Records You've Scratched (Heartbreak Related)

2»

Comments

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Bought a M- og copy of BDP - 'Criminal Minded' LP with the gold label, took it straight home to play it, and was exceedingly pissed to find out it was the instrumental version. No indication on the picture cover anywhere to let me know of the fact. It was identical to the normal og pressing with vocals. In furious anger I snatched it off the player, launching it at the bookshelf with all my might, where it broke into hundreds of tiny pieces. I was still finding little bits of it 3 years later when we moved out of the house.

Since found out that it's and a legit pressing.

But I also read somewhere that these instros were mistakes by the pressing plant and the label just left them in the shops. Is this true, does anyone know the story?

• Bought a M- og copy of BDP - 'Criminal Minded' LP with the gold label, took it straight home to play it, and was exceedingly pissed to find out it was the instrumental version. No indication on the picture cover anywhere to let me know of the fact. It was identical to the normal og pressing with vocals. In furious anger I snatched it off the player, launching it at the bookshelf with all my might, where it broke into hundreds of tiny pieces. I was still finding little bits of it 3 years later when we moved out of the house.

Since found out that it's and a legit pressing.

But I also read somewhere that these instros were mistakes by the pressing plant and the label just left them in the shops. Is this true, does anyone know the story?

I too bought this in the late 80's, didn't realise it was rare/sought after?

I only recently bought another out of a friends hip hop collection, to discover a scratch through South Bronx

Will make do with my UK copy for actually listening to.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was under the impression the instro version
    was the first version released - I think they
    say "Hot Club Version" on the cover? I know I
    had the instro version before the vocal
    version, back when they first came out.
    In fact, my friend and I were all into the album
    as just an instro record, thought it was sick,
    and then found the vocal release, which
    took everything to the next level...

• I was under the impression the instro version
    was the first version released - I think they
    say "Hot Club Version" on the cover? I know I
    had the instro version before the vocal
    version, back when they first came out.
    In fact, my friend and I were all into the album
    as just an instro record, thought it was sick,
    and then found the vocal release, which
    took everything to the next level...

There was the "Hot Club Version", as you say, which came in a different sleeve (alternative picture) with a red label but myself and the other guy have an instrumental pressing with the proper gold label and cover that belongs to the vocal version pressing.

Another friend of mine also owns this "odd" instrumental pressing.

Hot Club definitely came out after the vocal version, along with Man & His Music.

I'm pretty sure the "Hot Club" instros came out at
    basically the same time as the vocal version, if not even
    sooner - like I say, I owned it in 1986 or 1987. I'm pretty sure it
    was in a cover with the same photo as the Vocal LP,
    but 20 years has clouded my memory on this detail.

"Man & His Music" came out only a year or less later, in '88.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

this record was found with a warp. The aforementioned strutter had an idea, "I could iron the warp out" I think he said it was like a knife through butter or something. It was given to me with the clear impression of an iron across the grooves, I think the name brand of the iron was visible as well, if I remember correctly, I think it was a Sunbeam. I made the last part up, but he did really fuck up a record with an iron.

if it had a warp, it was already fucked up, don't you think?

possibly, but I think the story is funny, that is why I posted it...

• I'm pretty sure the "Hot Club" instros came out at
    basically the same time as the vocal version, if not even
    sooner - like I say, I owned it in 1986 or 1987. I'm pretty sure it
    was in a cover with the same photo as the Vocal LP,
    but 20 years has clouded my memory on this detail.

"Man & His Music" came out only a year or less later, in '88.

Like you 20 years has clouded my memory so I'll not disagree with you

I think there must have been some strange stuff happening with B Boy Record releases at the time.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I think it was a Sunbeam.

It was a Sunbeam! And I'm soooo over that. Good thing I already had a copy. I'm just happy to donate to the coaster raer collection. Do you have any requests? I'd be happy to contribute some others for the casue.

My new shit for the 06 though is to scratch my records and have no earthly idea when or how it happened. OVer the weekend I was playing a record I haven't played in a long while that I swear used to be NM. As of Saturday it somehow acquired a nasty gash on the only track I really like.. well one of 2 I like. Anybody looking for that Al Beletto Coaches Choice record with a scratch on the break?

Hookup, you get the holly jolly Thomas East?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I think it was a Sunbeam.

It was a Sunbeam! And I'm soooo over that. Good thing I already had a copy. I'm just happy to donate to the coaster raer collection. Do you have any requests? I'd be happy to contribute some others for the casue.

Hookup, you get the holly jolly Thomas East?

bring on all your coaster raers!

I am going to the mail place today, I havent gone in over a week, because someone crashed a car or some shit into the place and it was hard to park at the place and it was closed for a few days, crazy fucking mail place as you know from my other descriptions of it, my mailbox lease is up next month, so I think I will be movin on after then...but I am checking the mail today...I am sure it is there.

