with an iron.

if it had a warp, it was already fucked up, don't you think?