Options

Weekday Finds

edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Rare mento/calypso LP on the Kalypso label - uses Ska as a selling feature only. It's pure mento and calypso.Don't know if this is a comp of here stuff. Regardless, quality female-sung samba....and Damn! does MS. Pittman look attractive in just a t-shirtLove this LP. Includes self-penned jazz dance track "Toot that Whistle". Toronto has a couple more tall buildings other than the Royal York, now.Quality Swedish?Norwegian? Prog Rock/Jazz LP with incredible track "Sambahmadu".One of Doggett's best LP's.Storming Canadian garage LP from Ottawa area quartet. What the fuck are the parameters here that allowed so many great 60's garage LP's/45's. this fucking country is littered with 'em. Capitol 6000.K in Canada.

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    david porter-victim of a joke? (w/ the cover completely intact!!!)
    peter green-in the skies
    syl johnson-cocrete reservation/together,forever 45
    eddie drennon-it don't mean a thing
    the new bermuda stealers-life
    the blues magoos-gulf coast bound -this album is so ill

bodacious df-s/t
    the corporation-s/t (psych shit on capitol with a 19 minute cover of "india" by john coletrane)
    ramsey lewis-back to the roots
    ike and tina turner-the hunter
    nektar-journey to the centre of the eye
    atomic rooster-made in england

• Options

You guys have got to stop buying this. Hope it was cheap...or free.

K.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

You guys have got to stop buying this. Hope it was cheap...or free.

K.

is that the one where they arel ll in theose green suits/sweaters/shit?
    always tempting to pick up cuase they look thorough.

• Options
    Yep. Took me years to slap that impulse away.

K.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    sad man selling 6000 records to raise some money for his handicapped daughter, I only pulled out Sergio Mendes 77 (euroversion) + some common pop LP's, I sorta felt bad for him.

damnthats real sad. thanks for bringing me down.
    weekend finds:
    settled up an old outstanding situation the other day and received pay in records:
    mulaku daku- philly afro percussion LP
    del jones test pressing- of the continent cover. after 1st listen sounds same as LP
    zee rocks the copy- a couple copies
    a mystery record by someone called ianacomb or something like that. kind of like a solo mcdonald and giles

gimme what you got 12
    average white band-show your hand (my white whale)
    herm's jesus break
    benji stk
    sweet salvation - ok version of rock steady
    some other things

• Cal Tjader- Plugs In
    Jorge Ben - Africa Brasil (clean OG for $2)
    Dismasters - Small Time Hustler (I think this is OG - "Mastered by Trutone, PA 3-88" in the dead wax?)
    Kaos & Mystro - Timeless Insight Of Kaos (nice and self-deprecating)
    James Mason - Rhythm Of Life reissue
    Kool & The Gang - Kool Jazz
    Mongo Santamaria - Dawn (Amanecer) [a late 70's album on Vaya that I'd never come across before]
    Mongo - Soul Bag
    Kinshasa United Artists - Zaire Vol. 2
    Silver Platinum & Gold - Just Friends 45
    James Brown - Talking Loud & Saying Nothing ("rock version") this is an double for me, bought it still sealed in a Woolworth bag! Wish you could still buy 45s "3 for 88 cents" there.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Here's a twist on weekend finds. How about I show you what people DIDN'T buy from me at the record show this past Sunday?

So people. Show NC how it's done! Come out to the Holiday Inn on Glenwood Ave. this Sunday, buy some of them jaunts and prove to these local yokels what kind of vinyl baller you really are!

Now for what I found today:

- Another heavy rock LP from Three Man Army, my new favorite band.
    - Promo copy of Aphrodite's Child 666 - a little psych, a little prog
    - Promo copy of Directions Band - 1976 Brunswick funk/modern soul - nice one mate
    - Maryann Farra & Satin soul - 1976 Brunswick disco - female "Stoned out of My Mind" yes plaese (same art director as above album, natch)
    - SOS Band "Take Your Time" classic
    - Poe's UP THROUGH THE SPIRAL decent psych rock

$30 well spent.

And oh yeah, copped this for $30 too:

The lady and I ate up the first season lickety split and she insisted I nab this one toot sweet.
    THE WIRE IS TV CRACK I TELL YOU

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Here's a twist on weekend finds. How about I show you what people DIDN'T buy from me at the record show this past Sunday?

what kinda prices are ya charging?

