Blues~Psych~Soul Suggestions

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music Talk
I don't have that good of a feel for how deep this sub-genre is, because I'm pretty brand new to the blues in the first place. All I know is that I've really been feeling that Don Covay "House of Blue Lights," similar feel to the Black Merda and Electric Mud, but what else is out there that sounds like this?Any suggestions?

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Funkadelic

---

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Not really soundalike, but Flaming Ember put out some tasty Soul Psych stuff.

• edwards generation.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Any blues heads on here?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't have that good of a feel for how deep this sub-genre is, because I'm pretty brand new to the blues in the first place. All I know is that I've really been feeling that Don Covay "House of Blue Lights," similar feel to the Black Merda and Electric Mud, but what else is out there that sounds like this?

Any suggestions?

Have you checked The Howling Wolf Album?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Bo Diddley 'Black Gladiator'?

---

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Chess/Cadet is probably the home of most of this genre

And while it isn't a great record, this one fits the bill:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Free Beer and Chicken by John Lee Hooker is decent too.

Looking and sounding good folks, thanks for the additional drops.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hooker N Heat is nice. John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat...double LP if i remember right. Lots of Hook just talking too for the samplers.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    edwards generation.

DIE.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Mr.Cix LP "Country Boy, City Man" on the Haze label out of L.A.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't have that good of a feel for how deep this sub-genre is, because I'm pretty brand new to the blues in the first place. All I know is that I've really been feeling that Don Covay "House of Blue Lights," similar feel to the Black Merda and Electric Mud, but what else is out there that sounds like this?

Any suggestions?

Have you checked The Howling Wolf Album?

major co-sign.

Stay away from anything white people too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Not to be nitpicky, but that Don Covay album sounds pretty rootsy and down-home to me - I hear nothing particuarly psych-y or Electric Muddish about it...although it is good, don't get me wrong.

(And we've seen blues artists making soul records, but the Covay is one of the FEW, if not the ONLY instance I can think of where a SOUL guy makes a DELTA BLUES album...)

EDIT: since the tone of this thread seems to be blues guys making psych records (I was confused by the references to Black Merda, Funkadelic and Flaming Ember, who I don't really consider blues), I'll recommend:

- Fenton Robinson, Monday Morning Blues & Boogie
    - Lowell Fulson, In A Heavy Bag
    - Lightnin' Hopkins, The Great Electric Show & Dance

and a surprising Chicago single from the 80's:

- the Lord Of Lightning, "Woke Up This Morning" b/w "I Want To Show You" on the Shandu label

• There is an album by a group called the Next Morning, they were originally from Trinidad but they gained notoriety playing in NYC in the late 60s. Sundazed reisssued it on CD with a decent bit of information included. Some of the vocals are kind of irritating to me, but there are several really strong tracks mostly towards the second side in my opinion.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i like these two and they somewhat fit into the categories you've mentioned...more soulpsych than blues perhaps.

Gangsters of Love - S/T

Chambers Brothers - New Generation

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Any blues heads on here?

Oh yea - this is a great great record:

Any blues heads on here?

That's my hand goin' up. Wanna start another thread to talk about the real, non-psych stuff? Just last week I bought a Slim Harpo live CD (recorded in 1961)...that Excello Records swamp blues thing is the authentic sound, right there...

Any blues heads on here?

That's my hand goin' up. Wanna start another thread to talk about the real, non-psych stuff? Just last week I bought a Slim Harpo live CD (recorded in 1961)...that Excello Records swamp blues thing is the authentic sound, right there...

Sure, but like I said, a lot of the blues any deeper or more obscure than King, Waters, and Bland is new to me. I've just heard a couple things that have caught my ear recently and have tried to find an "in" with the genre until I'm ready to jump in head first. But it might be easier if I just get pushed in!

• edwards generation.

DIE.

drink milk fool

Any blues heads on here?

Sure, but like I said, a lot of the blues any deeper or more obscure than King, Waters, and Bland is new to me. I've just heard a couple things that have caught my ear recently and have tried to find an "in" with the genre until I'm ready to jump in head first. But it might be easier if I just get pushed in!

That Don Covay album you like so much may be a start. Even though he's a soul man, that House Of Blue Lights album is mostly straight-ahead blues, with hardly any psychy-rocky overtones (although a song or two, like the weird "Homemade Love," is in his familiar soul bag).

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There's a Blues section now in the reviews so if you have some time you could browse through there. I had a period where I was after a lot of funky Blues LPs and a lot of them get reviewed there.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Blues

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Outlaw Blues Band.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    HENDRIX[/b] always

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Any blues heads on here?

Oh yea - this is a great great record:

• mind garage, mount rushmore, rubber band

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the other don covay record on janus is real real thorough. i like it a lot better than house of blue lights...but i dont really look for blues sounding records.

what about mel brown? he did a bit of genre bending, no?

• phil upchurch-the way i feel....anybody feeling this album?

• Can't stop listening to Spirit "The Other Song", as heard on AEIOU2.. that whole mix is face-melting, but that song is like a warm summer night in the country. On psylocybins.

Thanks to those responsible for putting that mix together, if you're reading this.

Is the rest of this album worth tracking down?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Chambers Brothers - New Generation

I heart this album so much. When The Evening Comes never stops melting my face.