Blues~Psych~Soul Suggestions

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Big Maybelle - Got a Brand New Bag - Rojac LP 1967

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    the other don covay record on janus is real real thorough. i like it a lot better than house of blue lights...but i dont really look for blues sounding records.

what about mel brown? he did a bit of genre bending, no?
    I bought Mel Brown - Blues For We a few months ago, haven't listened to it yet though, I'm thinking I should give it a go soon.

Oh yeah, I've said it before & I will proclaim it's awesomeness until the day I die. Magic Sam - West Side Soul, if you like your blues mixed with soul you need this album in your life.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    the other don covay record on janus is real real thorough.

Don had more LP's and singles besides the Janus album and House Of Blue Light. The Atlantic and Mercury LP's are excellent Southern-styled soul music. Bluesy? Yeah, sorta. Psychedelic? I. Don't. Think. So.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the other don covay record[/b] on janus is real real thorough.

Don had more LP's and singles besides the Janus album and House Of Blue Light. The Atlantic and Mercury LP's are excellent Southern-styled soul music. Bluesy? Yeah, sorta. Psychedelic? I. Don't. Think. So.

forgot the psychedelic part. "different strokes for different folks" is the don covay LP. definitely not "out there" but its a great record.

whatsup residentgiant.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    the other don covay record[/b] on janus is real real thorough.

forgot the psychedelic part. "different strokes for different folks" is the don covay LP. definitely not "out there" but its a great record.

whatsup residentgiant.

Is that the one with What's In The Headlines on? Great great track, ashamed to admit that I've never heard the rest of the album.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    little boy blues band is bluesy-psych.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    the other don covay record on janus is real real thorough. i like it a lot better than house of blue lights...but i dont really look for blues sounding records.

I bought Mel Brown - Blues For We a few months ago, haven't listened to it yet though, I'm thinking I should give it a go soon.

Listen to that MoFo. Mel Brown is one of my favorite players. All of his records that I own are good.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Blues

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Can't stop listening to Spirit "The Other Song", as heard on AEIOU2.. that whole mix is face-melting, but that song is like a warm summer night in the country. On psylocybins.
    Thanks to those responsible for putting that mix together, if you're reading this.

Is the rest of this album worth tracking down?

Not really. I only like that one song.

"different strokes for different folks" is the don covay LP (on Janus).

Is that the one with What's In The Headlines on? Great great track

Yep, that song is on there. Always makes me smile when Don refers to himself in the third person on that cut. "Good morning hard times/Where can DON COVAY earn a dime?"

Yep, that song is on there. Always makes me smile when Don refers to himself in the third person on that cut. "Good morning hard times/Where can DON COVAY earn a dime?"

Yeah it's such a lovely understated song - notice that album still hasn't been reissued so some digging is in order.

Got an email from a friend of Don last year after I posted about him - apparently Don and his son Tony have been writing some new songs and looking for someone to release them - would love to hear them.

Yeah it's such a lovely understated song - notice that album still hasn't been reissued so some digging is in order.

The album was reissued in the 80's in the UK as Sweet Thang, on the Topside label. This is the version I have. I don't think the whole album is up there with his classics (IMO), but you cannot front on "What's In The Headlines," "Where There's A Will There's A Way," or "Ain't Nothing A Young Girl Can Do" (but show Don where an older woman is).

I think another UK label (Shout?) is about to rerelease it on CD for the first time, if they haven't already.

The album was reissued in the 80's in the UK as Sweet Thang, on the Topside label. This is the version I have. I don't think the whole album is up there with his classics (IMO), but you cannot front on "What's In The Headlines," "Where There's A Will There's A Way," or "Ain't Nothing A Young Girl Can Do" (but show Don where an older woman is).

I think another UK label (Shout?) is about to rerelease it on CD for the first time, if they haven't already.

Cheers pickwick - will keep an eye out for it.

Listen to that MoFo. Mel Brown is one of my favorite players. All of his records that I own are good.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Blues
    Actually, thanks, because your review is one of the reasons I picked it up.

• Johnny Winter - The Progressive Blues Experiment

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    if anyone could identify this group that jel uses for interludes on Greenball... i would b ever so grateful!

heres the interludes
    http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3AZJQQ9Z4A8RX1V9HH5K0ZPMUF

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Sacred Mushroom might fall into the Blues psych category (notice the small p)