What the hell are you talking about? I just wait to see what record these suckers bring to me for pricing, then tell them that one isn't for sale because "it's going on eBay."

But seriously, nothing is priced 'cos I'm lazy; I just give prices on the fly and try to be reasonable. The point is that all those records were just sitting there at the record show and nobody in NC bothered to even ask about them. All I got was "You got anything on Apple?" and "You got any Moodys? The Moody Blues I mean."

What the hell are you talking about? I just wait to see what record these suckers bring to me for pricing, then tell them that one isn't for sale because "it's going on eBay."

But seriously, nothing is priced 'cos I'm lazy; I just give prices on the fly and try to be reasonable. The point is that all those records were just sitting there at the record show and nobody in NC bothered to even ask about them. All I got was "You got anything on Apple?" and "You got any Moodys? The Moody Blues I mean."

looks like i woulda been pulling maad shit out. wonder how much i woulda had to put back. i tend to go overboard.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I went back to a DJ/Producer I've been buying from off and on, hoping to grip his Terry Callier and Skull Snaps and shit that was in the "not for sale" pile last time ... they were nowhere to be found but I did catch mint, unplayed doubles of

Burn Rubber

&

Stepping Out

I'm such a dork... but I am almost more geeked about finding those.

Burn Rubber

&

Stepping Out

Heavy finds GQ. I will never question your dollarbin cowboy funk and "jazz hands" game ever again.

• Here's a twist on weekend finds. How about I show you what people DIDN'T buy from me at the record show this past Sunday?

Is the afrique soulmakossa rare? How much would you charge?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

and makossa dibango 45

• No camera at work, so no flicks...but, here's the list of lunchtime digs:

Archie Shepp- Cry of My People
    Leon Thomas- Spirits Known and Unknown
    Bobby & James Purify- Best of...

And the best dig of the day...

• Options
    Found some more today:

Raw production (likely mixed by Ossie Creary of Half Moon). Real Rock rhythm (but far fromt he cheesy end of the spectrum) - includes an awesome trumpet solo at the end (and over the dub). Found 5 of them.

Boom 12" weed ode complete with Dub b side (and edited instrumental onto the A). found a half-full box of these. holler!. Hurbe Skank

Rare Half Moon 45.

Bongo Herman workin' it out.

Includes Linval Thompson's "I Love MArijuana" in addition to great Gregory Isaacs tracks.

Absolute mosnter of a roots LP. Speaker flex supreme.

Dub/instrumental keeper.

Ah, don't see this in too many collections. Believe it or not, a double.

Interesting furniture store fare.

K in Canada.

i heart superape

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i heart superape

what's a ball-park figure for a clean copy?

• Options
    $90-$140. It'll be going on my list if it doesn't disappear before it's sent out.

K.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Couldn't really get into that Bobby Ellis... it's a dope record. Didn't force me to keep it, however.

• Options
    I'm a sucker for reggae soul covers and the B side has a "Get Ready" in addition to a killer roots dub (whcih I have the vocal too). Rest of it was ehhh.

...oh and a MArley Wailers "Soul Revelution PArt 2" doubles on Maroon. Don't know why I didn't take pictures of these (maybe because i was listening to them).

Any you San Fran dudes see that Earl Zero out there???

K in Canada.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    gene chandler - 'there was a time!' (brunswick)
    chuck jackson - 'raindrops keep fallin' on my heart' (vip)

• SOME HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE LAST MONTH OR SO...FIRST OFF
    SEALED COPY...SHOULD I OPEN???TEXMEX FUNK

THIS ONE IS BLOWING MY MIND...ABSOLUTELY NASTY LATIN FUNK FROM GOD KNOWS WHERE...I NEED MORE OF THIS IN MY LIFE

LASTLY, IM PUZZLED WITH THIS ONE...LED ZEPPELIN TEST PRESS???

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

TMOQ

TMOQ

i have a very similar record. its a live double album. with the same yellow paper on a white sleeve, but diff artwork on the paper.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    bootleg

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    The Zep is def. a bootleg. The Trade Mark of Quality stamp is from some OG bootleg makers. i got a book 'Bootleg, The Secret Recording Industry' at the Valley Forge record expo two years ago and it drops a lot of knowledge on bootlegs from the 60s and 70s.

i would imagine that there really arent that many copies of that around. A lot of the TMQ releases were runs in the 10 - 15,000 if i'm not mistaken.