I am starting to listen to records I forgot why I hadnt listened to in a while...I will hear a hot track and wonder, "why havent I been listening to this!?" and about 45 seconds later a repeating skip occurs.."oh yeah", most recently bummer like this was joques and le scott's cover of Ornette Coleman's "Lorraine"...shit I love that thing, can any Canadian strutters help a dood out with a non-scratched copy?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Oh lord where to start, where to start. For being the collectro that I am I'm kind of embarrassed at my lack anal-rentativeness when it comes to keeping my records nice a tidy.

-Womb S/T_Friends cat did a dance on it_Skips galore

-50 Foot Hose "Cauldron"_Spilled weed bubbler juice on it while I was getting a little too spiritual. "Rose is OK, but other side is fucked.

-Heaven Sent & Ecstasy_Leaning over, car keys fall out of my breast pocket onto it. "Success Y'all" is scratched, though no big deal as this song sucks.

-Lee Gagnon "Jeremie"_Drunk, dropped it on the corner of my table_Lots of noise that was once on a Mint copy.

-Doris "Have you given the world any love today baby"_Weed cough, to phlegm spray, to sticky record. This has mad surface noise now, and skips on the track "Beatmaker".

-Hanged Man OST_Window shade was not drawn on a really sunny hot day. Left it on the turntable in direct sunlight. Looks like bean dip.....

There is a bunch more. Basically whenever I get hammered and have people over for an afterparty type joint, and I spin records, I fuck them up.

There is another record that I'm too embarassed to even mention what happend or what LP it is.

Oh well. It's only objects.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    oh i like this one

my turntable fell on my head last week (along with a digi 001). on the turntable was a soundtrack "vivre pour vivre"... there is a giant scratch that runs the whole thing. pretty amazing accident. i went to the hospital for that concussion. ps whats with going to the hospital for a concussion. so useless--

doc: "you have a huge lump on your head"

yo thats true doc. what should i do

"you should avoid falling objects, dun"

thanks doc, should i ice that shit

"its your call dude, its up to whether or not you want a bigger lump or or slightly less curvy bump"

one of my favourite scratched records is Special Ed youngest in charge. The last time i djed i got pretty drunk and i guess i was just walking on it for 2 hours. it would have been cool if there wasnt pebbles on the ground. incidentally... 'i got it made' came through unscathed

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    oh i like this one

my turntable fell on my head last week (along with a digi 001). on the turntable was a soundtrack "vivre pour vivre"... there is a giant scratch that runs the whole thing. pretty amazing accident. i went to the hospital for that concussion. ps whats with going to the hospital for a concussion. so useless--

doc: "you have a huge lump on your head"

yo thats true doc. what should i do

"you should avoid falling objects, dun"

thanks doc, should i ice that shit

"its your call dude, its up to whether or not you want a bigger lump or or slightly less curvy bump"

one of my favourite scratched records is Special Ed youngest in charge. The last time i djed i got pretty drunk and i guess i was just walking on it for 2 hours. it would have been cool if there wasnt pebbles on the ground. incidentally... 'i got it made' came through unscathed
    this was one of the best overall posts ive ever read

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    He had you with "dun", didn't he TheMack?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yizzer

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I used to play in the front room of this bar where the back room was for live bands. Anyone going to or coming from the back would walk right by the leftside of the stage where I was set up.

One night a band with a mostly jock fanbase was playing in the back and during a DJ Krush song, one mouthbreather came from the back and as he's walking by made a scratching motion with his hand above the record and made that stupid scratching sound but was so hammered that he actually knocked the arm straight across the record and put an ugly slash in it. He got kicked out, but really, he should have replaced my record and I should have been given the opportunity to give him at least one good hard kick in the ass.

mouthbreather

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I used to play in the front room of this bar where the back room was for live bands. Anyone going to or coming from the back would walk right by the leftside of the stage where I was set up.

One night a band with a mostly jock fanbase was playing in the back and during a DJ Krush song, one mouthbreather came from the back and as he's walking by made a scratching motion with his hand above the record and made that stupid scratching sound but was so hammered that he actually knocked the arm straight across the record and put an ugly slash in it. He got kicked out, but really, he should have replaced my record and I should have been given the opportunity to give him at least one good hard kick in the ass.

At least it was a Krush record

I agree that you should've been able to put a scratch in his ass, though

• Options

I'm envisioning a cat paw with used needles as claws...and a bloody back/Domi jersey

K.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I'm envisioning a cat paw with used needles as claws...and a bloody back/Domi jersey

K.

lol - about right - it was the blue button-down/ill-fitting khakis/blond brush-cut variety of jockdom though.

• Options

Now I'm envisioning this far east Scarboroough school. MAny called it "Mowhite" nad the all wore the button down blue polo witht he brown horse/pleated khaki/deck shoe combo. They had a great hockey team (Chris Draper went there).

K.